The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Polishing Service?
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2010 5:55 am    

Is there someone that is doing a polishing service? It seems that there is a need for someone that has the equipment, know how and expertise to refinish and polish out the bright work on any pedal steel. I'm so busy myself doing other things and got up this morning feeling older then usual, with less life on the back end then the front and the thought occurred to me. I've got a S10 Marlen that needs the metal parts redone. Some call it, its persona, battle scares, I call it, "looks bad". To many plane, train and boat trips and being handled by 200 pound gorillas.

Just curious to know if there is a place to send only the parts I wanted done.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2010 7:30 am    

Dick, businesses that do chrome plating can polish the parts. Maybe check with a local motorcycle shop, they would be able to recommend someone.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2010 7:34 am    

Thanks Bill, hadn't thought of that. Appreciate it...

Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2010 11:09 am     polishing

Bud's polishing. Ask Tom Bradshaw for his address His phone No. is 615-513-9238. He's very reasonable. He used to do all of Sho-Bud's polishing when they built guitars. He lives in Peagrim, Tenn. Very reasonable prices. Does about everyones work.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2010 12:26 pm    

Dick, if you send them to me I can get them done for you here in Buffalo. The place that I use is a professional polishing shop. Please note that some castings are beyond polishing because of their quality concerning pitting. There is no substitute for a professional polisher unless you have the equipment. Email me if you are interested.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2010 1:01 pm    

Dick, you're near the metal working capital of the US aren't you? Southern Ohio has, or at least used to have a giant population of such industries. Any place that does metal plating, polishing, buffing can do the work for you. You might have to check around for one that is willing to do it for you though. I found several in your area with a google search for metal plating and polishing. Maybe you can find one of these near you that would be willing to do it for you.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 30 Jul 2010 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2010 6:05 pm    

Thanks guys, lots of options there. I'm thinking ahead and trying to be proactive, as I haven't even torn down the Marlen yet. A few bar dings that need to be worked out, so someone I could do a face to face with would be preferred. All options open though and sending them to another picker that could get it done and know what had to be done sounds very doable. Thanks for the offer Kevin. When the time comes, you may get a jingle...

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2010 9:59 pm    

Any time Dick. Here to help.

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2010 10:07 pm    

Dick,

I can do the polishing here and I am not that far from you. I have a buffer set up in my shop and should be able to get you a desirable finish on them.

Greg

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2010 5:02 am    

Thanks Kevin...

Hey Greg, I'll also keep you in mind. Within driving distance and I'd sure like to see your ZB collection. Maybe I'll see you at the next OSGA jam.

Thanks guys, the options keep coming in.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2010 8:32 am     Stick with one someone uses

My experience says do not just go to a polisher.

Some people say that they can do it but steel guitar parts need to be done correct and perfect - many polishers are form the "that's good enough" school of thought.

We have to look at the parts so we want the right.

My 2 cents but it's free

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2010 8:58 am    

Dick, get you a jar of "Mothers Mag Wheel and Aluminum Polish".I use it on the bright work oon my steel. It's safe and the results are simply amazing.
Tommy Shown