The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Interesting old changer
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2010 5:24 am    

I know that this guitar has been owned by at least one other forum member in days gone by, but I just got it and thought I'd share an interesting detail. It was built by Jon Frye for Eddie Bush in the early sixties. It apparently started life as a console and had pedals/knees added later. It also looks like it might have been an eight string originally, although it is now ten. The bridge end changer is a pretty typical pull-release type. But it's the peghead system that is intriguing. It's very much like the new Jackson Shot Jackson Commemorative mechanism except you tune it under the guitar instead of on top. The tuners are mounted to plates that swivel--the bottom two pictures show this swiveling action. The first and tenth strings don't have the mechanism but all of the other strings do. You can either raise or lower at the peghead, but not both on the same string. I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Dave

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2010 7:29 am    

Hey Dave, how 'bout some pix of the whole guitar and some of the underside and also the pedals & pedalboard..........JH in Va.

David Ball

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2010 7:46 am    

These aren't great pictures, but they're what I have on file. I can take more later when I'm near a camera...

There's evidence underneath that it originally had six pedals. The knee levers were later additions from what I understand.

It's a big sucker--42 inches long. Heavy too--nearly 100 pounds in the case.

David Ball

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2010 7:57 am    

One thing I can say about the keyhead changer--if there is any backlash in the tuners at all, it doesn't work well. Won't hold tune, won't return to pitch. Even messes with the bridge end changer tuning. With tight tuners though, it can be set up quite precisely. I'm going to have to replace these tuners, since they are pretty worn, but a little bit of experimentation has shown that tight tuners and a bit of adjustment seem to be all it will take to get this guitar playing pretty well. The tuners are causing most all of the issues it has.

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2010 9:21 am    

Nice guitar Dave. Check the specs on these tuners. They will probably work good and cost less than $80 to do the whole guitar.

http://tinyurl.com/22nrvkw

David Ball

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2010 9:35 am    

Looks like those could be the ticket--thanks Danny! I'll check the measurements and make sure they're the same as the old ones.