The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which Johnny Bush CD?
John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 12:45 pm    

I have no recordings of Johnny Bush. I know there is some great steel work in addition to his excellent vocals. If you could only have one CD of his, which would it be?

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 12:57 pm    

I haven't kept up with Bush CDs, but I would get one with his classic late 60s/early 70s recordings done in Nashville for the Stop and Million labels.

Titles like:

Jim, Jack, and Rose
A moment isn't very long
An eye for an eye
I'll be there
Apartment number 9
Lonely street
Unchained melody
Undo the right
What a way to live
What made Milwaukee famous
You gave me a mountain
You ought to hear me cry

Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 1:04 pm    

Johnny Bush "Sound of a Heartache". It's the album that has "Farewell Party" with Jimmy Day. That's the only one I have, or want. You can get this from his web-site.

Bill

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 1:27 pm    

If you can find a copy, the Whiskey River album (vinyl) is great. Buddy Emmons' steel break on "Put Me Out of My Memory" is a masterpiece.

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 1:41 pm     cd.....

"Johnny Bush and The Bandoleros-Live At Dancetown USA".....awesome sound of a push pull by Rick Price ( currently with Jake Hooker and The Outsiders).

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 2:14 pm    

Johnny Bush Greatest Hits Volume 1...I just listened to it this morning...it was good to me.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 2:39 pm    

Ditto on the Greatest Hits Vol 1. Bought it at ET REcord Shop on Broadway a couple of years ago. It's been good to me too.

Also consider "Lillies White Lies" and his CD with Johhny Rodrigues called "Texas Legends".

Jason Longoria

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 6:40 pm    

yes what Mike said, the Live Disc is great ..

also the greatest hits vol 1 which has the RCA recordings

and one of my favorites of his more recent recordings is the one w/ Justin Trevino, "texas on a saturday nite"

great songs and steel on that one as well

John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2010 8:02 pm    

thanks you guys have given me about 4 now that I'll probably want! I got Herb Steiner's "20 Intros, Turnarounds, and Solos" to learn some new stuff and the CD has excerpts to hear the steel part off the original recording (its all Johnny Bush material) then it has Herb playing the part slowly, really good instructional stuff. I hear just a little of the vocals as it fades in and out and wow what a good singer. Never heard him on the radio up in this neck of the woods. (Like John B Sebastion said "...up north ain't nobody buys em and I said but I will..." {from "Nashville Cats"})
Thanks you guys, now tell me how to explain to my wife why I bought so many CDs at one crack!

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2010 6:14 pm    

For a newer J.B. CD, check out The Lost Highway Saloon. Its got a bunch of really great pickers on it.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2010 8:59 pm    

I have never found a Johnny Bush album, cassette or CD that I did not like. Always great vocals and instumentation. Jody.

Don Euton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2010 12:14 pm    

I have 14 Johnny Busch CD`s and several vinyls. I like everyone of them. "Sound of a Heartache" has 2 of Buddy Emmons and the rest, Jimmy Day. Besides "Fairwell Party" if you would like to hear "Danny Boy" sang and played with expression,it is on that one too.
"Live At Dance Town USA" features Rick Price and one of the best dance bands in the Country, at that time. When you listen, you feel like your are there.
His Texas Legend Series, VOL. II, Greatest Hits, 1968-1972, has 24 songs on it.
" Texas State of Mine" came out about 10 years ago, and features Buddy Emmons and Dicky Overby on steel.
I like the way Johnny`s CD`s, in the past 10 -15 years, has information on the cover. Johnny writes them himself. He usually names the musicians, song writers, the recording studio, and the people who who helped with the CD.
I have several favorites, but they are all good.
Don Euton

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2010 10:51 pm    

Sound Of A Heartache stays on my old stereo. It's the best. I ask Johnny why no fiddle, he said it didd'nt need it.
Buddy Emmons, Jimmy Day, steel
Jerry Reed, guitar
Jerry Smith, piano
Wille Akerman, drums
Jr. Huskey, bass.
recorded at RCA Studio B, Nashville, Tn.
Are there any questions.

Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 11:51 am    

As stated above: "Sound of a Heartache" is the ONLY one I have, or want. It absolutely can't be beat.

Bill

John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 12:42 pm    

No questions Johnny!
Order on its way to JohnnyBush.com for
"Sound of a Heartache".....(for starter).......
Thanks everybody

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2018 4:12 pm    

Clyde Mattocks wrote:
If you can find a copy, the Whiskey River album (vinyl) is great. Buddy Emmons' steel break on "Put Me Out of My Memory" is a masterpiece.

That was Rick Price on the record.

Clyde Mattocks

Post  Posted 25 May 2018 6:17 pm    

Thanks for responding Justin. Looking at the credits on my vinyl album, it says, Steel Guitar: Jim Baker, Jimmy Day, Buddy Emmons, Dicky Overby, Rick Price. I am aware of how great Rick Price is, but if its not Buddy on that cut, then Rick is doing the best job I ever heard of channeling Buddy's tone,phrasing and pure attitude. I could be convinced. I'm not being argumentative. Help me out here.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2018 6:18 am    

John Ummel wrote:

Thanks you guys, now tell me how to explain to my wife why I bought so many CDs at one crack!

Simple. You play the CD's for her. If she does not understand, trade her in for a new one! Laughing

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 26 May 2018 9:47 am    

"Sound Of A Heartache" is among my all time favorites, love "Lost Highway Saloon"!

Kind Regards, Walter

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2018 8:00 pm    

Johnny's really early stuff is the best. I can't remember when but he acquired a condition known as spasmic dystonia (he discusses this in his biography) and his voice was never the same again. He was still able to occasionally record and perform but he lost his edge. I heard him in night clubs in the late 80's and although he already had the condition he was much better than the last 10 years or so. I had a friend who Johnny stayed with when he came to Fort Worth, his botulinus toxin injections were working better and he talked most of the night, he said sorry for talking so long but this was the first time I've been able to have a conversation in 30 years.

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 5:19 am    

The songs of that era were put on different albums, different labels, etc. they are from different sessions sometimes years apart. I’ll try to find the particular album you have and sit down with John and he can tell us who was on what. I know Buddy was on some of it as were others.
I can say with certainty that Rick is playing on “Put me out of my Memory”. He’s probably playing the “Dancetown” Wraparound. We’d have to ask him.
Rick is a lot better player than he gets credit for, especially in the studio.

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 5:23 am    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
Johnny's really early stuff is the best. I can't remember when but he acquired a condition known as spasmic dystonia (he discusses this in his biography) and his voice was never the same again. He was still able to occasionally record and perform but he lost his edge. I heard him in night clubs in the late 80's and although he already had the condition he was much better than the last 10 years or so. I had a friend who Johnny stayed with when he came to Fort Worth, his botulinus toxin injections were working better and he talked most of the night, he said sorry for talking so long but this was the first time I've been able to have a conversation in 30 years.

I’ll bet you are speaking of AJ Lockett. She was a special person and a great friend to everyone.

JB is still doing the Botox and they have really dialed it in. He’s singing stuff in the original keys again and shows no signs of slowing down. I think he’s 83 or 84. He’s pretty amazing!

Clyde Mattocks

Post  Posted 27 May 2018 6:18 am    

Yes Justin, those cuts are from a lot of different sessions and to add to the confusion, JB probably cut some of the tunes more than once with different players. I have seen posts here on the forum crediting Weldon Myrick on Whiskey river, although he is not listed on the Whiskey River album I have on the Delta label.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 7:35 am    

All of John's records have an appreciable amount of greatness, simply because of his voice and the players he used to record.

But there are only two desert-island must-haves: The Johnny Bush Greatest Hits Vol.1 (RCA) and the Johnny Bush Greatest Hits 1968-72 (Texas Music Legend #2)

The first has all his RCA hits, and the second has all his Stop Records hit. Not a dud on either disc.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2018 8:52 am    

Johnny Bush was an enormous fan of steel guitar. He told me one time his favorite player was Buddy Charleton. In his biography he relates about the first time he heard a steel guitar his experience was similar to mine, it was kinda like someone threw a switch on in our brains.