The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wrong Key (Chords)
Justin B. French

Virginia Beach, VA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 3:37 pm    

I have been using BIAB for a few years and suddenly today I have a Key problem. The chords don't match the key I have chosen in the key signature box. The key is actually 3 tones down from what I choose. For instance if I select the key of F then the chords are all for the key of D. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Thanks, Justin Crying or Very sad
DigiTech RP-100,
Peterson VS-II

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 6:02 pm    

Justin, this is an easy fix. click on the key menu button and choose the correct key for the chords than are shown, then when the next window pops and asks "Ok to transpose worksheet" choose no. this will change the key signature without changing the chords. Now you should have the right key with the right chords. Smile

Justin B. French

Virginia Beach, VA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 7:24 pm     Wrong Key (Chords)

I thought that might solve it. I got the Key and the chords together but when it plays it is still 3 tones from where it should be. The song should be in G, the chords are in E, I changed the Key to E so the Key and chords are both in E. When it plays it plays in G. I changed the Key to G and everything changed to G but it plays in Bb, 3 tones above G.
I have no idea what to do except reload BIAB. I hate to do that because of all the files I have in it.
Thanks, Jud

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 7:46 pm    

Justin,try going to options,then return to factory settings..This usally fixes most problems.If that doesn't work contact pg music..They always help.

Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 7:48 pm    

When you click on a different key and the window pops up and asks "Ok To change worksheet" did you choose "NO"? If you choose "yes" it will change the chords and the key. You have to choose "no" and it will only change the key signature without changing the chords. Then once it's set up right with the correct chords and key you can change it to the key you want and it will change the chords accordingly.

Justin B. French

Virginia Beach, VA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 5:36 am     Wrong Key

Thanks Papa Joe & Andy for your help. You guys are life savers. The return to Factory Settings did the trick. Andy, i got the Key and chords to match and I could change the key and the chords would match it but was still 3 tones off from what it showed. Anyway, going back to factory settings fixed the problem. Again, thanks to you both. Justin

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 5:43 am    

BAIB has a setting that adjusts the note to play off of the key signature. This is to let things like Bb trumpets to transpose off of concert key. I used this all the time when I was playing trumpet full time. When I play trumpet in C, it is really Bb concert pitch.

You probably made the adjustment without realizing it.

Justin B. French

Virginia Beach, VA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 6:23 am    

Hey Bill, I'm sure you are right on that, I clicked on something I shouldn't have. Another case of PILOT ERROR! At least I know how to fix it now. Thanks for your comment. Jud

Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 10:56 am    

Alrighty then. Smile