The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Digitech RP150 Patches/Settings Files
Melvin Farmer

Saraland, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2010 5:29 pm    

Got me a RP155. Need some help putting those files in it.

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2010 8:01 pm    

Sent you a PM Melvin.

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 8:33 am    

Melvin,

I need you to PM me your email address. I have to be able to send you some attachments and that's not possible through the Forum's PM or email buttons.

Soon as I get your email, I'll send the instructions.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2010 7:02 pm     RP Presets

For those of you who might not use the X-Edit software, here are settings for some of the presets I made for my RP-150:

Some of the parameters on the Dobro preset might not be available without the software...can't remember Confused

If anyone wants this template in Excel, I'll be happy to send it...

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2010 5:42 am     Excel Template

Very nice Steve...

If you email me those, I'll add them to the Skydrive presets, when I have the time.

Thanks,
Dick Sexton

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2010 6:49 am    

I love my RP155 for regular steel work. I put it after the vol pedal and it works nicely. I like the reverb and delay settings. However, I'm not having much luck with distortion settings for use with my lap steel. Maybe I'm used to having something before the VP. The distortion after the VP just feels strange to me and the tone has too much variability with the VP's setting. Steve, you mentioned that you configured your RP150 distortion settings to work well *after* the VP. What does that entail? What am I doing wrong?

In theory it outta work. My favorite setting is a Ricky bake => VP => tweed deluxe. So for amp only distortion, it works, being after the VP. I just have to figure out how to get the RP to breathe the same way.

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2010 10:19 am    

Tom,

When I created my distortion settings I was playing in a very large (500-1000 occupancy) club, and playing at high stage volumes, even with a PA/soundman.

I set my distortion to typically be used at 50-70% volume pedal. This gives me the ability to go from relatively clean (low volume) to all out fuzz (max volume, depending on where my volume pedal is. I actually prefer the overdriven sound at about 60% pedal. Once I get the texture that I want at 60%, the volume doesn't so much increase from there as does the saturation into fuzz at 100%.

The real trick is to get the volume matched up so that is a smooth transition from my normal rev/delay setting, instead of changing the preset and being pulverized.Whoa!

Hope that makes sense....

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2010 12:25 pm    

That makes sense to me. Reminds of my days with a Pod. I gave up on Line 6 stuff when it failed while traveling a long distance to a gig and the repair cost was more than the unit cost. I've been using the RP155 as a backup to my pedal board. But, heck, they are so cheap that I could see having two for gigs. One as the primary and one as a backup stuffed away in my SteelSeat. Then I could dump the whole pedal board altogether. Me likes dat idea.

As you can tell, I like redundancy. I used to work in the "Federal Department of Redundancies Department". : )

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2010 1:31 pm    

Tom,

I own three RP-150's. And I didn't pay more than $60 for any of them. Incredible bargain for the Lexcion reverb alone, not to mention all the other features.

I use one for my practice area, one for the gig, and a backup.

The most recent purchase was for $40 off craig's list. Mint, in the box.

Pete Conklin

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2010 5:33 am    

Steve,

Are you finding them locally on CL or having them shipped to you?

I've found a few RP150's out of town and I'm a little afraid of sending these CL's my money.

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2010 6:20 pm    

I bought one at Rainbow Guitars here in Tucson in the "bargain bin" for $60. Two came from Craig's List locally, both within a month of each other. One for $60,the other was $40. I didn't need the third one, just couldn't resist. It did find a permanent spot with my recording desk. Smile

This all happened in the early part of 2008, if I recollect correct.

LaVern Skarzenski

North East,Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2011 11:45 am     Need a bit of help on my RP155

Hi All,
I was fortunate enough to have Santa bring me a RP 155 for Christmas. I've been playing around with it and becoming more familiar with it. I have down loaded the files from Dick's page and converted a couple of them to 155. I must say it has been a learning process for sure. I play E9th, mostly country, through a Nashville 112 and have been very successful in getting a few different settings to my liking, but one particular sound eludes me. It is the driven(?) sound that Bishop Hall gets on his posted YouTube videos. It seems that something close must be hiding in this pedal and I just can't find it. Can somebody give me an idea about where to start? My setup is: Guitar to High Gain input on the 112. I run the volume pedal in the pre-EQ patch, and I run a Fish and Chips EQ pedal and the 155 in the post EQ patch with the cable from the send into the Fish and Chips and out of that into the input of the 155 and out of the left output into the return on the 112. I use the Fish and Chips to enhance the Dobro patch from Dick's site. Any advice or input will be welcome. Thanks.
LaVern Skarzenski

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2011 2:26 pm    

LaVern, or anybody, please post a link to the video you're referring to.

