The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  G7 Tuning?
Lloyd Elliott

Berkeley, California
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2010 1:30 pm    

Al Dodge was telling me about a variation on the GDBGDB tuning that he sometimes uses.

Instead of tuning the 6th string to G, the string is replaced with a thinner string and tuned to the F seven steps up. The 5th string is then tuned to the G. So you have FGDGDB

It seems like an unusual tuning in that the 6th string is not the lowest but fits between the 3rd and the 4th.

It does sound useful to have the seventh always available, but also kind of out of the way.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

Lloyd

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2010 5:25 pm    

I've never tried that G7 tuning... but I have tried the dominant 7th note on other 6-string tunings, and I've never had much success with it. It's basically a "one trick pony", in my opinion. It's probably fine if you're playing a lot of blues or songs with 7th chords. But overall I think more is lost than is gained with a 7b string in a 6-string tuning. Just my opinion.

John Bushouse

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2010 8:09 pm    

That's based on his 7-string set up, right? a high f, then DGDGBD low to high (low G tuning). My old 7-string National from 1937-ish came strung up that way, and the nut (original) was cut for the high f on the 7th string.

Based on some old 7-string instructional material someone on the forum has posted in the past, having the re-entrant 7th string was popular.

Lloyd Elliott

Berkeley, California
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2010 6:35 am    

John.

I think you are right. I was thinking 6 strings, but now that you mention it 7 sounds right.

When you say the nut was cut for the F, you mean it had a narrower slot than you would need for a bass string?

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2010 9:59 am    

How about having the first string be an E? You could pull it behind the bar up to F. It could be either octave, I guess,,,,, 7-string guitar would be ideal for it. Maybe need to drag out my Grande Console D-7 and try it.

John Bushouse

Post  Posted 27 Aug 2010 9:17 pm    

Lloyd Elliott wrote:
John.

I think you are right. I was thinking 6 strings, but now that you mention it 7 sounds right.

When you say the nut was cut for the F, you mean it had a narrower slot than you would need for a bass string?

Yes.

Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 10:59 am     Re: G7 Tuning?

Lloyd Elliott wrote:
It seems like an unusual tuning in that the 6th string is not the lowest but fits between the 3rd and the 4th.

Although counter-intuitive it is more common than you might think. I believe that Freddie Roulette does something like, one of the reasons being it can make some of the slant positions a lot easier to play (splitting, say, 2" across 4 or 5 strings than just 2).

Quote:
It does sound useful to have the seventh always available, but also kind of out of the way.

I have been using a special open E tuning where the top 5 strings are straight forward, but the bottom string is the "wild card", which I usually tune to the C# a whole step above the lower B. But I can raise it to D for an E7th chord instead of an E6th chord. With a smaller gauge string I could go up to the F# for an Eadd9 chord. (or double up the low E similar to Freddie Roulette's tuning).

I have found that having the 6th on the bottom is much more versatile than the 7th. As Doug said the 7th is kind of a one trick pony; it works great in "Mustang Sally!" Having the 6th on the bottom gives me minor chords, and many of the harmonies that you find on a C6 type of tuning on a 6 string. I love it because I can do all of the open E blues riffs on the top 5 strings and then switch over to some jazzy comping with the 6th on the bottom.

Steve Ahola

P.S. I just googled Freddie Roulette's tuning and found that it is basically what Al spelled out, only tuned up a whole step to A and with the low A doubled up.

According to Andy Volk, Freddie Roulette uses the following tuning from low string to high:
G A A C# E A C# E

(string gauges .034, .052, .052, .038, .034, .020, .016, .012)

Andy says:

So it's your basic plain vanilla "A" tuning with the unusual unison "A" strings and a high "G" on the bottom making it an A7th tuning.

(I love it when people post *gauges* because that can contribute so much to the sound of a particular tuning.)

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits