The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help Forum BIAB Tracks and Soloist - No Volume
Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2009 8:46 pm    

I've been practicing with some of the files available on the forum; Thank you all, they are great.

I've been trying to use the Soloist function to get some ideas, but I've been having trouble. The bass, drums, guitar and piano tracks all play and the solo track is generating (I can see it playing on the virtual keyboard), but there's no volume.

When I open up a non-forum file, the soloist generates and plays just fine, with no changes of any of the volume controls, either in the program or the audio card.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it?

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 11:00 am    

Are you right clicking on the soloist tab and checking whether or not it is muted?

Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 1:08 pm    

Yes. When I right click, the tab changes colors from yellow (on) to red (off) and back again, with continued clicks. When I left click and the highlight box around the tab is showing (meaning it is selected, I think), the volume for the soloist is supposed to be 127.

The problem came up when I used the forum file for "Right or Wrong." I then tested other PSG forum files and found they all have the same problem. When I use files from other BIAB forums (e.g., songs from the Real Book) everything works fine.

If you have a PSG forum file like the above, would you mind seeing if you have the same problem? Then maybe we can narrow it down to a file, computer or user problem.

(... seems like the boat's fine, except for maybe the loose nut on the tiller.) Winking

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 1:25 pm    

Scott, if it's one of my files then I probably unchecked the soloist box. Go to File, then click on "save file with patches and harmony" and see if soloist is checked, then save it. I've done that to several of my files so you might have to check others too.

Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 2:03 pm     Re: Help Forum BIAB Tracks and Soloist - No Volume

Scott Shewbridge wrote:
I've been practicing with some of the files available on the forum; Thank you all, they are great.

I've been trying to use the Soloist function to get some ideas, but I've been having trouble. The bass, drums, guitar and piano tracks all play and the solo track is generating (I can see it playing on the virtual keyboard), but there's no volume.

When I open up a non-forum file, the soloist generates and plays just fine, with no changes of any of the volume controls, either in the program or the audio card.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it?

Typically seeing notes but not hearing them is one of three items. As mentioned above 1) check that the instrument is not in "mute" mode. 2) Next check to see if the track you are not getting sound from is a "Real Track" file or a MIDI only file.

3) If it is a MIDI instrument track make sure that your sound source has the correct channel set and a loud enough volume i.e. Soloist defaults to channel 8 but the volume could have been set too low.

If the file is a RealTrack with a Real Track instrument that you have not purchased it may not generate a sound (i believe it is suppose to default to a MIDI instrument).

If it is a Real Track can you hear ANY RealTracks on other songs? If not, then your audio card volume is too low or net set up correctly in windows system settings.

Good luck. Bo

Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 2:12 pm    

The grand prize winner is ....

Andy!

Andy, thanks for the files and the fix, Gary, thanks for the tips and Bill thanks for the interest.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 3:49 pm    

Your welcome Scott. I got into the habit of unchecking some of the tracks in the "save files with patches and harmony" window so I could preview different styles with just the bass, drums, piano and guitar without having to mute unwanted tracks each time.