The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Index to Mickey Adams's YouTube video lessons
David Fields

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2010 7:48 am    

Thanks John and Richard for all your help.
Steel Gutiar Forumis awesome because of guys like you.

David

John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2010 12:59 pm    

TTT

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 May 2010 4:00 pm    

How ironic ... at the time my electricity was cut off a couple of weeks ago, I happened to be right in the middle of working on exactly the same sort of index, but in MS Excel with the video designation number (such as, BEC69 for example) in the first column, the title in the second column and the actual URL in the third column but with each item in each column being an active link so that if you clicked on the title or URL it would open that video as long as you're online at the time you have the Excel document open. I was nearly halfway through the list when my electric was shut off.

My plan was to create an Excel sheet with multiple tabs ... each tab being for a different steel player who has YouTube videos as a quick reference listing so that, for example, you could click on Mickey Adams' tab on the sheet and have this listing pop up or, say you wanted to see all the Tony Browne videos, you'd click on his tab and the same sort of listing for his videos would be displayed, etc. The finished document would have a tab for each steeler that has multiple videos on YouTube (the first tab position being reserved for Mickey's videos).

This is excellent work here and it's really cool to see that others have had the same sort of idea ... but, now that I see this list already done for Mickey's videos, I'm not sure if I should go ahead and finish my multiple tabbed Excel sheet or scratch the project.
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 May 2010 4:52 pm    

I would like to add other peoples INSTRUCTIONAL videos as well. Performance videos I won't do. I want to get the information that players need to learn or better themselves on the instrument. Not to say that watching someone play doesn't help a player. Back when I was first learning, watching others play was pretty much the way to learn. I learned how to play "Look At US" as an instrumental by watching John Hughey on a You Tube video. Maybe I could change my mind on the performance videos.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2010 4:58 pm    

Jim, I think your project has merit also. It would be a great study aide for any player. I think there's room for all new ideas.

YouTube is a big place and your Excel project would pull together many of the other valuable resources...and maybe vids that some of us don't even realize are available.

Please continue. I, for one, look forward to seeing it.

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 8 May 2010 8:08 pm    

Thanks, Guys ...
I will go ahead and finish my Excel sheet. Here's a quick screen shot of my Excel sheet (as it was when my project was interrupted by my power interruption) ... it's a very simple "workbook", but could be handy when finished.

My monitor is pretty small, so I don't know how well this is going to show up, but here's what it looks like so far. As you can see, arrow 1 shows there are two tabs for Mickey Adams ... one listed as "Mickey Adams INST" and the other as "Mickey Adams ENT". This is to keep his instruction video listing separate from the performance/entertainment videos and the default color I'm using for these tabs is, respectively, red for INST and melon for ENT.

Those whose videos are only performance/entertainment, such as arrow 2 indicates for myself, Gary Hogue and Junior Knight, have only one tab and the default tab color for those is green.

Each time I complete the tab(s) for a particular steeler, I'll create a new one for the next steel player and continue to add listings. My initial intent is to create tabs only for steel players that have at least 25 or more videos.
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 9 May 2010 6:22 am    

any chance this thread could be made a "sticky" ?

John Scanlon

Post  Posted 10 May 2010 8:00 am    

Jim,

My list has active hyperlinks, but just in Word instead of Excel. Same effect, though - if you're online and viewing the list, all you have to do is click on a title and it pops up to play in your browser. I have had dozens of requests for it and I have sent it to each requester. You, too, are welcome to it - if you're not done with your Mickey "INSTR" tab, I imagine it would save you some work on your project.

After copying my list and posting it to begin this thread, I realized the hyperlinks don't remain active on this forum like they do in other web apps.

At that point, though, I just didn't want to go back and mess with making every one of those links active. That's when Richard stepped in and took over.

So the John/Richard index list is active on this thread now, and in my Word doc. Let me know if you still want it.

Last edited by John Scanlon on 8 Jan 2024 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 10 May 2010 8:27 am    

Thank you, John ... having the finished Word document would save some time in finishing up my "Mickey" portion of the Excel sheet. All I'd have to do is import that data into my sheet, or to make it easier, I could simply embed the Word document in the Mickey INST tab of my sheet and call that portion of it done. My email is jim.lindsey54@yahoo.com if you'd like to send it.

I also toyed with the idea of creating a .PDF file but as I only have Acrobat Reader and not Acrobat Pro I wouldn't be able to do that and, after looking at the price of Acrobat Pro in the Adobe web site, I think it'll be a long time before I'm able to get that program. So far the cheapest I've been able to find it for is $113 at eSoftware.com and that's way beyond what I can afford in my present situation.

I downloaded the supposed fully function free trial of Acrobat 9 Pro, but it acts only like Acrobat Reader ... when I try to create an editable .PDF file it hits me with a message stating that to use that function I must purchase the program and receive a registration key to unlock it. Seems it's not so fully functional during the trial period as the advertising leads one to believe. Shocked

After seeing that I wouldn't be able to put a .PDF file together, that's when I decided to just go with an Excel document ... not as classy looking as a .PDF could have been, but serves the same function.

I, too, have had many requests for it and when I first started working on it back in January, I didn't realize Mickey had so many videos ... my dilemma has been finding the time to sit and go to each video and capture the URL (I've been so busy job hunting that I've kind of let my project slide, then just as I started seriously working on it again my electricity was shut of for a couple of weeks and that was another delay).

I think it's pretty cool to find that there's two or three of us simultaneously working on virtually the same project. I think it's a good indicator that a list like this will be a helpful tool for people.

Likewise, if you'd like a copy of my Excel sheet when it's completed, I'd be happy to send it. Smile

John Scanlon

Post  Posted 10 May 2010 1:26 pm    

Email sent. Hope times improve for you on the job hunt.

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 10 May 2010 1:35 pm    

Thanks, John. Smile

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 10 May 2010 5:41 pm    

Jim,

I already have it created as a PDF file if you want it. My reason for wanting the info "parked" someplace where people can just download the document with active links, is so we (you, John and I) don't have to answer hundreds of emails to send files to individuals. Having it in PDF, Word and Excel file formats should allow almost everyone to get a copy they can open. Not everyone has Excel or Word (although most good word processors will open a Word file, but you may lose the hyperlinks in the conversion). And, not everyone has Acrobat reader, even though it is free.

And, there is the option of making this post a sticky, but someone needs permission to edit it to keep it up to date. I would hate to have to lay that on the already overworked moderators. They have it tough trying to keep us all in line.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 12 May 2010 10:23 pm     Help - I am confused

John Scanlon, or anyone else who has his word file.

When you click on a link in John's document, does it play the video? When I do it, it opens Internet Explorer, goes to You Tube, and gives me an error in the player screen that "an error has occurred. Please try again later". I click the same links in my PDF and they play. I hit ctrl-click, as Word prompts me to and even right click and select "open hyperlink" with the same results every time. I don't see anything wrong in his Word document. What am I missing?

I am going to post a web page with the documents to download in the next few days.

EDIT: More info. I can click on "Edit Hyperlink" and the dialog box comes up that has all the information John entered. I can copy and paste the hyperlink in my browser, and it plays, so the actual web address for the video is not the problem.

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 12 May 2010 11:03 pm    

Richard, try this option: In Word, goto Tools, Options and then under the Edit tab uncheck the box that says "Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlink"

This will allow you to just mouse over the hyperlinks and click on them rather than having to use the Control key plus clicking. I use this and it always works ... all the links in the Word document are working fine.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 12 May 2010 11:51 pm    

I did that too, still doesn't work. I still have the original that John sent me and it doesn't work for me. When I did the conversions to work on the forum, I made a copy of his file to work with so nothing would happen to my original. I'm using Word 2007, but it should work even if John used an earlier version of Word. I think I'll have him email another copy just to make sure.

Dale Bessant

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 14 May 2010 3:37 am    

BUMP>>>>

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 15 May 2010 9:28 am    

Hi guys, just a quick update here ... I thought that I'd have the Excel sheet finished by now, but every time I start working on it I get interrupted. Sad It's almost like the cursed sword of Damocles is hanging over my head and ready to drop on me every time I sit down to work on it lately. Shocked

For those who're waiting on a copy of it, I apologize for the delay in getting it done. As soon as my schedule lightens up a bit where I can sit down and finish it, I promise I'll do so at the earliest opportunity and get it sent out to those who're waiting. Smile

Richard, if you're still having an issue with opening the links from the Word document, there's a chance that it might be a browser security issue. A friend of mine was having the same issues you described opening links from a Word document in IE.

He could open the links in Opera when he set that one as his default browser, but could not open them in IE (which is the browser he prefers) when he set it as his default browser. I compared the two browser configuration settings and noticed that the security levels in his Opera browser were set to mid-low while the security levels in his IE browser to set to high and were maxed out. On a gut feeling, I matched his IE security settings to the Opera settings and it cured the problem for him.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 15 May 2010 11:24 am    

Thanks Jim. Every time I click on the Word link, it automatically opens Windows Exploder. I will change my default browser and give it a shot. It's interesting that even though I had other browsers open at the time, it still opened IE.

EDIT:
That did the trick Jim. Funny thing though, I went through and made all 5 browsers I have installed (I have them to test websites I build on all major browsers) the default browser (1 at a time of course), and they all worked. I went back and made IE my default after trying the others, and now the links work in IE. I prefer Chrome, but some websites I have visited say that it is not compatible with Chrome. Have had the same experience with Safari and Opera.

John Scanlon

Post  Posted 18 May 2010 6:53 am    

Sorry, been out of town for about a week and away from computer. This is probably obvious, but my file works fine for me. Yes, when using M.Word, I utilize cntrl-click. My home computer is an Intel iMac, though, and the word processor I use there ("Pages" in the iWork package) requires only a click. Pages can both read and create M.Word docs. I use FF as my default browser, btw, and clicking on a hyperlink always takes me there.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 18 May 2010 11:11 pm    

I've got the files up on my website (see below) for download. I'll get Bob to do some kind of sticky (if he's willing) and post a direct link on his links page, so you don't have to go through my website if you don't want to.

John Scanlon

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2010 7:53 am     new vid 6-1-10

Most recent MA vid:

BEC-114 -3 Minutes at a Time Intro-Gene Watson.mpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jHDlG6P85Q

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2010 2:18 pm    

Thanks John.

Web page documents have been updated.

Again, if anyone else has YouTube instruction videos that you would like to have posted in the same way as we have done for Mickey, just send me the links and what you would like it titled, and send to me. I will make a Word document and a PDF file for you. This is just my little way of giving something back to the Steel Guitar community.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2010 3:38 am    

GREAT thread. Mickeys videos are the bomb ! Just realized Lonesome LA cowboy is on here which I am going to learn tonite. TTT !!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2010 8:00 am    

I've moved this to "Steel on the Web" and made it a sticky so that it doesn't have to be bumped all the time.

John Scanlon

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2010 3:53 pm     3 more M.Adams vids

BEC116a-Thats Where My Baby Feels at Home-Solo.mpg
BEC-116- Im a Little More Country Than That.mpg
BEC-115 Thats Where My Baby Feels At Home, Intro-George Strait.mpg