The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Moon and Merle
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 11:02 am    

Just trying to get my history straight. Smile

Which Merle records did Ralph play on before Norm took over? I know he did Swinging Doors. The internet says he played on Lonesome Fugitive as well. Is that it? Or true?

Thanks!

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 11:43 am    

I know virtually nothing about Haggard, but my primary source shows Ralph on many dozens of songs from as early as October 1963 to as late as Feb 1969.

Hamlet earliest session September 1967.

Mooney on Swinging Doors.

Lonesome Fugitive:

My source shows Mooney on a March 2, 1966 version that was NOT issued at the time. It apparently surfaced much later on Bear Family reissues.

My source shows the following for what I assume is the well known version of "Lonesome Fugitive". Note Burton and Campbell but no steel.

I don't know the song well enough to recall if there is any steel on the hit version.

1 August 1966 [no. 14012, 19:00-22:00] Capitol Recording Studio, 1750 North Vine St., Hollywood, CA

Merle Haggard (James Burton [gt], Glen Campbell [gt], Lewis Talley [gt], Howard Lowe [bass], James Gordon [drums], Glen Hardin [piano], Bonnie Owens [hmny vcl]. Producer: Ken Nelson and Fuzzy Owen) [overdub session Dec. 12: Glen Campbell and Bonnie Owens [hmny vcl]]

050 56364-14 MIXED UP MESS OF A HEART ST 2702 BCD-15744
051 56365-18 I'M A LONESOME FUGITIVE 5803 6144/ST 2702 SKAO-2951 7-93191-2 8-33838-2 BCD-15744

I can't vouch for any of this.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 12:49 pm    

Pure Merle; pure heartache.
Pure Moon; pure bliss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svnj7ckfB0c

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 1:13 pm    

Mitch Drumm wrote:
...my primary source...My source...My source...

Why all the mystery? Your source is Praguefrank's Country Discography. Why not just share that? Here it is, the page with the studio logs from Merle's early sessions:
http://countrydiscoghraphy2.blogspot.com/2017/01/merle-haggard-part-1.html.

There are a few other steel players listed on some sessions before Norm, Leon Copeland, Howard Lowe, Lewis Talley.

There was a nice forum post from Norm in 2009 responding to another post about this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PCL9W54QVw. I guess the vid is from around '68
norm hamlet wrote:
Yes it is me when I was a lot younger. And thanks for the good words about me. When I went to work with Merle I had a triple neck 10 string Wright custom with nine pedals, no knee levers at that time. It was too heavy to take on the road and carry in and out. I had a Fender 1000 at home that was a lot lighter and I had to set it up so I could try to play the things that Ralph Mooney did on Merles first albums. So I set it up with the E9th on the back neck and a A6th on the front neck. The reason for that is because I needed to see the pedals to do the things I had to do. AT the time Merle wanted me to sound as much like Mooney as I could because of the first records. I am not saying I sounded just like him, but came close for Merle`s ear. After that tour when we done the video I got a ZB from Zane Beck, a double 11 with 8 pedals and 5 knee levers. The guitar had been one of his personal guitars and he had to change some of the set up on E9th for me and the other neck had a C6th set up. It would have taken him to long to change the C6th over to A6th so I told him I would take it like that.
Thanks for the interest on the Youtube video, that was some good times with my good friend Roy Nichols he was one of the best. He passed away a few years ago and we all sure miss him. I have been blessed to work with one of the best singers in the world. And to work for 42years with him has been a pleasure.
Thanks again to all of my steel guitar friends.
Norm Hamlet

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 1:17 pm    

Hey Dave, did you get the package I sent you a while back?

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 1:38 pm    

I was out of town on vacation last week. I got the notice and need to pick it up at the post office.....I wasn't expecting anything! It's a surprise! Very Happy

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 8:37 pm    

one of my favorites
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00mWL3RIEgM

Marty Stuart tells a great story of how Ralph's intro lick was inspired by the sound of a spring in his car, and how he and Roy drove around just to listen to it and come up with something based on what they heard. what a couple of mad geniuses!