The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  11 year old Carey Heavner - UPDATED 9/9/2010
Mike Heavner

Fallston,N.C.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2010 11:14 am    

Hello everyone I regret to inform all of you here on the forum that hospice has been called in to assist with careys cancer.However the nurse that has been taking care of carey during all this has insisted on playing the role of hospice until things are needed from Hospice. The nurse and carey have become really close through all of this she is more than her nurse she has become a really close friend of the family and she holds a special place in our hearts,especially careys.Carey got to come home on monday after the dr's at childrens levine hospital informed us that there was really nothing else they could do because the cancer is so aggressive that all we are doing is just running a race with it.The dr's in houston felt like they got all the cancer but according to the dr's the cancer is microscopicly all in her lower body. Carey has told her mom and me that she didn't want to do anymore surgerys or to do anymore chemo.As a parent I wanted to insist that carey have this surgery to remove this terrible tumor that has come back after only just a short 8 weeks ago of having the chemo flush in houston.It's has really been emotional around here but yet as the man of the house I hold my head up high and try to stand strong for carey and the family.She is aware of what is going on and is really holding strong just like she always has.The dr's have told us we can epect a couple of months with her and to just comfort her and enjoy what little time we may have with her.The tumor that has come back so agressively can be seen through my littles girls belly as she lays on her back on the couch napping. This shouldn't be happening to a little precious angel such as carey. The little girl has never had a whippen from daddy,That's just how humble and precious she has been her whole life.Well I've got to get off here and go ocupy myself with something. If I could request all of you who read this could you please send some cards in the mail to carey.She really loves getting them and reading them. It really makes her smile and I love to see her smile.
Carey Heavner
p.o. Box 23
Fallston,n.c.
www.caringbridge.org/visit/carey
www.hopeforcarey.com
My cell # is 704-477-6879

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2010 12:50 pm    

We'll continue to keep Carey in our thoughts and prayers, Mike. As well as you and your family.

Al Starnes

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 5:10 am    

Mike, the Heavner family, especially Carey, are in my constant thoughts and prayers. Words fall short of the mark; just know I'm with you guys in spirit.

Al

George Brown

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 7:04 am    

Mike,
My heart goes out to Carey, and all your family. I have followed Carey's story, from the first post you made about her illness, and she has got to be the Bravest, and Strongest little Lady that I have ever known. Not many people, children,or adults could endure what she has, and keep a positive attitude. I will keep Praying, that God will yet, grant her a Miracle. God Bless.
George...

Joe McHam

Houston, TX * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 8:24 am     Thoughts & Prayers

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all during this difficult time...
Peavey Vegas Amp.
Casio PG-380 midi guitar
Ham Radio WA5OKT
Private Pilot SEL

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 11:20 am    

Mike, My heart bleeds with you and you wife. This is terrible news. I was so in hopes Carey was going to get better.
There is no ryme or reason why these things happen except God has a plan and we must trust in him. you can rest assured that Carey is part of that plan.
If there is anything I can do let me know.
BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Last edited by Bill Dobkins on 8 Aug 2010 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luke Morell

Ramsey Illinois, USA Hometown of Tex Williams
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 7:17 pm    

This is heartbreaking,ya'll are in my thoughts and prayers.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 7:26 pm    

Carey and Family,

We are so sorry this isn't turning out as everyone had hoped and prayed. Your family has touched many lives and warmed many hearts. We continue to pray that strength and peace will overflow your lives, and that you'll feel the love we all have for you.

God bless you all,
Donna and Tommy
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 7:26 pm    

Praying for you sweetheart. GOD's a mighty big GOD !

Tony

Bill Stroud

Dresden, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 12:48 pm     Just read this

God knows best but we will be praying for you and I'll have our church to pray also.
Carey I have just went through with some treatments and thank God for his healing touch, it's never too late for someone's prayer to be answered.
Keep the faith.
Jesus is the answer and remember no matter what happens you are still a winner God has a plan that sometimes we don't understand.

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 3:35 pm     sorry to hear this

Mike im so sorry to hear this
my heart goes out to Carey and your family
she is a brave little girl
my love to her and your family
let me know if there is anything I can do
Mike Very Happy

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 3:47 pm    

Mike & Family, it saddened our hearts so badly when we read this post. As many have been doing, we have been following your posts. Our prayers will continue for Carey, and hope she is comforted with God's Love.
Card has been sent to Carey. God Bless you all.
Larry and Jean

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 6:50 am    

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 7:03 am     I just put a card in the mail

I hope a lot of others take a few minutes and do the same. That precious little girl could use all the smiles she can get.

