The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Biab ? On Tabs With Biab
Arthur Manning

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2009 7:38 am    

Hi you all, Is there any way to use BIAB for transposing Notations to 10 string pedal steel guitar Tabs? WELCOME ANY INFO ON ANY OF THE ABOVE. THANKS, Art M -- I have 2009.5 OMNIPAK with HARD DRIVE--

Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2009 12:46 pm    

BIAB is not programmed to provide more than 6 strings of tab.

What you CAN do is save your song (just the track you want to transpose not all the instruments) as a MIDI file.

Then purchase ClicTab software http://www.clictab.com/

and import the MIDI file into ClicTab. You will need to set up the copedant to match your guitar but if you have never seen this software it is quite nice and VERY easy to use.

Good luck Bo

Arthur Manning

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2009 7:40 pm     Reply

Thanks Gary, I have Clicktab and it stopped my printers (3 printers) from printing. So I had to remove the program. Now I have TabEdit for Notations to Tabs. I don't know If I can do what you stated with TabEdit as I am kinda new to all this. Art M

Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 6:35 am     Re: Reply

Arthur Manning wrote:
Thanks Gary, I have Clicktab and it stopped my printers (3 printers) from printing. So I had to remove the program. Now I have TabEdit for Notations to Tabs. I don't know If I can do what you stated with TabEdit as I am kinda new to all this. Art M

That's too bad. Never had any problems with ClicTab.

So . . . . Three step process to use TabEdit.

Step one: read this from the help files:
TablEdit 2.65 Help

:Under {Score}{Instrument}, set the MIDI instrument to either viola or cello. It produces a nice, natural sounding, tremolo on playback without having to write it into the tab, making it appear "busy". It's really no less PSG-sounding than electric guitar and allows two consecutive whole notes to sound for their entire duration.

"Splits" are defined as either:
The half-press of a pedal or A pedal and a lever acting together so that the effect on a string is the sum of their individual effects.

To include "Splits" in the tablature, rename an unused change as "A/2" for the half press of pedal A and another unused change as BRL to reflect the net effect of the changes associated with the "B" pedal and the "RKL" lever on string 6."

Step Two:
Go to the main menu "SCORE" and then Instrument and chose Pedal Steel Guitar - choose either 10 or 12 for the number of strings and change the instrument as noted above.

Step Three:
Save your BIAB file as a MIDI file with ONLY the instrument you want to provide tab for. Then import it into TabEdit.

Sounds like a lot, but after a few times it will go fairly fast.

Good luck, Bo

Arthur Manning

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 4:48 pm     Tabs

Thanks again Gary, I will give it a try after the holidays. I just ordered the BIAB 2010 with the hard drive and when I install it I will have at it. You and all have the best of Holidays. Art M Very Happy