The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  White steel guitars
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2010 1:42 pm    

No not the colour. This is a guitar made by Cliff White in England. Some ShoBud and ZB influences there. Cliff has been making these for quite a few years now.

Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2010 3:16 am     Re: White steel guitars

Hi Ken, I've seen one close up. Davey Addams up in Middlesborough has had one for years. Seems well made, pedal action was light and indeed the cosmetic influences as you said are there. One thing I noticed were the frets are the same as guitar frets, stainless steel and tapered down at the end of the fretboard as a normal guitar...probably have the same problem as the old Sho-Bud dust catches.

Micky Byrne U.K.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2010 5:00 am    

I knew a guy who had one, excellent engineering, one of the first I had seen with bearings in the cross shaft bushes.Only thing I didn't like was the string spacing, pretty wide, but then that is just down to personal taste.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2010 9:06 am    

Actually, you know two guys, Malcolm: my 1st steel was a White, S-10, 4+4.
As you say, wide string-spacing, but not uncomfortable. However, it was very heavy!

Looked pretty, like an LDG (but blue) and seemed well-made, but it was quite tricky to alter the function of a knee-lever (the knees were originally like Lloyd G's ie the E string raise was LKR).
I contacted Cliff W for tips on how to alter that and he was very helpful.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2010 9:41 am    

Iain, had forgotten about yours, never had chance to try it.The one I tried was a green LDG type finish and belonged to Iain McMenemy from Saltcoats, he may still have it.See you at next rehearsal.Malcolm
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.