LaVern Skarzenski

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2011 2:36 pm    

Hi Steve,

Here is a link to one of his YouTube videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a0JdNNwZZ4. He has 34 of them. I haven't listened to every one of them but each one that I have seems to have a real common sound. Thanks for your quick reponse.
LaVern

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2011 4:51 pm    

Thanks Lavern,

So far I'm hearing short-medium delay with no repeats...(use the analog delay on the RP)

I need to listen to some more videos, but I think the RP is easily capable of the sound, once it's defined.

Seems like I'm hearing some "doubling" every once in a while in the track also.

I've got to play for a couple of hours tonight but will give some more listens when I get back.

Thanks for the links....Sounds great!

LaVern Skarzenski

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2011 5:17 pm    

Thanks Steve,
That will give me someplace to start. I know the RP ought to be able to get close, but I can't seem to get it. I think this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ0efyOYtaQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL is the very first video of his that I watched that really caught my ear. At the time I thought it must be the amp he used, but anymore I think it's a lot more than that. Most likely it's his great playing style and musical skills. Thanks again.
LaVern

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2011 5:17 pm     Bishop Ronnie Hall

La Verne,
Bishop Hall is a member of the forum and has a web site. I don't know for sure but suspect he would tell you just what he has and and how he is using it. I don't play his style, but enjoy listening to it.

His web site and email address can be found on this thread. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=196882

I hope you find what he is using and will pass it along to us.
Dick Sexton

LaVern Skarzenski

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2011 5:39 pm     Good Idea! I should have thought of that myself.

Hi Dick,
That's a good idea, I just sent Bishop Hall an email and will pass on any information I get.

LaVern

Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Detroit, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2011 3:30 pm    

Hi Guys,
Forgive me for butting in, but since I seem to be a part of your discussion, I wanted to see if this is the type of "sound" that you are discussing, that I play. Maybe if I knew what you were researching, maybe I would be able to help.
At any rate, try the sound on this video to see if this is the sound you want to know about, because I cant tell one from the other. at least try it out. As I often say, it is just "dumb luck", that the videos turn out the way they do! Smile
Ron (Bishop Hall)
http://www.youtube.com/user/goldensacredstrings

LaVern Skarzenski

Post  Posted 3 Jan 2011 4:11 pm     That's what I'm talking about!

Hi Bishop Hall,
You aren't butting in by any means, we welcome your input. That is the sound I am trying to find. I think that we all would like to hear more from you about your setup. Maybe others can ask more pertinent questions than I am able to though. I really don't know how to describe what I like about the sound. Is it a driven sound? Is it a tube amp sound? Is it a driven, tube amp sound? Hopefully somebody can get in here and help out. Thanks for joining this discussion.
LaVern

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2011 5:16 pm    

Lavern,
I just want to make sure we are still on topic here. If I am correct, we are trying to decode Bishop Halls use of Reverb and Effects, so it can be duplicated as close as possible in the RP150 or RP family of Multi-effects pedals. Right? If so, the questions I asked in your PM, if answered, will prove to be of significant importance. I have Audacity on my desk top, as do many here. If we had Bishop Halls Effects numbers from his Audacity program, that would simplify the task.

Some more thoughts...

LaVern Skarzenski

Post  Posted 3 Jan 2011 5:48 pm     Yes, that's still my goal.

Hi Dick,
Yes that is still what I am trying to figure out, what effects on the RP150/155 would be used to get the sound Bishop Hall gets.

So I ask Bishop Hall, Are you using Audacity for your effects? If so what effects do you use and what numbers do or values are you using? This may help the folks who do use Audacity get the settings for the RP 150/155 and in turn get me on the right path.

