The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Kline D-10 8 lever + 9 pedals $4000 plus shipping/insured
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 7:49 am    

Excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition built like a tank includes case. Notice that it is a Day setup on E9 and that pedal 5 and 9 have been interchanged on C6th. (See Copedant).

Pick-ups are single coil as shown in the fourth photo, not the BL shown in the first photo. I can tell from the small, blue animal carpet which is in our home. and next to this Kline photo.

Serial #3964 makes it the 12th that Joe Kline built not counting the prototype. He states this here:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=280071&highlight=joe+kline

There are very few Kline D-10s out there as far as I've seen from Forum posts and this one is loaded.. $4000 plus shipping and insurance I had this listed too cheap so it is back tothe original price. BANk CASHIERS CHEQUE but I willl accept PERSONAL CHECKS from long-time Forum members I know well. I CAN PERSONALLY SHIP this July 10th when I return to the USA.

Copedant

Last edited by steve takacs on 16 Jun 2018 2:45 pm; edited 46 times in total

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 9:24 pm    

I'm drooling, Steve, these Klines are awesome!

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2010 7:46 pm    

I've always played U-12s, but this baby has been haunting my dreams...and these hardly ever show up for sale!

Someone PLEASE grab it!!..and put me out of my poor-man's misery!!!

steve takacs

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2010 9:09 pm     Age of Kline

John and Mike, Thanks, for the positive comments about this Kline. I'm trying to find out how many
D-10s Joe Kline made and exactly how old this guitar is. I would not even be considering selling it if I did no have my eye on another Steel. stevet

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2010 10:55 pm    

Well, that must be one heck of a guitar to be letting this one go to get it. Good luck with the sale.

Terry Watts

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2010 7:51 am     Kline for sale

I have the first Kline steel ever sold and I love it. I would never part with it. I'd get rid of the wife first! The serial number is Joe and Opal's address at the time. I believe I bought it back in 1975, and it is black just like this one here. My wife found a Kline on the internet a few years ago and bought it. Everyone said it could not be done! I will have to get on the horn and contact a couple of buddies that I know who want a Kline. Good luck with the sale.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2010 12:12 pm    

Boy, I wish you were looking to trade. Sad

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2010 12:31 pm     Kline

That D-10 sure looks great.
Anybody interested in a Kline S-U-12? Please feel free to contact me.
widcj@hotmail.com

Roy Lucas

Northern Ireland
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2010 2:38 pm    

interested in purchase off your steel but live in uk.

Gary R Brown

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2010 12:29 am    

Very Interested please advise price etc Thanks

Michael McNeill

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2010 8:50 am     Kline Pedal Steel

Hi Guys,

I am going to tip my hand here and tell you up front how uninformed I am about Kline Steels.

I have been playing Pedal Steel Guitar for a long time. There was a store in East Baltimore named "Petros" where wanna be steelers hung out and traded licks and lies and argued the superiority of Sho-Bud vs MSA Steels (those 2 manufacturers and Marlen was it).

We would bring in stomp boxes to show each other, show tricks learned on a echo-plex. hook a fuzz up to a Leslie and play Gimme Some Lovin like Stevie Winwood (right). Just hang out and try to learn new stuff because none of us had any money. I miss those days. (Not the being BROKE Part but the camaraderie and urge to learn all you could)

I always look at adds and threads in an effort to keep abreast of what equipment is out there. If not for this FORUM I would not know about Promat, Rittenbury, Franklin,GFI, ZUM, Jimmy Crawford - JCM, Desert Rose..........on and on.

From your all's reaction to this D-10 Kline add, I am getting the impression that this is a step up from your father's Oahu. Is Kline considered a high end Professional Quality Instrument?

Can you tell me a little about what makes Kline stand out from the rest of the choices we are lucky enough to have today?

Think about all the choices we have today as opposed to 35 years ago. It's a good time to be a Steel Player.

