The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Pardon Me While I Vent, But.....
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 9:59 pm    

Caught some of the Tribute to George Strait last nite and Paul was playing his ever loving (you know what) off and cranking out vintage steel to the max! But, the only musician they kept showing was the fiddle player!! Or, perhaps a pan to the audience, anywhere but the steel player. Man, that frosts my @#*&!! Mad Mad Mad

Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2010 6:53 am    

Oh Well oh no ! Oh Well ........me thinks my attitude be rubbing off on my buddy ! Whoa!

couldn't say it better ! Muttering (that's fit for print) Laughing

think "camera man school-101" should include musical instrument identification.....then again maybe it's the engineer in the booth or producer or...................................... Razz
Peavey Guitars

Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2010 10:00 am    

Oh -What do you call that thing he is playing? Laughing

Camera man- take a shot of the fiddle player, everyone knows what that is. Razz Laughing

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2010 6:50 pm    

I wonder if they bid that video production out and award to the lowest bidder.

The folks at the Grand Ole Opry seem to have the best handle on it.

Austin City Limits is usually quite well directed, but even they, once in a while, go clueless.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2010 7:31 pm    

It's not just the steel guitar they do that to. How many times have you seen them zoom in on the bass player when the lead guitarist comes in ?

To my mind, anyone behind the camera at a musical concert should have some musical training. There's no excuse for not knowing who is playing what.

Marvin Born

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2010 7:42 pm    

While the camera operator may see a occasional good shot and can get it, normally the director calls the shots he wants or the camera crew knows what the director wants by having worked the him/her before. They automatically provide those type of shots based on the script. Also remember the director has limited vision of the whole scene as he only sees what the cameras see and sees all 5 or 6 cameras at the same time.

The director is basically editing the show on the fly and is responsible for what the audience sees. However the producer determines the over all content and flow of the show.

What I am saying is the camera operator has little if any say in what actually goes on the air. If you want to influence what is shown on TV, the producer is the person to educate. They normally do what works for them or what they have been told to do.

Marvin

David Morris

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2010 7:56 pm    

Hey guys don't blame the camera operators, for the most part they get the shots that the director calls for. I have directed the local TV news cast and some other shows, and the ops got the shots that I wanted. No steel players on the news crew (except for me) but one of the sports guys was a pretty good guitar player. Shows like the Marty Stuart show work out the shots, called blocking, before the actually shoot. It gripes me also to see poor directing. Either they know nothing about the music and the players/instruments or they just don't care. my two cents worth.
Lima Ohio
PS: I'm not really a doctor, I just play one on the radio!!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2010 10:19 am    

Closed.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=184510