The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I knocked a hole in Zeke Clements Martin on the Hayride
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2010 10:56 pm    

After I did it I just Knew I was a dead young man, he was over 6 feet tall, I had to look up to see his face.
Here is the story.
If you ever worked the GOO or any other shows like these you know you have to get off and on, like right now.
I did not have legs on my National D8, you know how sharpe the outside corners are, After we finished our part of the show, I jumped up. looking out at the crowd, and started off, Zeke was comming on looking back behind him at someone behine the curtain, we met sudden like, his Martin took all the blow just below and behind the Pick guard, that National went all the way thru the main body,
I just knew he was going to kill me, as he came off I went out to meet him, in frint of the whole crowd he looked down and held out his hand like a stop sign, The best words almost I ever heard was ,"we were both looking back, don't worry they will send me a NEW ONE"
Some wanted to hear a road story here is one of mine, I am still in one piece.

PS I backed him up at the VA Hospital in Texas after this, we took the whole Hayride to the big VA Hos In Texas and did the whole show for the inmates, he did one of the songs he wrote for
Eddie Arnold, I don't remember.,Jusy a little loven , anytime, been a long time.

ernie