The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  For sale or trade Mullen D-10 for Emmons SKH
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2010 7:19 pm    

I have a '95 "Pre-Royal" Mullen D-10 8&5 rosewood mica in "excellent condition" that I purchased from the original owner. I may sell it, but I'm looking to trade for an Emmons SKH. May consider others, but prefer an SKH. $2500

Email me with what you have. I have no problem keeping the Mullen as it's one of the best guitars I've ever had. Plays and sounds like only a Mullen can!
Thanks,
Dave

[img]

Last edited by David Higginbotham on 24 Oct 2010 8:44 pm; edited 4 times in total

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 3:00 am     Mullen

David , you just got that Mullen didnt you? heck man you havent even had a chance to get to know her yet Razz . i will say this IMHO you wont find anymore tone in a SKH Emmons than what is in that Mullen. are you sure you wanna go back over there Laughing !
just a thought
Boo Miller
2022 65 Emmons Resound P/P D10

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 7:43 am    

Long live Emmons!!!Very Happy

L. M. English

Augusta, GA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 11:13 am     Re; Mullen

Hi David, Sent you a PM

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 11:25 am    

Boo, you are probably totally correct! I really like the Mullen and when all is said and done it may be staying here. I'm just having a bit of trouble getting used to the string spacing I think. It is definitely one of the best playing guitars I've had and has TONE! TONE! TONE!

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 2:37 pm    

Getting used to the string spaceing will just come with A$$ (seat) time . that is a dandy of a guitar you have there . i wish you would give it a bit more time . in 20 yrs these guitars will be the sought after ones as if thy arent now Smile and those Emmons will be the perms of our time. not that the perms dont have tone to the bone, im just sayin' send that thing over to Mickey Adams and let him tweek it for ya and you will throw that SKH in the dumpster Wink ya know i bet he could figure a way of winding the string over the changer so that is has a bit more closeness or distance for what you are looking for as for spacing you know i dont think its a must to break over the changer absolutely dead center. just a thought you could gain or lose ten thousands either way. it might just trick your mind for a spell Smile
Boo

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 7:49 pm    

David.....I just got a Mullen from Danny C and I'm in love.....the string spacing is a little different, but I found that after a couple of gigs, it wasn't a problem at all.....keep her......HAL
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.

Ben Turner

Myrtle Beach, SC, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 8:49 pm    

SKH's are hard to beat. I regret getting rid of mine. Those Mullen's sure do play like a dream but I've yet to play one that sounded as good as my SKH. Very Happy

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2010 5:13 am     Mullen

Ben, you just havent played the right one! Wink
i got one that would make you throw rocks at that SKH Whoa! . Just funnin . everyoes taste is different but i will say for my taste the Mullen guitar is as good as it gets , Tone ,Looks ,playability, and SERVICE the folks at Mullen cant be beat.
Boo Miller

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2010 3:32 pm    

After playing on a Sho-Bud for 18 years I switched to an Emmons. The two hardest things I had to deal with were the fact it was Push-Pull and the string spacing. But after the more I played it, the more I got used to it.
Tommy Shown
SMFTBL

Al Vesel

Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2010 1:39 am     Mullen for SKH Emmons

Ben,
You're right on the SKH. They are truly amazing and best pedal steel I've ever owned. And David, you must agree.

Al
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2010 9:50 am    

Guys, I really appreciate the advice and positive comments. Boo, I sought this particular year model Mullen on your advice after hearing you play your Mullen. Al and Ben, you are both correct in that I find myself comparing every guitar I play to my SKH I sold last year.

Let me say that the Mullen is an excellent guitar and plays very smoothly. The forum member from which I bought the Mullen took excellent care of the guitar and is one of the nicest members I've had the pleasure of dealing with.

It's a very tough choice to make as many of us are always looking for that "optimum" tone and ease of playing combination. I think for most of us it's a never ending search. I always seem to be comparing every guitar I play to the comfort of my early model GFI and the tone of an Emmons. Which is most important to me? Don't have that answer yet!