Have a great day

Phil Ajjarapu

Portland, via Austin, TX via Chicago
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2010 9:38 am    

Winnie Winston loved his.

http://julianwinston.com/music/the_kline_guitar.php

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2010 2:57 pm    

WOW !!....A D-10 Kline !!.....I'm so use to seeing U-12 Klines like the one I own....Kline pedal steels are truely one of a kind instruments ....They're pretty much set'em, and forget'em !!....They hold their tuning as well as an old Emmons P/P and they sound great too !!.... Add that to the fact that Steve is a great guy to do business with , and you have a winning combination here guys and gals ...Jim

PS...Steve , I hope all is well with you.... I haven't had a chance to drop you a line or two, but will soon !!.....Jim

steve takacs

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2010 3:28 pm     Decided To Keep The Kline

I want to thank you guys for reminding me what a special pedal steel guitar this is. Being well aware that there are a bundle of superb guitars out there, I would never pull a Muhammad Ali and claim that this one is "the greatest" Though I wanted to trade for an outstanding lacquer D-10, I could not pull the trigger on this sale. So thank you guys for helping me to come to my senses.

Thanks also to those for expressing an interest in buying the Kline and good luck with the search. I'm still trying to find out how many D-10s Joe built, but since he's gone undercover the past couple years, it's not been easy. I have a secret agent on the case and will post if I get new information.

I know that Joe has gone on with his life but, I sure wish he'd come out, on a part time basis, to continue making these unique and finely engineered (and for some of us, aesthetically pleasing) steels. Joe, if you are listening, please give it a thought.

James, thanks, for asking about me. I'm well and hope you have continued to recover. Expect an email update soon. steve t

steve takacs

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2013 9:43 am     Kline back on Market PRICE DROPP

Hate to sell it but we are moving to a smaller home so I have been informed a that a few steels have to migrate elsewhere. I'm hoping some of my others sell so the Governor grants this one a reprieve. The Kline is now $3700 . plus shipping. Thx, steve t

Last edited by steve takacs on 11 Jun 2018 5:06 pm; edited 7 times in total

Gavin Dunn

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 4:55 pm    

I rarely post, but anytime I see a Kline up here I can't help but mention that these are some of the best, most reliable, smooth guitars built. I will never even think about another guitar since I have my lacquered extended E9. Joe was a real innovator.

steve takacs

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 6:52 am     Thanks for input, Gavin

Gavin, thanks for taking the time to weigh in on the merits of the Kline steels. I think unless a person has played one, he would have a hard time understanding how good they really are. Many players are not enamored of keyless but I find them fine in terms of sound, playability and definitely being able to quickly changing strings. Thanks agian, stevet

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2013 10:58 am    

Another Kline endorsement. When they were built, they were the best and most advanced design on the market. Smooth playing, and really terrific tone. Like ZB tone without the claptrap undercarriage. Highly under-rated, imho.

Steve, how's the cabinet drop on this Kline?

steve takacs

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 5:40 am     Price drop on Kline

Back up to $4000 plus shipping/insurance and will keep it the post open until July 24 as I head back to the USA late June, 2018. John I have not measured the cabinet drop but it is negligible, at least to my ears. Thanks for looking steve t

Last edited by steve takacs on 16 Jun 2018 2:48 pm; edited 6 times in total

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 6:37 pm     Price drop question

Uh Steve you said you are dropping the price, but the original price was $3,825.00 new price drop is now $3,875.00 how is this a price drop? this is an increase in price, just thought I would let you know.

steve takacs

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2013 7:07 am     oriignal price was over $4200

Hi,Steven: thanks for your comment but the original price was originally over $4200 and was dropped to $3900 as can be seen in the first thread. stevet

Last edited by steve takacs on 3 May 2018 12:51 pm; edited 3 times in total

steve takacs

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2013 7:11 pm     still available

To Michael McNeil who asked about the Kline steel,
Go to,this site for photos and explanation by a
Former player

http://julianwinston.com/music/the_kline_guitar.php

Thanks stevet

Last edited by steve takacs on 3 May 2018 1:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2013 1:09 am    

Drop it down to $20.00 and you have a sale. Laughing

steve takacs

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2013 10:31 am     rods set aside

Mr. Skinkler, please send $20 and I will set aside two Kline rods for you and we can do a "pay as you go plan". How does that sound? Smile steve t

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2013 9:05 pm    

As long as you arrange a personal delivery. By the way, played a gig last night for an alumni association for a Taiwanese University. I was going nuts looking at all the beautiful Chinese women (at least 100 of them in a crowd of maybe 400 - 500).

Sorry for the hijack, but I assure you, Steve will appreciate this.