The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Judy Lynn passes
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 28 May 2010 5:46 am    

I am saddened to report that Country Music Entertainer Judy Lynn passed away last night after a brief illness. Judy had been been experiencing difficulties with her health for most of the year, but began to steadily decline during the last two weeks. She was surrounded by family members and went very peacefully.

Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 28 May 2010 8:06 am    

she was a good singer heres her singing a tune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvRj-Z7PeIM

Joe McHam

Houston, TX * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 May 2010 3:54 pm     Gone Home!

Such a beautiful voice. My thoughts and prayers are with her friends and family during this difficult time..
Peavey Vegas Amp.
Casio PG-380 midi guitar
Ham Radio WA5OKT
Private Pilot SEL

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 28 May 2010 8:46 pm    

I think Judy was mostly associated with the Nevada show circuit but did have some good records out at times. One of my ex lady friend singers used to do one of her tunes called "She's Just an Antique in my Closet" or something like that. I think Bobby Hicks who played fiddle for Ricky Skaggs worked for her at one point.......JH in Va.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2010 8:57 pm    

I used to enjoy watching her TV show. Haven't heard anything about her in recent years, until now. Sad

Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2010 9:45 pm    

My friend Dave Musgrave will be sad to hear this news since he worked for her for a while. I saw her show briefly once in Reno {then wife , now ex , wanted to leave} and one thing that impressed me SOOO much was how she dressed her band. They looked like a million bucks. Their guitar straps....anybody remmember them ? They must have been 8 feet long , started at the back strap button , came over the back and shoulders , went under the neck and over the bout {holding the guitar very close to the body} and terminated on the same strap button it started on. Looked different but I'll bet it worked very well. Also , as I recall , she had a large band and they had very good and very tight arrangements.

Myron Smith

Canton, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2010 4:22 am     Judy

I played steel for Judy back in the mid 70s. She was a wonderful person to work for. Yes it was a big band back then with players like Bobby Hicks, Kelly Jones was the band leader. Yeah we wore the Nudie suits, with Tony Lama Boots to match. Fun times for sure. I just played a little show a couple weeks ago, & Bobby was there, & he played with us. He still is one of the finest players. We had a real good visit talking about Judy & the Vegas days. Sure will miss her, But know she is with our Lord. RIP Will play together again one day.

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2010 6:00 am    

There was a lady that was pure class. No doubt about it. I never got to work with her, but always admired the way she and her band presented a show with 110% professional class. You young twirps who think it's soooo cool to be on stage in front of millions of people in torn jeans, dirty shirts and looking like you just crawled out of a back alley dumpster should take a look at how real professional artists present themselves. RIP Miss Judy.

Jimmy Youngblood

Post  Posted 29 May 2010 5:48 pm    

Judy played Reno/Sparks quite a bit.

She always had a talented band that dressed very nice.

R.I.P. Judy Lynn. You will be missed.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2010 6:11 pm    

My deepest condolences to her family and friends.

Didn't Gene O'Neal play in her band for a number of years? Seems like he mentioned it a time or two.

www.BuddyEmmons.com

Gary Harris

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2010 1:31 pm     Judy

I seem to remember that Judy, Less Paul and Mary Ford were on the first televised show at the Opry.
Kelso Herston gave me a couple of her albums when he was with Capitol in Nashville. She was Miss Idaho at one time. I would have voted for her. I read that she left public singing in 1980.

Alan Coldiron

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2010 4:29 am    

One of my favorite gospel albums is one she did in the late 70s. She has an incredible version of Family Bible which I think is one of the best versions I have ever heard. A little over produced but still really good.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2010 9:27 am    

I have some audio of Judy when she was a guest on our TV show, but I have failed to bring it up to play here. I'll keep working on it.

Last edited by Gene Jones on 23 Jul 2010 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total

Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2010 10:26 pm     Rip

Sad news for sure. It seems to me Donnie Buzzard played for her a short time? Any one know for sure?
Rest in Pease Judy.
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.

Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 1:07 pm    

Bruce Brooks worked with her a while also in the late 70 or early 80's.