I am interested in live playing sounds more so than recorded sounds, but there are probably a few people here who do use Audacity and the effects, and numbers would help them with their recording efforts.
Do you monitor the sound of your recording, while your are recording?

Finally I do want to say that I realize that two different people, playing the exact same instrument and settings will get two different sounds. I know I can't play exactly like Bishop Hall does, but would like to get an idea of how to get a sound similar to his sound.

Please if anybody else has anything to add or ask, jump in. Thank You.......... everyone.
LaVern Skarzenski
P.S. I hope I don't get a double posting here. Half way through my first reply I lost the page. It's probabbly out there in cyberland somewhere Very Happy Laughing So if there is a double post....sorry. LJS

Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Detroit, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2011 1:00 pm    

Hey Guys again!
I can appreciate your efforts to discover how I get the sounds I think you are looking for, but the truth is, I dont know how to explain what I am apparently doing, that I dont know about. Other than to say it must be in the equiptment I use! Yes, I have Audacity, but I dont use it, except to change the pitch keys to some of my backgrounds recorded.
As I have also stated to Lavern, I`m really not a highly technical person, so if it is not simple, I dont use it. Now the audacity program I have is the Beta one. It`s number is the 1.3 beta code. But again I dont use it!
The way I record, is microphone useless, it is called "Direct Injection!"! I record straight into a small mixer, into a pre recorded backing track on a Tascam MF-PO1 Portastudio 4 track cassette recorder. I add to the Video, when I put it all together, a little digital reverb from a Behringer DR100 foot pedal. The playback of the backing track is played through a Samson S63 Mixer amplifier, to which I play the accompanying steel as I create the video through a Logitech Webcam. So I guess, I`ll have to say again, It is just "dumb luck", for it to turn out the way it does.
Until Lavern contacted me, I did`nt even know what a "RP 155", was, so help me fellows, that is the truth!!!! Shocked Whoa! Oh Well Laughing
Anyway, if you guys can find out how I`ve done this any other way, would you let me know too! Shocked I have no idea, and it is beginning to worry me!!!! Confused
Be blessed guys! Very Happy
Bishop Hall (Ron)

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2011 1:10 pm     Recording USB direct from an RP150 to Audacity.....

The discussion above concerning Audacity Effects as compared to the RP150 Effects prompted some study that solved why I was unable to record direct from my RP150 to Audacity in my computer. The following is what solved it for me.

How I record to Audacity directly from my RP150 on my PC w/Windows XP Pro.

1. First make sure your Digitech USB is enabled as a Sound Recording Device by:
A. Opening your “Control Panel”(Click on Start>Settings>Control Panel) then click on Sounds and Audio Devices Icon.
B. Click on the “Audio Tab”.
C. Under Sound Recording, make sure you have "Digi Tech USB 1-2 in/out" showing in the window. If not click, on the pull down arrow and select it and then click on “Apply” at the bottom of the pane. You can leave these open until your sure it records.

2. With your RP150 hooked up as normal to your Steel/VP/Amp, make sure it is powered off. Hook up the USB cable from the RP150 to your computer USB port. Any seem to work. Power on your RP150. Your computer should find an recognize the "New Hardware".

3. Open “Audacity” and in the window to the right of the "input level slider" click on the pull down and select “Line In”.

4. Note: you will not see the Input Level VU Meter respond until you actually start recording.

5. Now you should be able to record your steel directly into one of the track in Audacity.

Most of everything I needed to get this to work for me, I found on the Digi Tech Site. www.digitech.com Under Faqs and Comments.

LaVern Skarzenski

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2011 1:40 pm     Thanks everybody!!

Hi All,
Just want to thank all you folks for trying to get me squared away. Smile I guess I was hoping that by listening to Bishop Hall play, someone with an educated ear could tell what effects I might try to use to get something close to that sound. Embarassed I guess like in most things....it's just not that simple is it? I was playing around with some different effects last evening, and I thought that maybe I was getting close, when I got called away from the steel. I just shut off the steel and RP and I lost all of my settings. Embarassed Embarassed I'll try it again later on this evening and see where I get. Thank you all for trying to help me out. Very Happy
LaVern