The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pedal....which is the best.
J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 1:51 pm    

Pot pedal works for me. Easier to hook up, fewer things to go wrong. Old Sho~Bud pedals are pretty cool looking, and feel real solid...Jerry

Jan Viljoen

Pretoria, South Africa
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 7:12 am     Ernie Ball VP

All this talk about pedals brought me to this website, apparently written by Inge from Germany.

It gives a lot of insight into the EB VP that Mark Knopfler used and some other stuff.

Are there others just as good or better, cheaper?
Is the quick sweep better or not?

http://www.mk-guitar.com/2008/09/10/knopflers-ernie-ball-volume-pedal-and-how-i-use-mine/

Idea

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 7:42 am    

Sounds like you have the wrong pot, or it's wired wrong. Sad I like a pot pedal because I can fix it easily when something goes wrong. I've never carried a spare pedal, and don't intend to...to each his own.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 7:53 am     Pot Pedal...

Gonna be buried with my Ernie Ball. I've used most others, but it works best in a bar fight. And, I just like that sound.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 7:55 am    

edit...

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 4 Nov 2013 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 10:35 am    

Once again, ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL!. Like everything else, the choice of a volume pedal is a matter of personal preference. Personally, I like the Telonics.

I had both a Goodrich 120 and an Ernie Ball for many years. I preferred the way the Goodrich sounded when I played live, but I felt the Ernie Ball sounded better when I was recording, and used it on all my CDs.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 12:02 pm    

I like the Telonics and the Hilton pedals equally. Used an Emmons pedal for years and it served well, but it's now relegated to the closet. The Emmons pedal was lighter & definitely easier to hook up, but totally, it did not compare with the other two. Absolutely hated the Ernie Ball pedal. For me it sucked out all the highs and articulation. I returned it back to the store after one gig.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 12:59 pm    

Goodrich 120, Dunlop high gain, Ernie Ball jr.
In that order. Great V.P.'s, Still got all three. Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 2:02 pm    

Another vote for Telonics!

Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 4:33 pm     Bad Note Analyzer code

Richard:
You hit the nail on the head. Engineering did write some BNA code for the FP-100 pedals and loaded it into my personal pedal. I took it out to a gig, but as you surmised, nothing ever came out, so I had to disable it in order to do the gig.
The band liked my playing with the BNA code enabled best.

Kevin and Jay:
About the massager, Yes! Her name is Wanda.
About the shoe polisher, NO,.... not yet.

Problem is we don't have enough to ship with all the pedals, so for now, no.

We'll just keep trying to cram all the features in - keep sending ideas.......
We never give up.

Dave

Jeff Valentine

Colorado Springs, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 7:40 pm    

It really depends on the sound you're trying to get. All the pedals have a slightly different sound. Your setup will also come into play. If you use in ear monitors you'll probably want to avoid pots all together. Personally, I like the Telonics pedal compared to the others I've tried. If possible, try some different pedals before you decide.

-Jeff

Robert Daniels

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2013 6:38 am    

Emmons pot pedal sounds best to me.Can't really say why - just a pot and a string...

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 9 May 2013 7:06 am    

How would using in-ears be less pot pedal friendly ???

Jeff Valentine

Colorado Springs, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2013 12:40 pm    

In response to Olli's question. In ears sit right up against the ear drum and really magnify every little detail in the sound. That's probably why most people don't like them. I, personally, like to play with a very clean sound. If I use a pot pedal I can hear that scratchy sound even when the pot is good. If not using in ears I don't notice it nearly as much. It's just a preference.

-Jeff

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 10 May 2013 3:16 am    

Thanks Jeff.
I`ve been doing sessions with regular headphones for decades using pot pedals and I haven`t noticed, maybe I will now Smile

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2013 10:05 am    

Another vote for Telonics....not that there is anything wrong with the other pedals - I leave Hilton and Ernie Ball pedals in my practice spaces...but the gig rig is always a 100% Telonics signal path (Telonics pickup to Telonics pedal). Everything Dave makes not only sounds good and is engineered so well it looks like it will last forever...it is also a thing of beauty in itself. It just feels right...

And I did value being able to go back and forth on all the tapers to pick the one that matched what my brain is trying to tell my foot to do, rather than having to do it the other way around, like with other pedals....they really are different, hard to tell if you can't A:B them like you can on the Telonics pedal. For me, I liked the Old-style Hilton taper (somewhat different than the taper of the new-style one with detached power supply, less of a dog-leg to the curve)...very similar to the Goodrich taper, but a hair different...

