Reply to topic
Author Topic:  For all you guitarist who want to learn how to play steel
Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2010 12:00 pm    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uQiJVAj3f8

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2010 5:15 pm     He says you can play most of the usual licks in ONE WEEK..

Very interesting approach to selling lessons.
Quote:
So, check out the video to see the kind of stuff you will be learning. I make this easier than any other teacher out there. How???? Because I love to teach and I don't suck at it. LOL

All lessons taught by Scott Grove
IT'S A FIRST FOR INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS,
YOU WILL ACTUALLY LEARN!

If you play basic chords and know how to simply play along with songs on the guitar, then you already have all the skills needed to be a pro pedal steel player.

I don't think that his wording or advert/video would get past the Trading Standards Authority here in the UK, his claims as well as being unsubstantiated are very exaggerated and misleading. IMHO.

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 12:37 am    

they walk among us ! ??
i found this guy quite amuzing Whoa!
Hawkin' is a trade as old as...

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 12:51 am    

It took Me a week to get My guitar out of the case. Smile
It will be interesting to hear from any players who have actually purchased the course and are now (one week later)playing "pro"
Billy

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 1:40 am    

After reading back and thinking about it:
This guy is enthousiastic about what he does, wether it's 'our' approach or not. When he manages to get other same-thinking youngsters to steelguitar, he did a great job. And who am I to discuss his level and make fun about him? Maybe we should try to get him to the forum. These people we need in the future I guess.
Johan

Last edited by Johan Jansen on 29 Aug 2010 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 9:14 am    

I hope you fellows are taking this in a comical sense....

I thought it was rather Spinal Tappish. Laughing

Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 9:39 am    

Quote:
I thought it was rather Spinal Tappish.

Laughing So did I...or the movie, "Clerks". I thought the Kiss t-shirt was a nice touch. And the video comes with a money back guarantee, "If you think it sucks". He should have added the word, "Dude" a few times for the "Wayne's World" effect.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 9:48 am    

He's not a member of the Forum.

Everything you need to play you can play with three pedals and no knee levers ? Well, since there are plenty of good steel guitarists out there who play with no pedals and no knee levers I guess that's so. Oh Well

Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 5:27 pm    

Well, damn! Where-in-hell-have-I-BEEN?!!!

I'm gonna order anything and everything that this guy has for sale -----and THEN I'm gonna commence to blow Buddy, John, Paul, and a whole bunch of others off the bandstand - By NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!!

Yeah - - - right.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 9:19 pm    

Talk about a win-win situation. I wonder if I can get away with sending in my payment and refund request in the same envelope?

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2010 10:00 pm    

Awesome! I'm diggin' on his
'over-the-scalp' right-hand
technique at 3:20
Might have to send
in for that alone!
~Rw Winking

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2010 2:22 pm    

Crikey .... as Crowbear said .... They CERTAINLY walk among us Laughing Loved his statement as to whether Paul Franklin could teach?? Mad .... and don't forget as he says "Boom, one week and you're done!!!" Laughing Laughing Laughing

Micky Byrne U.K.

www.micky-byrne.co.uk

Last edited by Micky Byrne on 31 Aug 2010 3:24 pm; edited 5 times in total

Kirk Eipper

Arroyo Grande, Ca.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2010 2:44 pm    

Has anyone SEEN said video?
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2010 3:05 pm    

Man_Oh_Man does this guy love himself.

I find one of the biggest hurdles with my students is they can't finger the strings or chord groups.

Next they can't play on pitch among other things.

I can't see how they can learn as he says all this in one week.

Again... He sure loves himself. Razz Whoa! Rolling Eyes

I took a seminar from Paul Franklin in 1988 and YES !!! he can teach, and very well at that.
Don

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2010 1:58 pm     Re: Scott Grove

I like his assesment of the C6th neck, "they are quite complicated..but they are doable" what a Jackwagon

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2010 2:12 pm    

He looks like the kind of guy that puts money in the jukebox and starts selecting songs... While the band's still playing! Laughing

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2010 4:08 pm    

I'm curious as to how good his videos are. Maybe someone should buy one and find out. He doesn't mention how much they cost.

Don Sutley

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2010 5:33 pm    

His website is: http://www.freewebs.com/groovymusiclessons/

The pedal steel DVD goes for $9.95 and a download is $4.00.

His ebay store is : http://stores.ebay.com/Groovy-Music-Lessons

As of right now he has 5702 feedbacks at 100%. He must be doing something right.

