Andrew

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2010 10:21 am    

Cool pix! Keep 'em coming!

Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2010 12:06 pm     Sho-Bud

Frank Parish mentioned the Hitching Post next to Tootsie's. In the early sixties that club was a key club and called the Wagon Wheel. I played there with Larry Kirby and Ira Louvin's wife, Ann Young who died in the car crash with Ira.
Andrew mentioned City View....I last saw City View in a diner in Atlanta. He told me he had just sold his catalogue of song's to Marty Robbins. He was weird but he could write. Some say he wrote El Paso.
Jack Harper mentioned Broadway Mae. I believe that Mike Jones played steel on that recording.
Does anyone remember Sucking Sue? How about Muscles and Junior, a couple of Broadway newspaper boys.
Dave Burley

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2010 1:09 pm    

Good Lord Dave! I can't believe you know these people! Pretty funny.
Cowboy JR. was actually named Lee Ferrell, a demented song writer, as you must have known. A funny guy.

Bobbe

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2010 1:19 pm    

...one of the best threads ever! Very Happy
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!

David Griffin

Jimmy Creek,Arkansas via Cowtown, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2010 1:45 pm    

Was Linebaughs' that close to the ShoBud store? It looks like an "L" just to the left of the guitar on the SB sign. Looks like "fried" right above it. For some reason I thought Linebaughs' was on the other side of Broadway. Anyone remember? Funny what 27 years does to your memory! Wink Oh,yeah,I remember Linebaughs' chili as being pretty good,or maybe I just got lucky the few times I ate there! Mr. Green

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2010 1:53 pm    

City View was coherent? And a songwriter?

I'm flabbergasted.

What was his real name?

Okay, Dave & Bobbe. Enlighten me about Sucking Sue, Cowboy Jr. and Muscles.

I used to look out the second-floor window of Sho-Bud and see the goings-on on Lower Broad. I'd be sanding a Frypan coverplate and look across the street at a couple of VERY big-boned ladies with hairdos like black haystacks standing on the corner trying to make a living from loving.

At that time, the peep shows were plentiful and popular around Sho-Bud. Every morning, I'd see the same blonde-haired disabled guy limp and shuffle into the peep show next door to Sho-Bud. He'd come back there several times a day. Sometimes we went over there to get change for the cash register. They always had lots for us. Nice folks.

Andrew Roblin
International Sho-Bud Brotherhood
Member #79

The International Sho-Bud Brotherhood is now accepting new members.
Requirements: A strong desire to be a member of the International Sho-Bud Brotherhood. Or Sisterhood.
Dues: Once a year, write yourself a check in the amount of your choosing for your own purposes, preferably somehow related to steel guitar.
Member number: Pick a number you can remember. Duplicate numbers are okay.
Origin: Harry Jackson's beautiful practice of calling everybody "Brother."
Motto: Respect for music, instruments and people.

Long live the International Sho-Bud Brotherhood!
Long live Sho-Bud!

Andrew Brown

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2010 4:33 pm    

Jay, that picture is too important to leave in the state that it's currently in. I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of working on it in Photoshop to try to get it back to it's original glory...

Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2010 4:34 pm     Sho-Bud

The fried sign is actually Friedman's, a loan shop that my intruments were usually in. It was just one door east of Tootsie's Orchid Lounge. Linebaughs was located just west of the Merchants Hotel which is now part of the Merchants, used as a pickup and drop off for Merchants. They should have left Linebaughs there. Linebaughs was the pickup place for most of the bands heading out on the road after the Opry was over on Sat. night. I was sitting in Linebaughs about 4 a.m. one Sunday morning, having coffee with Daryl McCall. Daryl asked me if I could drum. I told him I could. He asked me if I would like to go out for a few days on some dates. I said yes and asked him who with. He told me Ray Price and I quickly took back the offer to go. I wouldn't have lasted a whole set with Ray but I can say that I was offered the job. A little feather in my hat. (G)......Muscles was a dwarf and was not illiterate. Junior was very big, maybe six three or four and as Bobbe inferred, he only had about one oar in the water. Broadway Mae was an alcoholic as I remember and Sucking Sue, well, you can imagine how she got her name.........Back to the Fried sign....In that picture you will see a sign advertising Sterling beer. That is Tootsie's place.
Boy do I ever have a load of stories concerning Tootsie's in the early sixties. Mel, Roger Miller, Willie, Justin Tubb, Jones and the list goes on.
Dave Burley

Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2010 5:10 pm     Sho-Bud

One more quick note. The picture looks as if it might be from the early seventies. The picture taker must have been almost directly across E. Broadway from Ernest Tubb record shop. The Friedman Loan sign is about five doors from Broadway and 5th with the Ryman Auditorium being to the right up the hill a half a block. The Hymans loan shop was on the corner where the Legend is now located. Kitty cornered across the road from the Legends was an old gas station that we used to jam in on Sundays. The
Gaylord Sports arena is now located there.
Daryl McCall and Johnny Paycheck both moved to Nashville in 1958. I was about five years later. I spent a of time at Shot's place. I'm also half remembering that Roy Acuff's museum was located maybe next to Sho-Bud, east.
Dave Burley

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2010 2:31 am    

The Wagon Wheel, in the early 70's was on the same side of the street as Little Roy's and the ET Record Shop. While I was there, the band, one night, got busted for smoking pot on stage.