Jan Viljoen

Pretoria, South Africa
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2013 9:44 am     Ernie Ball

Hey steelers,

I found this link on Ernie Ball pedals.
It may be helpful.

http://www.mk-guitar.com/2010/09/07/ernie-ball-volume-pedal-modification-to-make-the-taper-sweep-like-with-the-old-allen-bradley-poti/

Idea

Bob Littleton

Camas, WA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2013 4:52 pm     Telonics

Telonics gets my vote. I was sceptical about the Telonic pedal at first. After using this pedal for several months and experimenting with different tapers, adjustments, etc., I find the pedal to be as important to my sound as my amp! It is unique and worth every penny! Smile

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2013 5:46 am     Re: Volume Pedal....which is the best.

David Hoskins wrote:
...most of the time, they are not what i would call a truly "graduated" scale. in other words, you usually get all of your volume in the last 30% of the pedal throw. what would you guys suggest?

David

It sounds like you're running the amp volume too low, because if you have the amp set low, then most of your volume will come on later. If you have the amp set high, you'll find the volume will come on earlier.

Joshua Gibson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2013 8:37 am    

+1 for Telonics, The pedal is made great and sounds even better, plus You'll never meet or speak with nicer folks then Dave and Sophie Very Happy,
Telonics, Zoom, BJS,
Goldtone BS, LITM, OS Dobros.
Fender, G&L, Gibson, Ibanez guitars.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2013 12:45 pm     Telonics for me.

Count me in the "House of Blue Lights" club.

A few years ago, I injured my R foot and it made it uncomfortable to work a normal VP. I could just barely get by with the L-120, but it was uncomfortable to use. My toes-up range of motion was restricted.

Dave built me one of their "Justin G" model pedals. It has the pivot located differently so the pedal works more in a toes-down configuration. Wow, that made a world of difference. Esp when hitting my RKR lever. I love my Telonics pedal. Sound and comfort, it suits my needs.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2013 2:37 pm    

FWIW: for the most part I use 50Kohm pot pedals, with dedicated impedance-matching buffers in front. From the pot pedal I go directly into the 1Mohm load provided by the power-amp input on an NV-112 (or similar high-ohm inputs if/when I record).

What comes through a 50Kohm pot pedal in this set-up is indistinguishable in quality from that of having no VP in the sound-chain, so I haven't found the need for dedicated PSG VPs. Boss VPs with 50Kohm pots in mono and stereo are solid and cheap, and with the stereo version I can play around with controlling effects with one channel while using the other channel as a normal VP. I love to keep it simple... Smile

Jan Viljoen

Pretoria, South Africa
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2013 9:43 pm     Volume Pedals

The Hilton does not normally work with the South African voltage, we have 220V here.

So I have somebody change the transformer to a SynOptics and it works nicely now. Lighter too.
I had to turn the small pots underneath to get the true sound.

The other one is a Boss FV 50 with high impedance for strings, which is also nice. It has two outputs, a socket for a tuner and a cutoff knob. Ghost power.

Let the games begin!!

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2013 3:08 pm    

#1 The Hilton (Standard Profile)
#2 Goodrich (Curly Chalker Model)
#3 Goodrich (L120 Pot Model)
#4 Goodrich (LDR Model)
#5 Telonics

Works for me. My most disliked pedal is sadly, the Telonics. Just to much to adjust, it's awkward to even handle, and everytime i use it, i find myself adjusting something different then the last time i used it. Just when i thought to myself...ah ha, now i've got it right where it feels best, it still isn't just right. No sweet spot for me on it. Oh Well

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2013 8:59 am    

Got most of the VP's mentioned. Never thought I would say this but putting my socks on and unplugging VP's to use with another lap or steel is an issue.

I went to a local music store where they had a Fender
volume pedal for $55.00 and it looked and felt hefty so I figured rather than banging my head just leave the VP plugged in. Like Ron Popiel says "Set it and for get it" I have 4 of these now on instruments I don't play all the time.

It's no Telonics or Hilton but ok for low cost "get you by" VP.

One VP I have that I can't quite get used to is the EH with no pot or mechanical parts. It's more like a balance beam but when you let it go it's full on. Maybe I should read the manual...*L*