The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any More Buddy Emmons Surprises?
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2010 11:43 am    

First I learned that BE switched to Equal Temperament tuning. Now I've learned that BE stopped using finger picks, at least for awhile.

Is there anything else?

Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2010 12:02 pm    

Starting learning about what other players do. LIKE ME! Laughing Laughing Laughing Joe

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 11 Feb 2010 7:36 pm    

Buddy talks about split-tuning

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=166350&highlight=buddy+emmons

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 4:51 am    

Buddy is retired. That's not really surprising. What is surprising is that he said he's played about 30 minutes in the last two years. He's done his thing and has decided to stop playing. He's going to spend his time with friends and family, (or just putzing around the house,) not having to worry about keeping his chops up.

Of course, I'm saddened by his decision, but I respect his wishes. I'm sure he's given it a lot of thought.

He did say he would like to be able to attend some steel shows once in a while, but usually decides not to go because of all the people who wouldn't settle for him being there and not performing. He told me, "I'm a fan, too!" So if you happen to see him at a steel show, please don't ask him to set in. Thanks for your kindness and understanding.

Buddy, if you happen to read this, "You're the Greatest Ever, My Friend!"

Now... A quick clip to make you smile: CLICK HERE!

At Buddy's home, the night of his birthday, 1-27-10.

<CENTER></CENTER>

www.BuddyEmmons.com

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 4:59 am    

Hello Ernie;
THANK YOU for the info & update. I know many,many folks on here have been wondering what Buddy was going to do. Sadly, I do understand & hopefully everyone will respect his wishes. He has set the bar very very high ( so to speak ). There
are many great players out there but it will be a long long time before anyone can touch him IMHO.
Thanks again for the update.. Ron

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 7:07 am     psg

The greatest of all times! The Big E.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 7:29 am    

Buddy has more chops in retirement than 99.9% of us will ever have in our lifetime. I pray that he enjoys retirement and does the things that bring him the most joy. He has without a doubt given the world the best of himself and and set the standard for all others to strive for. Thanks, Buddy.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 8:12 am     Re: Any More Buddy Emmons Surprises?

Paul Sutherland wrote:
First I learned that BE switched to Equal Temperament tuning. Now I've learned that BE stopped using finger picks, at least for awhile.

Is there anything else?
Maybe BE switched from Charmin to Cottonelle ! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm glad Buddy is enjoying retirement. I thank him for the constant inspiration.If I knew he was watching me play....I would probably have a mess in my pants.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 8:28 am    

Retirement....... A GREAT time to write a BOOK! Or maybe volumes and combine that with his love of photography....... (we like pictures)

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 9:15 am    

Hard to imagine that Buddy Emmons isn't playing any more steel, he's been a constant for a long time. If anybody is/was the greatest ever, whatever that means, it has to be Buddy Emmons, for so many reasons.
Sure would be great if he would put out a comprehensive method of pedal steel guitar, covering what it takes to be a good steel player. How to practice, warm up, etc, etc. Kind of a summing up of everything he's learned, in one place. Would be a huge undertaking of course. Perhaps in conjunction with another person who could do a lot of the the 'drudge' work. I would love that.
Emmons, the greatest ever!...Jerry

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 11:43 am    

Kind of sad, but if that is how it is, I hope Mr.Emmons is happy. I'll never forget when I listenend to the record by Dewey Martin's Medicine Ball in '71 and I read his name on the credits and then on so many more other albums. He made me love this instrument.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 12:05 pm    

We all love and respect the man's contributions to our instrument and our art, no lie.

Now is the time to love and respect the MAN by not asking of him or suggesting to him what WE want, and somewhat selfishly, IMHO; rather we should respect and not discount the man's wishes to do what he pleases.

If he wants to continue with his music at some later point in time, he will. If not, that's okay with me... he's done plenty enough. I just thank him for the music, the information, and the friendship.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 12:57 pm    

There was once a great Jazz musician who retired from playing music and decided to do nothing but go fishing. He was asked, "Do you miss playing music?" And he responded by saying, "The reason I worked so hard all my life playing music was so that I could retire and spend the rest of my life fishing."

