The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fundamentals
David Dixon

Gadsden, Alabama
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 7:39 am    

I play 5 instruments. I took up the PSG about 8 months ago (for a total of 6 instruments). All of the other instruments have certain fundamentals to playing that must be learned. Are there any opinions out there for the fundamentals of the PSG?

Thanks,
Butch Dixon

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 8:15 am    

Be sure to plug the guitar into the amp. Rolling Eyes

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 9:15 am    

I'll give you a couple of starter ideas to search out on the Forum.

Basic right hand technique

Franklin's bar hand excersize

Tuning the guitar JI or ET

Chord inversions

This may not be what you meant, but these are all very fundamental to basic education on the instrument.

Ask more questions, you'll get plenty of advice!
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

David Dixon

Gadsden, Alabama
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 9:20 am    

Thanks Rick.

Erv you might want to go back a little further and go with buy a steel and amp and get them out of the box.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 9:24 am    

David,
You're right!! I forgot. Very Happy

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 9:28 am    

Butch: I equate "fundamentals" with technique. Unfortunately this could quickly degenerate, as there are many opinions regarding technique, including those that believe that trying to teach technique is a waste of time. I happen to firmly believe that technique is extremely important to playing the PSG well, so there's my bias. I also believe that there is no single correct answer, and you will have to choose which techniques work best for you.

Having said that, one of the primary challenges of the instrument is how to stop the ringing of the strings. This should be done by "damping" or "blocking" of the strings with either the heel of your right hand; referred to as "palm blocking", or with the finger picks of the right hand (and the occasional block with the middle finger of the left hand as it extends beyond the bar for the upper strings, or the thumb of the right hand as it holds the bar for lower strings); referred to as "pick blocking".

DO NOT develop the habit of stopping the ringing of the strings by picking up the bar. This is a technique that should be used only for certain novelty licks on the PSG. It should not be your main technique for playing the PSG. You will see some very good dobro and lap steel players using this technique, but you will rarely (if ever) see a good PSG player who picks up the bar as their main technique for stopping the ringing of the strings.

Good right hand technique is critical to success on our instrument. Find a good instructor in your area and take some lessons!!!

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 1:49 pm    

Learn where the chords are...

One chord can appear in what seems like a gazillion different places on the neck, depending on what pedals are in use.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 2:55 pm    

Yes, get a psychlogist and a divorce lawyer.

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 3:46 pm    

Don't use your volume pedal to try to "hide" mistakes.

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 4:56 pm    

Find a local teacher and let him guide you.

David Dixon

Gadsden, Alabama
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 5:53 pm    

Great stuff guys. I am experiencing one problem that is addressed about blocking. Due to my banjo and mandolin background I have a hard time making my hand rest on the istrument as a part of playing it. Any suggestions would help.

Also, where scales and fills are concerned. How is the best way to go about learning the scales? Single note versus 2 note, and vertical versus horizontal......

Stephen Cordingley

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 8:32 pm    

jeff newman's right hand alpha video is very clear and logical for right hand technique
joe wright's technique builder materials are very methodical in their approach to developing the dexterity and coordination that comes in really handy when trying to play psg
joe wright is probably as intensely technique - oriented (at least in the books) as I can imagine anyone being, if you've got the discipline to stick to it...(some of us wimp out and start to play sloppy versions of actual songs)

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 8:56 pm     Franklin's bar hand exercise

Rick, would you happen to have the Forum link on the Franklin's bar hand exercise?

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 9:05 pm    

I played dobro for a couple of years before I got a PSG. One 'bad' habit I struggled with was keeping my palm parallel to the strings as I picked. Jeff Newman is death on that grip. Learning to grip the various standard grips(another fine search)while using his method is very useful.

I explain it this way: Make a fist; place it on the table so your pinky is down, and your thumb joint is strait up. now open your hand like you are holding a golf ball. pull your pinky and ring finger in and leave your thumb-index-middle in a circle above the two fingers tucked in closer. Now rotate the hand towards the left and stop when the index knuckle is pointing strait up. What you do with the pinky and ring finger are up to you now, some leave them tucked, some extend them, others curl the pinky under the 1st string.Just work on making them grab strings 10,8,6..8,6,5..6,5,4..5,4,3..without needing to think too much...while holding the index knuckle fairly strait up. JMHO. I fall short of this still, and know that there is no absolute "right" in steel playing. This is Jeff Newman's basic right-hand starting point, not mine (well, mine now Smile )

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 9:17 pm    

Steve! The bar hand thread from Franklin:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=176202&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 9:41 pm    

In Bruce Bouton's course from Homespun, his teaching of how to use harmonized scales to work your way up and down the fretboard is one thing I recommend to those starting out on steel. It gets you out of just thinking in block chord positions.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 10:59 pm    

Heh, Rick, thanks, a bunch! Looks good. Paul Franklin, thank you of too course. stevet

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2010 6:02 am    

Yeah, I have Bruce B's tape as well. I had the ah-ha moment with the F-lever (e-raise) with that tape!! A religious experience to be sure. If I remember correctly, Bruce is a star pupil of Jeff Newman's teaching.

David D, how far into understanding the guitar's levers and pedals are you?

There is an all encompassing chord chart on the Forum...it's tremendous!! I'll go get the link and post it.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2010 6:14 am    

This may be it:

http://www.globalpursuits.ca/images/E9%20Fret_chord%20chart%2011X17.pdf