The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jeff Newman [Some one to give my love to]
Wayne D. Clark

Montello Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2010 6:16 pm    

I think I put this under the right subject!

I bet I have watched Jeff Newman play [Some one to give my love to] on [U Tube] 50 times and am not sure what he is doing but I think he is stretching the strings below the Nut or is he doing a banjo peg adjustment. Does any one have the Tab on this number? Also I do not notice his moving the bar so where is he producing the tremalow [not sure of the spelling] in the first part of the piece? It is not only enjoyable to listen to but fascinating to watch him play.

Wayne D. Clark
Desert Rose s10 3/5
Goodrich Pedal
Peavey 110

Colin Goss

St.Brelade, Island of Jersey, Channel Islands, UK
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2010 10:39 pm     Someone to give my love to

I have this somewhere and I can recall trying it on earlier guitars (can't do it with an Anapeg - keyless!)

On the seventh string he is pushing the string down behind the head with his left hand to raise the tone. I seem to recall that it was very hard on the fingers.

Colin Goss

Henry Brooks

Los Gatos, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2010 9:52 am    

It's on Jeff Newman and a few good friends E9th course. This was originally a phonograph record and includes playing example(side one of the record), rhythm track( side two) & tab. I think it's still available on CD from Fran. There several really good instrumentals on this course.
Henry

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2010 10:32 am    

Not sure, but I don't believe Jeff used the string push on the records.

Henry Brooks

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2010 10:59 am    

As a PS I think Bent is correct. If my memory is correct the song was originally released as course on a 45 RPM sized 33 1/3 RPM phonograph record. On that course Jeff used a capo which he placed under the strings at the fifth fret. So the song was played in A instead of E as it's on the few friends course. I think he changed to the key E because not many guys have a capo.
Henry

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2010 12:29 pm    

I've got the old vinyl "Few Good Friends" plus tab. It's in the key of E, and Jeff uses his finger on the 7th string behind the keyhead to do the raise.

There's a YouTube video of him playing this in E and doing the finger push. Wayne this is probably the same video I've enjoyed.

Henry I don't have the 45 RPM sized 33 1/3.

On my guitars I found the finger push to be pretty hard, but Jeff does it with a smile.

Henry Brooks

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2010 3:34 pm    

Bob:
That's the course I have too. The course on a small record was just "Some one to give my love to". Jeff played all of instrumental from "A Few Good Friends" on the first seminar I ever attended back on April 25,1976. It was held in concord, Ca. and sponsored by Tom Bradshaw. Before that seminar I was really struggling. Jeff made very easy to understand how the E9th tuning worked.
Henry

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2010 6:14 am    

Thanks Henry, that's interesting.

Also, I realized Jeff played 6 string too. He probably had callouses and stronger left hand fingers than some of us.

Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2010 2:50 pm    

Another thing he did was to wrap his first and second fingers of his left hand around the first string and pulled both strings one and two up to the pitch of strings 3 & 4 (no pedals).....he used to say you can do this and pull hard, as the strings won't come off!...... The finger pull sounds quite nice, though.

Paul E. Brennan

Dublin, Ireland
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2010 5:31 am    

I worked this out once and yes, he's pushing down on string 7 to raise it to G#. I love it. I think it's originally a Lloyd Green trick as is pulling strings with the bar hand fingers.

Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2010 1:24 pm     Jeff N Concert seminar

Jeff was not only a great perfomrer He also was a great teacher. he came to Indpls in the 80's to a Arthurs Music,He had that Capo and played friend don't take her She's all I got, he played on both sides of the capo,He was amazing, and anyone who ever saw him perform has to remember that little SE Grin He used to get sort of like he knew how good he was Smile...no one who ever sat down at a Pedal Steel guitar knew anymore about it than jeff,he was even most of the Pro's favorite,one of the nicest men i ever met...I was very sad,Charlie Louvin told me a famous Steel player got killed when iwas at his home,later the next day I saw Tommy White at the theatre next to Ernest Tubbs and where the old Louvin museum was at,Tommy White told me it was Jeff and i was very sad about I miss Jeff...

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 27 Aug 2010 4:45 pm    

This is a bit similar -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUpeQytOCLE

Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2024 8:42 am    

Brian Henry wrote:
This is a bit similar -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUpeQytOCLE

Would be nice if someone posted the video again.

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 9:06 pm     Jeff Newman's Someone to Give My Love To

Having attended a lot of Jeff's seminars: Jeff was raising the F# string by pressing on it with a finger behind the key head. He mentioned to a classroom that it was a technique that was used by steelers in the pre-pedal era and beyond on various strings. Jeff also mentioned that he first learned to play six string guitar as a youngster at a Pentacostal Church camp. His innovative rendition of "Someone To Give My Love To" is one of my hands-down all-time favorite instrumentals.
(On my GFI keyless guitars, I use a knee lever to get the F# to G change.)