The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for Ross Shafer
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 7:12 am    

I have a question about my Lamar S12, What are the 2 adjustment screws for? The 11 and 12 changers are not in line with the other 10. They are not in use as of now, maybe later. You had mentioned in another topic that you had did a mod on one you owned. Thanks, Bill

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 7:59 am    

Happy New Year Bill,

Apparently geezerhood has taken a toll on my memory, 'cuz, I can't remember what those front screws do. The ones on the back of the changer are for retaining the fingers to the changer and for adjusting the little helper springs that are in that bore. I messed with these a lot including different springs and the helper aspect was negligible at best. You can also remove the little springs in there and use them as split tuners.

The mod I did was on the 3rd string tuner and can be seen here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=306152&sid=e860e9baed8b49e39a2124832a49b906[url]
This completely eliminated the string breakage prob I had when putting on a new string.

Feel free to call if you have other questions you think I might be helpful with. You can find the number on the Sierra website.

stay safe ya'll!

Last edited by Ross Shafer on 4 Jan 2021 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 8:24 am    

Thanks for your help, and Happy New Year to you and yours, I read your post earlier and haven't had a problem changing strings till the last time, I'm going to make a piece to go into the second step on top of the changer when changing strings to see if that will help, I'll post results and pictures in a couple days.

Thanks again, Bill

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 8:39 am    

Okey Dokey....took a second cup-o-joe to get the synapses firing.

That front screw determines when the all pull scissor mech engages the string carrier (sled). If I recall correctly the piece that front screw goes through is the top portion of the scissors mech, which functions the same as most standard all pull mechs. You should be able to get 11 & 12 to line up using these screws.

i wonder what else I might remember today!

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 12:06 pm    

Hey Ross, it worked.
#1 cut a scrap piece of aluminum, .200X.250x what ever length S10/S12 neded, it fits, and blocks changer from moving when string is removed.
#2taped in place,moved over as needed
#3 put several layers of tape to keep down scratches. Also made a string holder to clamp on leg so I can sort, and arrange strings in order.

Piece is not exact, had to use a table saw and scrap alum. I did the 3rd G# first tuned right up no problems, did the rest with no problems.
Thanks again for the info on the Lamar. Bill

Ross, It worked !!!!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 12:20 pm    

Pardon the intrusion but FYI, Lamar Colvin is a member here and though he's not building any longer, he is still very helpful concerning his past guitars and a super great guy.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 1:07 pm    

Jerry, Ross had made a modification concerning the G# breaking when changed on his Lamar, I also was having that problem, that was the reason I contacted Ross. Don't know if it's the way the guitar is set up, or something else, also it was my understanding that Lamar had retired, and was no longer involved with the business. No disrespect to Mr. Lamar intended.

Bill

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 1:51 pm    

Oh no. I didn't mean to infer that was the case. It was just a tip in case you didn't know.

I know Ross has some experience and I'm glad that you were able to effect repairs to you satisfaction.