The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Atlantic Steel Guitar Club-Nova Scotia
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2010 4:50 pm    

In the last week of September I had the pleasure of being invited by the Atlantic Steel Guitar Club in Halifax to play at both a concert and their monthly club jam. It was a super fun time meeting and playing with some folks I have known for a long time and others whom I met for the first time. The first picture below is the concert in Stewiacke. it was supposed to be in the church hall but the town decided to have a "town yard sale" the next day and the hall was commandeere by the town to be filled with goodies for the yard sale. Hence, we played in the church itself. Great acoustics. In this picture there are no vocalists shown, but the concert was a program of vocals and instrumentals.

The following three pics are from the club's September jam in Acadia Hall in Lower Sackville.

George

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2010 7:09 pm    

That's what it's all about!

Thanks for all your efforts in
promoting steel guitar.

You and Carl are GREAT crusaders.

Send me some pics of our jam. Smile

Roy

George Rout

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2010 7:31 pm    

Yes Roy, it was a great time and included the several hours of jamming at your home with Carl Dalrymple. I'll be sending the pics taken at your house in a few moments.

When I left Halifax, I was home for only one day and took the train to Montreal the following day for a military anniversary and visiting friends including a steel guitarist with whom I had communicated only by email, and it was great to meet Pete Young. After a week in Montreal, I returned home for two days (played steel those two nights) and the following day my wife and I drove to Owen Sound for just about a week including the CAnadian Thanksgiving weekend. I am only now beginning to get caught up on sending pics to all.

Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"

George Rout

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2010 4:06 pm    

In addition to the concert and Atlantic Steel Guitar Club jam mentioned above, I had a wonderful time at Roy Thomson's home doing some picking with Roy and Carl Dalrymple, first picture below. I alaways make a point of visiting Roy when I go to Nova Scotia.

. Roy, you're a great host

Carl and I also did some pickin' & grinnin' at Carl's house. I always enjoy playing his Ricky and other fine steels, second picture below.

George

J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2010 5:36 pm    

Looks like fun! Wish we had something like that out here in big sky country.

George Rout

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2010 5:54 pm    

Hey Jack, maybe you folks haven't switched over from steam to electricity yet.

By the way, how come you have a fish (looks like a fish named Jack) icon, when the ocean stops at Nova Scotia and BC? I thought you'd have a wheat stem or a bucket of potash instead!!!!!!

Geo

J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2010 8:03 pm    

George Rout wrote:
I thought you'd have a wheat stem or a bucket of potash instead!!!!!!

Geo

Laughing LOL!! Potash! Well that's more Saskatchewan.

The fish is a Jackfish - also known as a Northern Pike - a prolific freshwater sportfish in these parts. It's my personal little logo.

I am currently working a gov't contract out here and I honestly wonder myself sometimes how many years behind this province seems!

Sure wish there were more steelers out here tho. Would be an honour to play along with a crowd like you all.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2010 9:09 pm    

Here in Edmonton, this city is a music mecca with more than plenty of music stores, a great university which turns out some of the finest of jazz musicians, and also churning out some awesome guitarists. However, as per most everywhere else, there is very little interest in Hawaiian music. I'd love to get into a similar jam session as experienced by George Rout and have fun with other steel guitarists. Oh well, I do put together jam sessions with myself on steel and some wonderful guitar buddies.

In the pic which George sent, you may not have noticed a
fine steel player by the name of Keith Delong....look closely and you'll notice he plays a left handed pedal guitar. He also plays great (left handed) regular guitar.

George Rout

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2010 3:17 am    

Hi Jack. I was just teasing you about the fish and potash. It was just that Saskatchewan has been in the news recently about potash. And, while I"m not a fisherman (since I left NS), I'm familiar with the pike. Maybe the next best thing to playing with someone is getting BIAB or similar at least you're not playing the steel solo. I've had Band In The Box since about 2002 (and updated since), I call it my "house band". I pick up the steel, turn on the amp, select a tune from the thousands available (particularly on the Yahoo groups) and voila, I'm playing with a "group". It doexn't replace people, it just allows me to practice some tunes or play with accompanient.

