The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  B to BbV knee lever
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2010 4:53 pm    

I have been thinking of adding the B to BbV knee lever and am a little sketchy as to what changes this can add. Could someone please clarify what chords I can achieve with this addition? I read somewhere that It will get a minor 7th with it engaged and the A&B pedals down. Is this correct, and if so what are the other chords it creates?I appreciate any help here , Thanks Dana
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2010 5:49 pm    

Dana,yes the minor chord with A&B down.You can get a II chord with out pedals. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2010 6:19 pm     B to BbV knee lever

Stu, Ok, so lets say for example at the third fret open (G)with the A&B pedals down plus the BbV lever engaged I can get a C minor chord? At the third fret without pedals with the BbV lever engaged I get an A minor seventh? Is this correct? any thing else? What do I get If I push the B lever down with the BbV lever engaged? Would this be a D major 7?Or a dominant 7? I'm just tryin to get clarification. Thanks
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2010 7:58 pm    

I like the chords you can get with the V lever, but maybe more so in other situations. i.e. Sometimes engaging A, B & V can be a smoother (or just cooler sounding) transition to where you're going than using the E lever, and vise versa. Also, it can be handy if you lower your second string to C# a lot. p.s The chord Stu was referring to is a dominant 9th, not minor. You could call it a five of five, or II (not ii). There's another A9 with pedals A, B & lever V on fret 7 with the root on string 9.

John Alexander

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 1:45 am    

For the II dominant 9th chord voicings you get on strings 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 (and 10 if the V lever is lowering it) with the V lever engaged and pedals up, you can get all the same notes by just moving the bar down a fret to lower the B strings without engaging the V lever, and simultaneously engaging pedal B and the F lever to bring the E and G# strings back up a half step. Sometimes that's a useful alternative - especially if you don't have the V lever yet!

However, lowering the B string(s) with the lever is usually handier in this context because the 2nd and 7th strings are then also in the mode of the chord, as is the 5th string without the V lever, or with the A pedal down, so there are a lot of licks and passages that lie right there, or in combination with the notes that are 2 frets higher.

Another use of the V lever I stumbled on recently is the 3 note 13th chord voicing you can get with the V lever and pedal B, on strings 3,4 and 5. Example, play a G triad on these strings at fret 3, then slide to fret 2 and engage the V lever and pedal B, to get a D13th. Then maybe slide down another fret and engage the F lever only to change it to a plain D7.

I hope I got all the strings and pedals named correctly, since I don't actually play E9, but all these changes work about the same on the Bb6.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 10:28 am     Re: B to BbV knee lever

Dana Blodgett wrote:
Stu, Ok, so lets say for example at the third fret open (G)with the A&B pedals down plus the BbV lever engaged I can get a C minor chord? At the third fret without pedals with the BbV lever engaged I get an A minor seventh? Is this correct? any thing else? What do I get If I push the B lever down with the BbV lever engaged? Would this be a D major 7?Or a dominant 7? I'm just tryin to get clarification. Thanks
Dana,Third fret without pedals give you an A7th,I'm not as smart as some of these other folks but that's the way I use it! Laughing Laughing
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 10:46 am    

you also get a well voiced diminished chord w: A & B + E ( lowers 4 & 8 a half tone) & V lever

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 12:53 pm     B to BbV lever

Thanks guys , I appreciate all the input here, This seems like a very useful change that I wasn't aware of. I want to add this, and it seems for me and my set-up(Emmons)that I am considering the left knee V. I know , I know I've read the threads before about where it belongs but I don't want to move four other knee levers just to add this change! I think it is more important to have the change and adapt to it if possible. Does anyone have it on a lever that pushes forward, say than up? Would this work? I am a big fan of simplicity. Thanks again to all who have jumped in here on this thread and have a happy thanksgiving to everyone out there.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 1:00 pm    

I think you'll find that left knee vertical is where (I'm just guessin') 75% of E9 players who have 5 or more levers have that change. It has been a standard change for decades.

John Alexander

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 2:49 pm    

Dana, one other thing to know is that if you play an antique guitar (like mine) the V lever may not combine with the A pedal to produce an in-tune note. Mine doesn't. My understanding is that this is what tuneable "splits" are all about, which I don't have. Without that, some of the minor and diminished chords probably don't work, but A7th at the third fret still does work.

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 1:46 am     B to Bb lever

Larry and John, Thanks for the input. I am tryin to see if I can make the changes with out this lever by different grips and or positions.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 2:46 am    

IF you are looking at the X lever to make chords you are looking at it incorrectly. It's value lays as allowing 3 scale notes on the 5th string ( and 10th) Natural, above and below. The ability to use these 5th string scale notes along with the 8th string notes ( 3 scale notes ,( natural, above and below ) allow you to embellish on any solo, any melody etc...

Can it allow for additional chord voicing's ? sure, but chords come from scales...not the other way around.

here's two examples in use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvtGqa6l3f4&feature=&p=8815177E1760D7C6&index=0&playnext=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY3aKxc6aDA&feature=related

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Rick Winfield

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 2:55 am     placement

I would suggest "careful placement" of the NEW "V" lever, so it is easily accessible when using it with the E raises and lowers.
Good luck
Rick

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 8:04 pm     B to Bb lever

Tony and Rick, , tryin to learn as much as possible before I add on... Mahalo for the info guys!Probably put on the left with the E's. Dana

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2010 8:43 am    

Yes standard placement is between the two E Levers , but

these days, whats standard ? Shocked I think the trick is as long as you can grab the lever with other pulls then all will be fine...

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website