But I've made many friends here on the forum over the years and have learned so much from so many here. I've also found the most generous and caring people of any group here as well.

Such is the case now. One of the forum members has so "graciously" offered a trade that fits what I was searching for. Just to be sure that this is what I want to do, this member offered to send me his guitar and try it out. An opportunity to do a side by side comparison and spend time with both guitars. He said if I decide to trade just send him the Mullen and if I don't, just send him his guitar back. How awesome is that?

Just goes to show what type of friends we have here. For now, I will accept this offer and try both side by side and make a final decision. Certainly if I were to send the gentleman his guitar back I will reimburse his shipping and time. But everyone must admit, it's a generous offer!
My best regards,
Dave

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2010 10:00 am    

Dave,
You are very fortunate to find a deal like that.
It sounds like a win/win situation. Very Happy

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2010 3:03 pm    

That sure does look like guitar that I owned for about 9 years....you say the guy you got it from was the original owner?
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2010 5:02 pm    

Erv, I think so as well!

Mickey, I have no reason to doubt the word of the seller. He was very specific and has a great deal of integrity. The guitar has been well kept!
Thanks,
Dave

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2010 8:36 pm    

Well the choice has been made and the Emmons wins! The Mullen is a fine instrument that plays as smooth as you can ask and has excellent tone. But I feel more comfortable with the Emmons. It produces the tone that I want to hear and just fits my playing style and grip better. Does it play smoother than the Mullen? No. Does it work better with my style and encourage me to play more? Yes.

I'm not certain if the member who made the more than generous offer to send me his SKH and try it side by side wants to be mentioned, and I apologize if he doesn't, but L.M. English is the member that extended this offer. He is a fine gentleman to say the least and has a mint Pre-RP Mullen on the way. Thanks to all that cared enough to respond and lend their advice and guidance.
Dave

Chris Sims

Middleburg,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2010 8:59 pm    

Well I am still new, only playin' 3 years, but is it possible you could have maybe tried a couple different pick-ups or had the stock pick-ups rewound to a resistance more closer to the tone you are looking for.
I want to say I have a good ear, the difference between push-pull and all-pull is noticeable, but I have heard 3 or more Emmons all-pull guitars and they sound about the same sweet tone I hear on most top quality Guitars.
My Mullen is the best as far as I'm concerned, it might only be better with a different pick-up possibly or amp choosing.
I hear that awesome tone come right out of it the same tone I hear on other Great guitars like Emmons when I use the right effects and or amps.
What I am trying to say is I believe that Mullen to be neck in neck with Emmons, except the pick-ups to each have their own tone.
Can anybody chime in here that have changed the p-ups around.

Fred Thompson

Zephyrhills, FL
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2010 10:19 am    

I was checking out the 'for sales' looking for a Zum SD-10 for $500 Oh Well and saw the photo and your name, Dave. You know what you want to hear and play and I understand, as I've been down that same road myself.
I have an Emmons SD-10 and love the sound, but IMHO it isn't built as well as the Mullen nor plays as smooth, but it is easier to carry, in split cases! Aren't we all searching for that Hughey, Big E, Brumley, Green sound? Confused
Mickey; I bought that guitar direct from Del in 1995 as we didn't have a Mullen dealer in my area.(Maine)
Fred

Bill Joerger

Sunset Beach, NC USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2010 12:09 pm     SKH vs. Mullen, etc., etc.

Dave,
I hear your pain. You're not alone. I've had my Emmons D-10 PP for thirty years. I hate everything about it's mechanics. It is noisy, slack sloppy, tune testy and hard on my knees. At the same time, I love everything about the playable ease of today's all-pull makers and would love to make the change. But every time I put any of them side by side with my old Emmons, I immediately hear the difference with my Emmons gutsy, throaty and driving broad sound. The new one's then go back in their case and out the door. This is almost as bad as paying alimony. Maybe it's just all in the mind, but that Emmons sound does have a way of spoiling you. But sad to say, I'm still looking. Now, what about these all-pull Emmons SKH's? Have I been missing something here?
Your elaborations please.-