The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pedal....which is the best.
David Hoskins

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 9:02 am    

i have used different volume pedals over the years with my guitars and have yet to find one that is just right. most of the time, they are not what i would call a truly "graduated" scale. in other words, you usually get all of your volume in the last 30% of the pedal throw. what would you guys suggest?

David

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 9:43 am    

Well its not inexpensive, but the best I have ever used is the new Telonics pedal...I got my from John, heres a link
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=189008

Hook

Pat Comeau

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 10:14 am    

David said=
Quote:
you usually get all of your volume in the last 30% of the pedal throw. what would you guys suggest?

Hi David, from my experience with volume pedals...most of the time you can get almost any decent volume pedal to work by only changing the pot cause that's the main component the rest it's just a shell to hold and make the volume pedal work, get the dunlop pot from Tom Bradshaw and i'm pretty sure it'll fix your problem, if the volume pedal is comfortable to you and it is the right height...all you need is a good pot. JMHO Smile

Pat C.

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_yXI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI

Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 4:20 pm     Volume Taper

David,
The characteristic of a volume pedal you are referring to is called "taper", which can be plotted on a graph showing how loud the output will be for any given position of the moveable treadle on the pedal (usually plotted in degrees). Every pot has a specific taper built into its resistive element and most audio tapers are very similar. Over the years, a lot of players asked me to look into a way to make a pedal which could be programmed to have any taper they wanted. That is exactly what Telonics pedals do. They come stock with five (5) different tapers, which satisfy about 96% of all the players so far. A taper switch on the side allows a different taper to be selected instantly (space was reserved in the design to add more tapers without changing any hardware). There are many other tapers available from the factory, BUT if none of the available tapers do exactly what you want, a special taper can be made up specifically for you. Just think about how you would like the volume to respond as you move the pedal forward. Contact me by email (so that we don't take up too much bandwidth on the Forum), and I'll be glad to work something out to do what you want.
As they say, the solution is "SMOP" - just a "Simple Matter Of Programming", and the pedal is all set to do whatever we tell it to do.
Dave

Elton Smith

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 6:17 pm    

Check this out.This is what makes a pedal.http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/potentiometers.php
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps

Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 7:07 pm    

The Hilton pedal is the best, in my experience. No pot to change, and perfectly clear tone, which you can't get with a pot pedal (at least with the ones I've used). I also find that the taper is very even. I'm extremely happy with it...never going back to a pot pedal...

I haven't tried the Telonics pedal, but it's probably at least as good as the Hilton (though it's almost twice the cost.) The taper select feature sounds pretty cool.

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 8:43 pm     Best VP

Without a doubt,,,TELONICS!!!!! Very Happy
BB

David Hoskins

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 9:11 pm     Re: Volume Taper

Dave Beaty wrote:
David,
The characteristic of a volume pedal you are referring to is called "taper", which can be plotted on a graph showing how loud the output will be for any given position of the moveable treadle on the pedal (usually plotted in degrees). Every pot has a specific taper built into its resistive element and most audio tapers are very similar. Over the years, a lot of players asked me to look into a way to make a pedal which could be programmed to have any taper they wanted. That is exactly what Telonics pedals do. They come stock with five (5) different tapers, which satisfy about 96% of all the players so far. A taper switch on the side allows a different taper to be selected instantly (space was reserved in the design to add more tapers without changing any hardware). There are many other tapers available from the factory, BUT if none of the available tapers do exactly what you want, a special taper can be made up specifically for you. Just think about how you would like the volume to respond as you move the pedal forward. Contact me by email (so that we don't take up too much bandwidth on the Forum), and I'll be glad to work something out to do what you want.
As they say, the solution is "SMOP" - just a "Simple Matter Of Programming", and the pedal is all set to do whatever we tell it to do.
Dave

thanks for the info, dave. "taper" is exactly what i was talking about, of course, and it looks like a telonics just might be the one for me.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 11:04 pm    

Is there enough memory for the Telonics pedal to have an extra feature programmed into it?

I'm talking about a bum note analyser, that will immediately shut the signal off, before it reaches the amp Very Happy

On second thoughts, if I had a pedal that could do that, it would spend more time 'off' than 'on', possibly making people think it was a tremelo effect Very Happy

Only kidding Very Happy Very Happy

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2010 6:05 am     Telonics

Hello all,

I have a supply of the amazing FP-100 volume pedals, in stock ready to ship. Give me a call.

Thanks,

JW
widcj@hotmail.com

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2010 8:10 am    

My vote is for the Telonics pedal....and I have used many different brands.....this one is the winner, hands down.

Billy Easton
Las Vegas, NV

Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2010 8:42 am    

Telonics.....period! Model 100A.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2010 11:14 am    

Budget's the boss !
best bang 4 $ ?
Goodrich 120
Hilton me 262
Telonics ( 4 vps in 1 )

i've used all 3
GR120 was my first - used it 4 years no probs whatsoever
Hilton me262 - used it 4 years too - great pedal, great sound & reliable
Telonics - recently got one & am amazed by it's versatility & reliability - the taper option is the best i've found so far
what i want in a vp is to open up immediately & not have any delay in sound
some of the old Emmons models were like that & opened up quick
i imagine it's all in how the curve on the pot is installed on the string

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 10:46 am    

Telonics!!!!!

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 12:04 pm    

Embarassed

Last edited by Kevin Hatton on 22 Aug 2010 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 12:05 pm    

Does the Telonics come with a foot massager? Does it also shine shoes?

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 1:04 pm    

No....but I've never heard a foot massager or shoe shiner that sounds like this thing!!! Whoa!
(....just got my FP-100A this past week)

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 3:28 pm    

I have a Telonics and a Hilton. The biggest advantages of the Telonics that I see over the Hilton are the selectable taper (although I have my Telonics set to mimic the Hilton taper), the possibility of adding an external volume controlling device (such as the much touted "hat" arrangement that was discussed earlier in the year) and the bright blue LED!

They're both great pedals, and I honestly can't tell any difference in tone between the two. They're both keepers. I think that the Telonics is ahead of the curve when it comes to technological advancement, and that might play a bigger role in the future. For now, I think you'd do very well with either pedal.

Dave

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 8:24 pm    

ernie ball

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 8:28 pm    

I'm back to using my Goodrich L120 most of the time. I like how it feels and sounds. Solid, reliable and very simple.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 8:16 am    

I'm with you Bob. Simple is better.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 9:41 am    

Why not, they can flame all 3 of us at the same time........... to my ears a pot pedal sounds the best... warmest tone, simple setup.

Buy a Goodrich, swap the pot for $25 and carry a $99 Dunlop for a spare. If you buy used you pry spent around $225 and have the tone that has captivated ears and been used by the pros on record for over 6 decades.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 5:56 pm    

well, thats four of us in a row

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 8:03 pm    

anything with no pot in it

mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 11:31 am    

Count me in with the pot pedal crowd. I like all of the "bad" things a pot pedal does..... and I have just enough NOS AB pots to last the rest of my life.....