Wayne

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 9:56 am    

My prayers and best wishes for you and your family Mike..
Hook

Mike Heavner

Fallston,N.C.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 10:25 am    

Hello everyone,I just would like to thank all of you who are sending your prayers up to the good lord above.On an exciting note......Carey got to go to the JUSTIN BIEBER concert last night,It was a very exciting day yesterday as the word cancer never entered her mind from about 3:00 pm til 1:00 am this morning.Carey thought that she and her best friend were just going to get in the family car and ride to charlotte nc to the concert,Little did she know that arrangements had already been made by from a local dr's office to have a HUMMER LIMOUSINE to pickup CAREY and her friend along with mom and a friend and was taken to the concert in style.on the way to concert she had to make a requested stop by wbtv news in charlotte nc where carey would talk to news anchor lady MOLLY GRATHAM who is the nicest lady you will ever meet.Molly informed CAREY that not only was she going to see the concert but again arrangements had been made by an annonimous person that CAREY would get to meet JUSTIN BIEBER in person back stage. Carey broke down and started to cry and my wife and I just held her in our arms and wept with her.Very emotional moment but very exciting at the same time.Carey got a gift bag filled with cd's t-shirts,autographed picture frames etc.It was a day she and our family will cherish and talk about for as long as possible. Well just wanted to give a update on the exciting day yesterday thanks to all and have a wonerful and safe day.
Mike & Kim Heavner

bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 11:51 am    

what a wonderful evening for a terrific little girl!

Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 2:39 pm    

Our thoughts and prayers are for you in this trying time. May the good Lord give you the strength, peace and comfort to make it through this trial.

Donna

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 3:08 pm    

I have sent a special card to Carey and a letter to Mike and Kim.

Would all who read this thread please send Carey a card so she knows just how many people are praying for her and keeping her and the Heavner family in their hearts.

Mike says Carey really loves reading her cards and it puts a smile on her face. These smiles are priceless! For the sake of this courageous family, send Carey a card and make happy memories for everyone, your good selves included.

Please send Carey a card! I know times are tough for everyone in the USA, but think just how tough it is for the Heavners right now. It is little enough to ask. A card. A message of support and faith. Please.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Merrill & Vangie Fich

Yuma, Az.
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2010 5:45 pm    

We're so sorry to hear about your precious little daughter. We are in Alaska this summer, caring for Vangie's folks. I found a DVD of Alaska animals that I'm sending to Carey with a post card. Hope she enjoys it. Maybe it will brighten her day just a little. Our love and prayers are certainly with you!

Mike Heavner

Fallston,N.C.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 11:13 am    

Hello,
This is Carey's mom Kim. Just wanted to update everyone.Carey has been doing ok here at home with the help of her nurse. The nurse we have taking care of Carey is the best and Carey loves her, she has been taking Care of Carey for the past year. She feels real comfortable with her she visits twice a day everyday of the week. We had been trying to take care of Carey's pain by just giving it to her through her GTUBE but this did not last long at all. So on Friday they finally delivered her IV Morphine and this has made a big difference in controlling her pain. The pain medicine is continuos and if she needs more she can get it every 6 minutes. She has been sleeping alot the last few days but at least she is resting. She has been geting alot of cards from all over the place like Alaska, Canada, Brithish Columbia and she has been loving it everyday her daddy checks the mail and we just hand it to her because it is all for her. She looks forward to every morning to see how much mail she will get this really makes her smile. Thanks to everyone who has sent her cards and gifts and for all the prayers and for letting her know how much you care about her. Continue to keep us in your prayers we really need these right now. We did talk to the doctors in Houston that has taken care of Carey before and they wanted to look at her scans to make sure that the doctors here were right about everything and said that there was definetly a tumor and it was pretty large and that the surgeon said that she would not feel comfortable with any more surgery and that we were doing the best thing for her just making her comfortable at home . So with that said that is what we are doing spending time together as a family and just loving her each day as much as we can. so thanks again for all you have done and for the prayers.And for those of you that would like to send Carey a card our address is Po Box 23 Fallston NC 20842.

www.hopeforcarey.com
www.caringbridge.org/visit/careyheavner

Mike and Kim Heavner

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 1:54 pm    

Hi Kim & Mike,

Thanks for the update. More cards on the way from Australia!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 8:11 pm    

Mike and Kim,
We haven't met, as I don't post much and very seldom come to this area of the forum. Mike and Karen, my heart is breaking for the two of you as I can't even imagine your pain. I am at a loss as to what to say except that may God comfort you in your future days and years. I have forwarded your story onto my circle of friends and we all will keep you in our prayers.

steve

Jamie Stoner

Bowling Green, Kentucky
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 2:50 pm    

Our prayers are with you...We own a funeral home in Bowling green KY and working with families who have a child that is sick always tears us up. We have 11 kids, and I could never imagine any of them being sick! If there is anything we could do other than offer a prayer, do not hesitate to ask! Cards will be coming your way from Bowling Green....God Bless
Michael Douchette's Franklin; Sho~Bud Fingertip D12; Sho Bud S10 6139 Serial #2911;1973 Fender Twin Reverb Silverface; Fender Cyber Twin; VZ Custom Telecaster; Epi Les Paul Custom Silverburst; Epi DOT; Copley Acoustic; Copley Acoustic Bass; Hammond E311 Organ; 1941 Chickering Baby Grand Piano, formerly owned by John Prine; 1921 Chickering Baby Grand 100th Anniv Quarter Grand

Bob Callaway

Bob & Barbara of Shepherdsville, Kentucky
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 3:08 pm    

We will keep Carey and her parents in our prayers. May God comfort all of you.
Bob&Barb.
Member LMSGC, NTSGA, ASGA, OzarkSGA, PSGA,
www.BobCallaway