There was an X Rated theater on that block (may have been next door to the Wagon Wheel - I don't remember). Anyway there was a Bank Robbery down the street one day and the police thought the robber had run north on Broadway and may have went into the X Rated Theater. The police stormed the theater and turned on all the lights. I heard there was a lot of embarassed people in the theater, but the robber was not there. Keep in mind this was 71 or 72 and people were not as "liberal" as they are today.

Jay Hudson

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2010 7:32 am    

Andrew Brown wrote:
Jay, that picture is too important to leave in the state that it's currently in. I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of working on it in Photoshop to try to get it back to it's original glory...

No problem.
I think it was 75 or 76.
Can you restore my current body to it's original glory too?

Laughing

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2010 8:13 am    

Here's an even better fixed copy using Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10.

Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2010 8:29 am     Sho-Bud

Shot Jackson was a great person as was his partner, Delores Smiley. I spent many hours on the road with Delores and she was a lot of fun to be around. Sho-Bud was a great hang-out place back in the day. When Roy Acuff had his museum almost next door to Sho-Bud, you could never tell what would happen during the week. Roy liked to have a little 'moon' around and would have many country music visitors during mid-week. Many times I would stand in front of Tootsie's and look down Broadway to see Roy Acuff or Shot standing in front of their business's. Back in the day George Jones also had his Possum Holler club upstairs above either Acuff's or one of the furniture stores almost next door to Acuff's Later Jones moved his Possom Holler up to the end of Printers Alley which claimed to be the most popular entertainment area in Tennessee. I'll tell ya, memories are great even though you have to get old to have many good ones.
Dave A. Burley

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2010 8:30 am    

I bought my first steel guitar at the Sho~Bud store in 1972 and was back in the same building playing gigs 20-some years later when it was Robert's.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2010 8:39 am    

"Ask Those Who Know" - nice work on the picture, Jack.

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2010 10:32 am     Question and a comment.

Does any one know if the bldg on the left up the hill was the P.O?
This was around 1964 and i was siting in Tootsies (no use to name names)with a major artists bass player and tootsie had cut him off on beer. I slipped him one and got caught. Tootsie threw both of us out and bet she could be herd yelling a mile away. Ten minutes later we both went back in and she acted like nothing had happened. What a woman.
Yes i miss those days. Tracy
BTW. When some one wanted to hire a steel player they were not asked if they could play but what kind of steel they played. It had better be a Sho Bud. Smile Tracy

Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2010 1:54 pm    

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2010 2:17 pm    

What is this today, Photo Editing 101? Winking
Thanks to Ernie's Egg Mart for the extra photo.

Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2010 2:52 pm     Sho Bud store today

As mentioned previously the old Sho~Bud store is now Roberts Western Wear, which has some of the best traditional country music anywhere (Ike Johnson, Don Kelley, The Brazilbilly's to name a few). There are still a few pieces of Sho~Bud memorabilia in the store if you look around, a few years ago there was a little memorial type thing to Sho~Bud and Shot Jackson but I didn't seen it the last time I was there. I have been told there is still some machinery on the top floor left over from the Sho~Bud shop that has never been removed.

Almost every time I have been there the musicians mention it used to be the place they made Sho~Bud's.

Last edited by Darrell Criswell on 14 Sep 2010 6:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Andrew Brown

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2010 5:16 pm    

Wow, great work Jack.

Jack Stoner wrote:
Here's an even better fixed copy using Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2010 5:17 pm    

Anyone else ever notice that there's a scene in "W.W. And The Dixie Dancekings" that was shot in the store?

Been there a few times, myself. Sure was a cool place.
The first time I was there in '72, Jerry Brightman was there, upstairs with Duane Marrs, and Jerry was trying out a new Professional.

A few times I was able to rummage around the parts bins on the top floor and grab a few things for my 6139.

Last time I was there was in '81, and I thought long and hard about buying a very cool orange laq single 12 that was on the display floor. A unique guitar - it had fluted endplates, like a Super Pro II.

If you were from out of town, the Sho-Bud store was one of those places that you would make a pilgrimage to...sort of like Bobbe's store is nowadays.

btw... Is Ernie's Egg Mart anywhere near Burford's Barber Shop?

Last edited by Skip Edwards on 14 Sep 2010 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

Andrew Brown

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2010 5:17 pm    

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cal Sharp wrote:
What is this today, Photo Editing 101? Winking
Thanks to Ernie's Egg Mart for the extra photo.

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2010 5:58 pm    

Jack - great job! How'd did you DO that?!?!?