The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI Pedal Steels
Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2010 7:43 am    

I now own 3 GFIs: S-10, D-10 and U-12. Those of you who also own a GFI know what I'm talking about, but for those of you who have never owned one and are looking, I would strongly urge you to consider one. They play like a dream, sound great, lightweight, easy to work on, durable, relatively inexpensive, and best of all.. the support I get from Bob at GFI has been outstanding.

John Phinney

Long Beach California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2010 11:37 am    

I'm very happy with my GFI and Bob at GFI has always gone above and beyond my expectations for customer support.

Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2010 12:39 pm    

I love mine, I read about all the problems people have with other brands, and I am grateful I chose GFI. I put single coils in mine and man does it sing now.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2010 12:40 pm    

I play a GFI Ultra D-10 and it's a wonderful guitar! It's a 2004 model with eigh pedals and five knees, and it plays wonderfully and stays in tune very well. Love my GFI!

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2010 1:43 pm    

Is GFI's founder: Gene Fields, still with the Comapany ?

Joe Gretz

Washington, DC, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2010 2:09 pm     Gfi

Billy,

According the the GFI website, Gene recently built a shop in Michigan on land owned by the parents of his wife...so I'm going to guess "yes", he is still there. Check out the site, it's very cool! Cool You can find it in the "Links" section.

I too would like to sing the praises of these fine instruments! Smile I dearly love my SD10 Expo! It came 3x4, and I'm having Mr. Billy Cooper add a vertical knee this Friday!!! Smile Can't wait!!!

Great instruments! They look and sound beautiful, they're light compared with many other steels, but durable! A great combination for road work!

Did I mention that I LOVE mine?! Laughing

Joe

BTW: They're supposed to be really easy to work on. I wouldn't know, cause mine has never failed me!

Chuck Snider

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2010 2:49 pm    

I have a GFI U-12 and love it!!! I have had it for about a year and a half, and haven't had any problems at all. Only thing I've done is tried a TrueTone pickup in place of the stock E-66. To my ears, the TrueTone sounded better. Then I got curious about the Alumitone pickups and have replaced the TrueTone with an Alumitone. The difference is noticeable, but not like I found going from the E-66 to the TrueTone. However, to my ears, the Alumitone is the best of the three, especially when it comes to the lower (8 thru 12) strings, they seem to be much more pronounced. Back to the guitar itself, I am very happy I decided to get the GFI. As for their service, it is really difficult for me to say too much as I've not needed any real service! I haven't had any issues other than a couple of questions right after I got it. And even then Bob was very nice about answering my questions. But, I do feel that if I need them, they will be there for me!

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.

Rupert Kingston

Essex, UK
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2010 3:04 pm    

I've been playing psg for nearly 30 years & had my GFI Ultra D10 for three years now - I love it. For a state of the art machine it has an amazingly classic tone. The combination of silky smooth operation, bullit proof build, & comparative light weight makes it a winner. I acquired mine through Ted Nesbit (Rainbow Music, Northern Ireland)who did me a great deal, & personally collected the guitar from the factory. For anybody this side of the pond Ted is a wonderful guy to deal with. Let's not forget if GFI are ok for Ralph Mooney, they're probably ok for the rest of us!!

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2010 5:04 pm    

I had the 2nd pro model that GFI made and foolishly sold it. I then had a U-12 and an Ultra D-10. I managed to find the 8th pro model GFI made and I am happy again!

The GFI's are one of the best steels around, but the original models have better tone and sustain to me. I've compared 2 Ultra models with the original models and there is a substancial amount of difference. They were not the lightweight models of today and the undercarriage was different.

Tor Arve Baroy

Norway
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2010 4:39 am    

I have one I customized with good help from GFI.
They were indeed very helpful in getting me parts that would match.

I am very happy indeed with this guitar, It plays well, sound well....I have no reason for getting a new one some day (other than GAS Confused )

Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2010 5:11 am    

I don't own one but I have a buddie that does. He has a good sound and has not had any troubles in about four years. He really gives a guitar a work-out and his seems to stay in tune well.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2010 12:03 pm    

Gene Fields; master builder and designer of pedal steel guitars. 'Nuff said. Jody.

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2010 1:27 pm     Gfi

I Have A SD10 Ultra I Got From Bobbe seymour About 5 Years ago Been Played Hard Never Had To Do Anything To It But Play It. Great Guitars. SONNY.

Tonu Timm

Estonia
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2010 1:39 pm    

Just about hour ago came from a gig. Our 30 years old country band Justament (http://www.justament.com/) started their jubilee tour. I jumped in as a special guest with my wonderful GFI Ultra SD-10.
GFI Ultra SD-10, BearCreek Weissenborn, Herrmann style 4 Weiss, Åberg W2 Weiss, Hermann Baritone Weiss, National Polychrome Tricone, Fender Champ Lapsteel, Epiphone Electar Century 8-string, Quiter Micropro Mach 2 HD, Nashville 112, Zirconia bars, Bob Perry picks...

Dan Blaisdell

Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2010 5:56 pm    

Yep. I agree with all that's been said. I own a 2006 SD-10 and have been extremely pleased with it. For the price they are unbeatable.

With that said, I really think GFI is an intermediate player's instrument. Whenever I move firmly into the advanced player's league I'm looking forward to purchasing an Emmons, Rains, or Rittenberry. If I stay on track, maybe in about 1.5 years from now.