James Wallace

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 10:41 pm     Judy Lynn

I played lead guitar for Judy Lynn in 1972. I was with the band for about a year. Tanya Tucker did a few shows with us back then. She was 15 years old. Judy was one of the greatest people I ever met. I just talked to her a couple of years ago. She seemed to be doing well then. Kelly Jones was the band leader and a great guy, not to mention of the best fiddle players anywhere. We worked several times at Harrah's in Lake Tahoe and in Reno. We also played the Flamingo and Stardust in Las Vegas. The "lounge days" were sure a lot of fun. She will be missed by all who knew her. By the way a young kid "Mike Stanton" played steel with us. I believe he was from the Seattle area.

Larry Kinner

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2010 8:29 am    

I just found out the other day after Judy Lynn passed away that she had recorded one of my dad's songs back in 1962. She was at the Golden Nugget in Vegas.

Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 10:18 am    

I never met Judy, but sometime in 1977, (cold weather), I was working a Fair Board Showcase in Fargo ND with the Clay & Vicky Campbell Show. The Judy Lynn Show, along with many other acts, was also there. I don't know how they tracked me down, but the next day, I received a phone call at my motel room from Judy's stage manager, asking if I would be interested in a job with Judy. He said her steel player was soon leaving the group, but if interested, they would need an audition from me asap. We settled on meeting up at my parents small house in Missouri the following weekend as they traveled through to their next job. Long story short, I failed to meet their standard of talent, but it was super exciting experience for me to do the audition. Dad's little living room was absolutely filled up with band personel, and those guys were knocked out players. I knew real fast that I was in way-over my head. They needed someone fast, that could play the material without much time invested. I always wondered what I missed out on and how that night could have changed my life. D.D.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2010 10:36 am    

Here is a clip with Judy from one of our television shows.

http://genejones.com/bobby_barnett1.htm

Last edited by Gene Jones on 23 Jul 2010 10:41 am; edited 3 times in total

Paul Foster

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2010 6:07 am     David Rogers

One of my dearest friends, David Rogers played for judy for quite some time I believe he started in the mid 60,s, at the time he did not have a guitar and I had a Brand New Martin D-18 and a mutual friend Paul Adams asked me if I would let David take it and that he would pay me when he got his first check from Judy, I had never met david but I let him take the martin and sure enough I had my money in about a month.
This was in 1960, go forward for about 40 years Paul Adams says to me, you will never guess who I ran into, David Rogers!! I finally met him and we became the greatest of friends and started playing music togather, I am a bass player { Woprked for Waylon in the mid 60,s} we remained like brothers until his passing a few years ago, if any of you knew david I would love to hear from you, I have a few songs that dave put on tape at my home , I live in payson arizona , my e-mail is navion@q.com and phone is 928-474-0355 would love to hear from you Paul

Bruce W Heffner

Payson, Arizona
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2010 4:00 pm     Hi Paul

Paul, I see you are on the forum. Folks, Paul is a killer singer and bass player. I have played several gigs with him during my trips to my vacation home in Payson and always look forward to his music.

Sincerely,

Bruce W

"We live in Arizona now."

Payson, AZ

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2010 7:08 am    

Sad news,

Yes to your question Ernie, the late Gene O'Neal did work for her a number years before his time with Charley Pride and others.

We just spent the night in Dumas, Texas, Gene O'Neal's home area early this week. We were out west on a trip to Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma.

Also, I am pretty certain our friend Bobbe Seymour worked with her as well.

She was a great singer and entertainer!

Prayers for her family.

Terry Wood

Lee Gillespie

Cheyenne, Wy. USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2010 4:26 pm     Judy Lynn

Yes Donnie Buzzard did play with Judy for a short time. Donnie was one of my students (started when he was about 14). Judys band members heard Donnie playing at one of our local clubs and liked what they heard. Donnie quit because Judy made him wear boot on the bandstand.. and he claimed he could not play with boots on.. I heard he would wear the boots off stage but would take them off before playing... which Judy didnt like.. sooo he quit and came back to Cheyenne for a while. Lee