-Don

Ron Fitzgerald

Port Charlotte Florida
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2010 10:22 am    

What ever he is smoking he should share with the class.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2010 11:01 am    

Don Sutley wrote:
He must be doing something right.

-Don

Well it most definitely is not respecting his peers in the steel guitar instructional world.
what does he call them ?

Quote:
Videos that will teach you more than any other lessons available will be able to teach you in 10 YEARS. Fire your guitar teacher...they are the biggest waste of time and money out there.

I make this easier than any other teacher out there. How???? Because I love to teach and I don't suck at it.

So, the other teachers are a waste of time and they 'suck' (Whatever suck may mean in the REAL world where professionals communicate using English and not colloquialisms))

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2010 4:34 pm    

Alan Brookes wrote:
I'm curious as to how good his videos are. Maybe someone should buy one and find out. He doesn't mention how much they cost.

At $11.95 including shipping I sent off for one. Let's see what he has to say. Oh Well If I can't play like Buddy Emmons in a couple of weeks I'll let you know. Rolling Eyes

Guido Hausmann

Gütersloh, NRW Germany
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2010 12:19 am    

...i ordered this video just to try out.
for sure no one should run anyone down, but this video is just about 1-4-5 chord noodleing over 2 hours! no serious steel guitar course!
a "normal" teacher would need 2 minutes for that.
but on the other hand he's a nice guy to deal with and this video was ment to get guitar kids(?) into pedal steel and that's a good thing!
and by the way: if someone doesn't like the video he's willing to pay the money back and one could keep the video - that's fair!
Sho~Bud Pro II, Sho~Bud LDG, Fender '79 Vibrosonic 1x15 JBL, Fender '72 Bandmaster Reverb + Custom 2x12 Vintage Alnico Cab, Fender 75 1x15", Randall Steel Man 500, Peavey Session 500, Goodrich L120, Sho~Bud Pedal
www.facebook.com/guido.luckylola

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 8:41 am    

Like Guido, I have now had the opportunity to view the video, and I have to say that I still can't play like Buddy Emmons. Very Happy

By stating that all the other instructional videos are useless because they're recorded by players who can't teach, whereas he has a particular talent for teaching, sets himself a hard target. I thought the video was very amateurish. Far from being a good teacher he comes over as a nervous novice, and his attempts at humor and fooling about are annoying, and do not endear the pupil to his tutor.

The video is long .... very long. 2 hrs. 30 mins. and just keeps repeating itself over and over again.
He uses the I IV V terminology, without explaining it, except saying that he has another video where he explains it.

If the intention of the video is to make things easier for guitarists this doesn't come off. He would have been better showing himself barring an F chord on a regular guitar and then moving the barré up and down the fingerboard to demonstrate what is happening on the steel, but he doesn't do that. Moreover, by continually referring to the strings by their open pitch he just confuses regular guitarists. He goes on about the G# string, whereas he would do better to refer to the 3rd string, since the regular guitarist will have to stop and think which string he's referring to.

He causes confusion right from the outset by trying to explain that the G# string is actually tuned to A, without mentioning that the pitch of a string in natural temperament will vary depending on which key one is playing in.

The entire lesson could be done in 2 minutes, as Guido said, and could be summed up as...

[1] The IV position is five frets up from the I position and you can get it by moving the bar or pressing the first two pedals.

[2] The V position is two frets up from the IV position and you can get it by moving the bar or pressing the first two pedals and moving the bar two frets.

[3] All the positions occur in different places on the fretboard and you need to get used to where they are.

[4] Wiggle the bar down a fret and back again in various combinations to get different licks.

But the best one of all is his observation over and over again that, because he doesn't wear fingerpicks, he can pick four strings at a time instead of the usual three. The fact that he could do the same thing by wearing fingerpicks on the other fingers seems to have eluded him.

I doubt if anyone could be ready for the stage on the pedal steel in two weeks no matter whose videos they watch. Rolling Eyes

Don't bother to buy the video. It's BORING.

Last edited by Alan Brookes on 11 Sep 2010 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 2:45 pm    

Alan, thanks for taking one for the team. I'd ask for my money back on principal alone. I figured he was full of BS. Does he even show how to play minor chords? BTW, If you bought it on Ebay, I am sure he will ask for positive feedback anyway.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2010 12:53 am    

the proof is in the pudding
this guy's makin' $$$$$$
which is undoubtedly his main intention
thanx for the rundown Alan
the shoe fits... Winking