The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do fretboards ever start to come un-stuck on some psg's?
Benjamin Wolfram

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2010 10:09 pm    

Okay I posted up before asking about a specific guitar but I guess I don't need to be doing that on a public forum. I've noticed a bit of a raised spot on my fretboard and was just wondering if this is something that is quite common with pedal steel guitars and if it's an easy fix or not.

My guitar isn't very old but we have had some crazy weather down here in Melbourne Australia lately and I can't help thinking that the humidity might have got to it and caused some of the glue to give up.

I'm just wanting to know if others have had to deal with this kind of problem also.

Last edited by Benjamin Wolfram on 11 Dec 2010 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2010 10:27 pm    

It seems to me that, from what I know about the manufacturer, you could have simply asked him personally about this to resolve the problem.

Last edited by Jim Palenscar on 12 Dec 2010 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2010 3:58 am    

Super-glue applied via a razor-blade slipped under the fretboard after a smear of super-glue is applied to the blade? Remove blade, then a few seconds of pressure applied with a finger-tip should suffice.

OR

Contact adhesive applied in a similar manner? Probably need to jam something under the strings to hold the fretboard down on the neck until the adhesive sets. (Did this on my Fessey D12)
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2010 4:33 am    

Benjamin...Had a similar situation. Used a hair dryer to heat the problem spot and reactivate the glue, then pressed down with a coin until the spot cooled, good as new.

Benjamin Wolfram

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2010 11:03 am    

David Nugent wrote:
Benjamin...Had a similar situation. Used a hair dryer to heat the problem spot and reactivate the glue, then pressed down with a coin until the spot cooled, good as new.

That sounds pretty good...did it actually last?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2010 11:04 pm    

Played a gig in Northern Ca (Arcata, almost Oregon) in the 70's. Outdoor gig. Set up my steel in the sun, high humidity. Went to tune a couple hours later and noticed the fretboard on my ZB S-10 was bowed up in the middle and touching the strings. Went into town and got some Super Glue and glued it back down.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2010 3:10 am    

Benjamin...So far, so good, it seems to be holding nicely....Note: If the spot is too large, you may have to work it slowly toward the pickup end heating the fretboard as you go which would necessitate removing the strings. If this method is required, use a flat piece of wood wrapped in an old cotton sock to protect the fretboard.

John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2010 12:35 pm    

My Sho-Bud fretboard is coming up around the 12th fret on the treble side. I tried the hair dryer method but I guess I didn't get it hot enough. I was concerned about damaging the lacquer. I may try it again.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2010 4:16 pm    

john...My suggestion was assuming that the guitar in question was equipped with aluminum necks, sorry about the omission. I would use caution when heating any lacquer surface.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2010 6:39 pm    

I guess that's why on many early steel guitars the fingerboards were nailed on. Those fingerboards never come unstuck. Winking