Buddy played more music in a year's time than many of us play in a decade. He has my ultimate respect and the lesson I'm learning from him is that life is not all about music, no matter who you are.

God bless you, Buddy.

Cliff Trent

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 2:21 pm     things

There are many things that Buddy has that nobody can teach or write down. Touch,feeling, love, and attitude. We love you Buddy!!!

Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 5:19 pm    

Every intro, solo, and ending that Buddy has ever played is a lesson in and of itself. He has shared a tremendous body of work with all of us; it's there to enjoy, to learn from and maybe get something useful of our own from.

Buddy's retirement time is HIS time, to enjoy as he wishes. He's already shared over half a century of his time with us.

Buddy, throw the alarm clock out the window and kick back, dude.

Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 6:08 pm    

WOW!! Shocked

Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 6:13 pm    

Happy Birthday Mr Emmons,Thank you for sharing your music and life with us .Best wishes always.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2010 7:53 am    

Buddy,
You've given the steel world so much to reflect on and learn from. I appreciate and thank you so much for that! You are the "GREATEST" in my book. I'd like to wish you the best of luck and health in all your future endeavors from the bottom of my heart. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Respectfully,
John De Maille VP-PSGA

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2010 10:27 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
We all love and respect the man's contributions to our instrument and our art, no lie.

Now is the time to love and respect the MAN by not asking of him or suggesting to him what WE want, and somewhat selfishly, IMHO; rather we should respect and not discount the man's wishes to do what he pleases.

If he wants to continue with his music at some later point in time, he will. If not, that's okay with me... he's done plenty enough. I just thank him for the music, the information, and the friendship.

Herb said it.

Buddy doesn't owe the steel guitar community anything. He's given us more than we could ever imagine. We owe him the respect to live his life in the way he chooses.

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2010 6:08 am    

Kinda like my answer to people after playing dances since the late 50's - People ask, not that you have quit, are you going to go to dances -
That's kinda like a cab driver driving around town on his day off!! Wink

I respect Buddy's decision and wish him well - He has nothing left to prove - Has any other steel player been copied & respected for what he has done any more than him?????

Last edited by rpetersen on 15 Feb 2010 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2010 6:51 pm    

Ernie:

Thanks so much for you informational post regarding Buddy. And as many have stated above, he deserves to do whatever pleases him in his retirement. I too wish him happiness and well-being and want to thank him for the inspiration, the music and laughs along the way.

You're right, he is the Greatest.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2010 7:35 am    

The one thing that I've always noticed aside from his great playing is his smile and that makes me smile.

Happy Birthday Buddy

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2010 12:31 pm    

Buddy,
Although you've retired from playing I hope you'll find the time to chat with us now and then. We all get excited when you share your knowledge and experience. Best of luck to you and thanks for everything. The steel guitar world owes an immeasurable amount to you (and Jerry Byrd as well). Don

P.S. I know you're not young anymore and I have no idea what, if any, physical problems you are dealing with but I am compelled to pass on this tip... Look into the medicinal benefits of hemp oil. This is no joke. Good luck.

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2010 1:04 pm    

What inpressed me more than the GREAT musician he is was the man himself. Only met him one time years ago at a NAMN show in Atlanta. A friend and I were there,I saw this derby making it's way through the crowd,I knew it had to be him. I caught up expecting maybe a handshake and a howdy. He stopped and talked to us almost a half hour liked he had known us all his life,he was so humble and nice to us,that impressed me just as much as his GREAT playing. Hope he enjoys his retirement,he DESERVES it.

Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2010 1:23 pm    

I respect Mr. Emmons being retired and wish him many great days and many years of fun!

The said part is Buddy is like my Mama's biscuit's! None of the kids can make them like her so when she is gone, the biscutt's are as well! Crying or Very sad

Nobody can play steel like Buddy Emmon's so for me when he isn't playing, the biscuit's can't be made! Crying or Very sad

The pop in fresh just doesn't take the place of the "Real Thing"!! Cool

I listened to him sing on one of my albums the other day and it was great! "Bottle Baby Boogie" Cool

All the best Buddy!! Cool