Most folks here are "country music" oriented. While they really like the Hawaiian style, it's almost impossible to find somebody who will play the correct chords and progressions.

And to George Lake, yes George it was a super nice pleasure to meet Keith after all these years where our paths didn't quite cross. The ASG club has to be given credit for it's comradory (spelling?).

Geo

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2010 4:11 am    

Was my snowbird friend Doug Richards there?

J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2010 5:57 am    

George Rout wrote:
Maybe the next best thing to playing with someone is getting BIAB or similar at least you're not playing the steel solo. I've had Band In The Box since about 2002 (and updated since), I call it my "house band". I pick up the steel, turn on the amp, select a tune from the thousands available (particularly on the Yahoo groups) and voila, I'm playing with a "group".

Thanks G! I will look into this asap!
Cheers,
J

George Rout

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2010 11:00 am    

Hello Jack Stoner, sorry for the delay in responding but I had everybody in the steel guitar club looking for a Doug Richards, but he seems to be an unknown. Can you tell me in which municipality he lives please???

Geo

J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2010 11:14 am    

Hi George. Do you happen to know what brand of Dobro your friend (Carl is playing in the picture above? Is it a Wolfe?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2010 12:23 pm    

Geo,

He is in Hubbards and has a home along the water. He used to play an Emmons but mostly just sings now.

He winters here in Florida.

George Rout

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2010 12:42 pm    

Hi Jack, mystery solved and accidentally. I had a call from Carl Dalrymple, a well known musician and who played recently with Doug at the Five Mile River jam (I may have the name wrong). I asked him if by chance he knew Doug, and he said that he played with him a week ago at the jam. He said, they left either yesterday or were leaving today to go back to Florida.

So, mystery solved. He doesn't belong to the steel guitar club.

Geo

George Rout

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2010 12:46 pm    

Hi Jack (I assume it's Jack) Wilson, I didn't see your message at first as one came from Jack Stoner the same time.

You are correct, Carls resophonic is a Wolfe.

Sounds beautiful.

Geo

J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2010 12:59 pm    

Thanks George!

Jack or John (birth name) both work fine for me. I go by either.

A Wolfe! Wow. You can't even get those anymore. You think he will ever sell it?

That's a might nice Bakelite you have I have to add. I have a '41 myself. Best lap steel ever I'd say!

George Rout

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2010 1:41 pm    

Ah yes. It's a nice Ricky that I'm PLAYING, but it also belongs to Carl. I should have put some effort on getting one over the years. I love the Ricky sound, but at this point in life (73), 1939 Gibon 7 string, Gibson Console Grande, National D-8, 3 Supros, 2 Airlines, Fender Champ and a Mason 6 will have to suffice for the time being.

When I play Carl's, I'm on the verge of the ultimate urge to get one, but it passes off when I get back home.

My Ricky is a rickety Ricky. See pic below. This was my first electric guitar. I moved up to this from a Stella acoustic!!!!

Geo

J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2010 2:38 pm    

Thats a helluva list George! Very impressive! Which one is your favorite? I bet the Gibson 7 string is high on the list huh?

George with a collection like that you ought to take a "family picture" and post it on the forum!

Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 1:52 pm     Steel Guitar Jubilee

Hey Roy,

Carl here in St. Stephen N. B. ,when do you hope to have another steel guitar get together? I am still a beginner but would like to join in if possible.

Hope you are well.

At present I am working hard on steel guitar jubilee on C6 in key of Bb.

Keep steelin. Smile Smile Smile
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

George Rout

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 5:36 pm    

I'm still alive and picking folks.
A touch of dementia is creeping in. I'm 85. Three of us were back in the saddle playing at
LTC homes for about a month when they packed it in because of the Covid. That was just before Xmas. We were scheduled to play for a Xmas show when they shut if down again.
[img]https://bb.steelguitarforum.com
/userpix2020-03/3302_IMG_0237_1.jpg[/img]

Geo

Geo

Michael Diabo

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 7:42 am    

I am in NS (Dartmouth), and would love to take part if and when the club starts up again.

Thanks,
Mike