The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Leodie Jackson Bigsby steel picture
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 8:15 am    

I just found this picture of Leodie with Ramblin' Jimmy Dolan and Lee Gillette in the Capitol studio, probably during a session.

Date unknown, could be as early as 1950.

Who has this guitar now?

Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 3:13 pm    

I knew Leodie somewhat back in the middle 40's. I think I bought my first Volume Control Pedal from him. He was making quite a "mark" for himself in
the 40's but sort of disapeared. I always wondered what happened to him. Before the Bigsby I sort of remember his playing a double neck stair stepped Rickenbacker. I think I saw him playing once with Jimmy Wakely at one time. I also have a picture of hime with the "Happy Perryman" band around 1945. He was a very good player.

Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 3:59 pm     leodie jackson

leodie is from my neck of the woods i know his sister brothers etc he was a great player and person iam glade you posted this picture iam going to show it to his sister and brotherin law tommorrow thanks they all still live at kiowa okla were he grew up

Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 4:05 pm     leodie jackson

i forgot to say here a few years back some one i dont know forsure if it was his girlfriend or who but they had a yard sale and sold a lot of his stuff by the time i found out about it it was all gone i dont know if it was in this sale or not

Billy Tonnesen

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 7:59 pm     Leodie with Happy Perriman

Will: Here is the picture of Leodie with the Happy Perryman Band here in So. Calif. in the mid 40's. If his family does't have a copy you can show them this one. From the posts I'm not sure if Leodie has passed on or not.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 8:00 pm    

Will:

Can you provide some details of whatever happened to Leodie?

He seems to have disappeared from the steel guitar scene by the mid 1950s.

Did he pass away at a very early age? Go into other work? Move out of the country? It's odd that he would simply vanish.

Do you have any other pictures of him?

Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 7:39 am     leodie jackson

leodie passed away several years ago about 7-8 yrs ago all his relatives still live around kiowa and all of them are great musichans some still play the steel others are fiddlers and so on great people his cousin a fiddle player is a good friend of mine his name is anthony plays some great bob wills stuff

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 8:15 am    

Leodie had a son who used to come into Blackie Taylor's music store at times when I lived in SoCal. This would have probably been in the late sixties/seventies period. He also played steel but I don't think he was any where near the league of his father. I remember that he was kind of a short guy and had Blackie put some short pedal rods on his guitar at one point. If he's still around, he could have his father's Bigsby! This would have been when Blackie's store was in Garden Grove, Ca. I think the name Leodie came from Leo D. Jackson and went on from there.........JH in Va.

Billy Tonnesen

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 11:45 am    

When I first heard Leodi he was playing at the B & R Cafe on Whittier Blvd. in East Los Angeles, Ca. They had a remote Broadcast every night on one of the local Radio Stations. The story at that time was that Leodie was under age. The Kitchen was just off the Bandstand and Leodie was sitting in the Kitchen to keep him legal. I was never at this Club so I don't know what the set up looked like, I was too young to get in.

Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 2:48 pm     leodie jackson

bill i talked to his neice today and she said she thought his son was still in californa somewere she was wonderingif you might have any pictures of her dad leon who was out in calf playing with leodie at this same time

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2021 4:03 pm    

Old post, but just ran across while researching Leodie.

Leodie was with Jimmie Dolan's band in late 1951, he recorded with Dolan on at least two sessions in 1952, which is presumably when the first photo is from.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2021 5:51 pm    

Tons of Leodie's work here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Leodie+Jackson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger