The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MIDI vs.MGU-Files in 2011
Leon Carpenter

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2011 10:11 am    

Maybe someone can tell me why when using an e-machine model T5048 with upgraded ram to 2gb, a midi file played thru Anvil studios will play normal. When playing an mgu file with a mixture of midi and real tracks ,the real tracks play normal, but the midi parts will not make a sound. The same file on my sony lap top will play everything normal. I have tried the resetting to factory specs., with no change. Also the notation section will not respond to commands. I will note that the sony has the mixer with selectable playback and record choices. The e-machine has only the speaker vol. control. The e-machine is XP, the sony is vista. The BIAB version is 2011. I must be missing needed drivers for the midi. Also, you get what you pay for and sometimes pay for what you get sooner or later Mad Leon Carpenter

Robert Tripp

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2011 1:33 pm    

Check your midi settings, output driver etc, does that machine have midi capability?

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.

Leon Carpenter

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2011 4:26 pm     MIDI vs.MGU-Files in 2011

Robert, As stated in the beginning of the post, the e-machine will play midi songs opened in a program like Anvil Studios. If an mgu file has a combination of midi and wav. it plays the wav. but not the midi. The computer is not at my home, I do not own it, would not own it. Smile I am relaying imformation I recieve by phone. Is this a trait of e-machines and how can it be overcome. Thanks Leon

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2011 7:43 pm    

Leon,

It has nothing to do with it being and e-machine computer. This is a software problem, and is likely due to you not having BIAB setup correctly. Since other programs are playing MIDI files, the problem has to be within BIAB. Check your MIDI drivers. Personally,I use the Roland DXi synth, that comes with BIAB. It works well with Windows XP and Vista. If you have problems, call PG Music tech support while you're at the computer and they'll have you going very quickly.

I cover this setup procedure in my instructional DVD, which I think you already have.

Good luck.

Smile

Leon Carpenter

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2011 9:16 am     MIDI vs.MGU-Files in 2011

Thanks for the inputs. I will call P.G. And yes I have the BIAB made easy. And yes those settings were tried. Leon

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2011 1:58 pm     Re: MIDI vs.MGU-Files in 2011

Leon Carpenter wrote:
Thanks for the inputs. I will call P.G. And yes I have the BIAB made easy. And yes those settings were tried. Leon

Sometimes you have to install the Roland Virtual Sound Canvas Dxi youself, as it's not installed automatically with the BIAB program. In any case, it will probsably be a simple fix, and the PG Guys will get you going. You might also try returning the program to the factory defaults.

Smile