But I doubt I'll ever sell my GFI!

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2010 6:30 pm    

Although I'm in love with the vintage sound (ZB, Sho-Bud, Emmons, Fender), I decided that my motley armada (S-10, D-10, D-11s, with their various and numerous mechanical quirks) needed to step back in favor of something more reliable and predictable. So I jumped on an Ultra SD-10 to try to transport me out of perpetual beginner status. (I haven't crossed that line, but the GFI is holding up its end.) So eager was I for relief from uneven feel and Rube Goldberg-esque architecture (ZBs), that the SD-10 I jumped on was the ugliest color combination available or imaginable (black and blue. And I've observed mine isn't the only such combination they've been able to palm off on the "chromatically challenged.") After Jim Palenscar rerranged the knee levers (or I should say, the E lever--the other three remain terra incognita) to my preference, it somehow sounded even better than when I got it. The ugly color palette is more than made up for with its touch and tone.

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2010 10:02 pm    

I Am still out on the road playing my GFI expo D-10 all the time... It's the guitar i pick to feed my family.
I have owned Emmons Mullen, Zum, and so on, and they are all fine guitar's ,, but for me the GFI is the complete package. I recorded Holly Dunns last album with a GFI Ultra, and the tone was fantastic.
I can't imagine ever being without my GFI, simply one of the best guitar's built by some of the best builder's that ever lived... Hats off To Gene and his crew for a product well built...
Mike

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 5:07 am    

Quote:
I really think GFI is an intermediate player's instrument.

No offense intended, but the GFI is every bit a pro model guitar for pro players. Do a bit of research to see how many pro's of yesterday and today play GFI. Mike Sigler is an example! I sold my Emmons Legrande a while back and kept the GFI. The Emmons had great tone as would be expected, but my GFI is my first choice.
Dave

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 5:42 am    

What David said! I have an SD-10 and it is the most reliable PSG I have ever played. Gene has done so many things right with the design of these guitars.

They never need any maintenance: no oiling or polishing. Using die board as the sounding board. They are light, sturdy (aircraft aluminum) and stay in tune. Even how the back legs get extended to level the guitar is so sensible--the inner portion screws out. Ever wrestle with trying to level your steel with those traditional legs?

I played out with the GFI and the guitar player thought it sounded better than my Emmons push-pull. All I expect is for it to sound close and yet it has a quality sound all its own.

In the case, the GFI SD-10 is about 40 lbs!

If you want a reliable, light-weight, maintenance-free, great sounding and affordable pro-level PSG, get GFI!

Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 7:35 am    

WELL.... I AM AN MSA SNOB.. OR AT LEAST I USED TO BE.. BOBBE S. KNEW THIS.. I NEEDED A NEW GUITAR IN 2004.. BOBBE SAID I WOULD NOT REGRET THE GFI.. AS IS OFTEN THE CASE, BOBBE WAS RIGHT.. I ADMIT, I HATED THE COLOUR(AT THE TIME).. GOLD TONE ALUMINUM.. NOW I LOVE IT.. IT IS LIKE A 1000lbs LIGHTER THAN ANY MSA I'VE EVER OWNED.. AND IT HAS GREAT TONE.. STAYS IN TUNE.. SETS UP QUICK.. AND IT'S LIGHT.. IF I HAD TO COMPLAIN ABOUT ANYTHING, IT WOULD BE ABOUT THE THUMB-SCREW CONNECTIONS TO THE PEDALS.. THAT'S THE ONLY THING I THINK MSA DID BETTER..
(IT WAS JUST QUICKER)..
ALL IN ALL, MY GFI IS THE BEST GUITAR I'VE OWNED.. I STILL LOVE MY MSA, BUT IT'S SADLY BEEN IN THE CASE FOR THE LAST 5 OR 6 YEARS.
2004 GFI ULTRA-D-10

Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 5:44 pm    

In 2006 I went from a D10 MSA to my D10 Ultra keyless that I bought from Ron Frederickson here on the forum. Thanks Ron. I've had zero problems with mine and it plays smooth and weighs somewhere about half of the MSA. I like the color of mine a deep crimson and gold. Probably sounds almost as good as a black one.

Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 10:34 pm    

for some reason Daves sounds better than my black one...must be the strings or something.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 11:15 pm    

Norm Hamlett and Don Curtis play GFI!

I sure loved the sound of theirs, and Steve Normans when I heard it!! Very Happy

B.Jenkins

Parkersburg, WV...U.S.A
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2010 2:53 am     G.f.i.

What is the reason for that center line across the front of the guitar???
I just dont think it look's good with that on there.
Billy[/b]

Tor Arve Baroy

Norway
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2010 3:20 am     Re: G.f.i.

B.Jenkins wrote:
What is the reason for that center line across the front of the guitar???
I just dont think it look's good with that on there.
Billy[/b]

I agree....The look of the guitar was a challenge to get used to for me... Cool

I really like the look of wood shobud etc, and also the emmons look is classic.

I could never have one of those gold-red or blue red guitars.....to me they dont look very nice at all...
I chose the rosewoodmica/Expo dark grey finish.
I think that look is OK.

Black silver also looks quite good on the ultra series... Smile