The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Strymon Blue Sky or Neunaber Stereo Wet Reveb
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 7:49 pm    

Which would you choose and why? I know I'd like the Neunaber but I could pick up a Blue Sky locally. I definitely need stereo.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2023 5:46 pm    

I bought the Blue Sky (V1, for $195 off CL). Hope it sounds as good as my old mono wet reverb, but in stereo.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2023 9:06 am    

What do you think, Paul? Have you tried out the Strymon yet? I'm curious how it compares.

Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2023 6:37 pm    

Paul Sutherland wrote:
I bought the Blue Sky (V1, for $195 off CL). Hope it sounds as good as my old mono wet reverb, but in stereo.

I love my old mono WET. It does a fantastic job of sounding in your sound rather than on your sound, if you know what I mean. Like a good spring does.

That said, I use a Caroline Meteore, which I prefer over both the WET and the the very nice spring emulation in my TM Deluxe (and a Source Audio Ventris and a couple other excellent reverb pedals). It’s a lo-fi reverb with a crunchy, gnarly sound, and would probably horrify the kind of people who like a smooth, polished sound like a Strymon Blue Sky. Fits right in with my idea of “good tone”!

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2023 7:31 pm    

So far, the Wet Reverb is the clear winner for me. I perhaps haven't found the ideal settings on the Blue Sky so maybe it can be made to sound better. But the Wet Reverb is so simple to use and just sounds great. The Strymon has too many knobs IMO. There is a brightness and clarity with the Wet that is missing with the Blue Sky. The Blue Sky sounds a tad muddy by comparison.

The Blue Sky is a stereo pedal, which I need/want. Neunaber no longer makes the Stereo Wet Reverb so I'm left with shopping on CL or Ebay for a clean used unit. I hope the Stereo Wet has the same sound as the mono units.

John Ducsai

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2023 4:21 am    

The Neunaber Immerse Reverberator MKII is a stereo reverb with all the original Stereo Wet algorithms plus more. I'm very happy with it. Look for "B" stock units to save some $ although the regular price is not bad (around $249).
Quilter now owns the Neunaber pedal line.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2023 5:31 am    

Funny -- I had written a longish response when you first posted this but decided to ditch it because of lack of actual experience with the two pedals in question. But it amounted to "both pedals having reputations for sounding good, it comes down to whether you want a trillion options with sub-menus etc. or if you want a simple interface."

I used to love having the options but I've come to realize that I am not a sound designer. I had a Strymon El Cap that sounded great but had 10X more tweakability than I was ever going to use.
I would say 'lesson learned' except that I have no doubt that another complicated pedal will come down the pike and turn my head (there's one on the forum right now that has me fighting temptation.....)

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2023 6:02 pm    

I have been using the Catalinbread Talisman plate reverb. It takes a bit of fiddling to find the right setting and the pre-delay knob is the key for a favorable response. I am more finicky about reverb than any other pedal.

Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2023 7:13 am    

The Walrus Audio R1 also deserves consideration, as does the Specular Reverb and the Specular Tempus by GFI systems. If you can find a cheap one, the IK Multimedia Amplitube X-Time is my current favorite. It sounds incredible. The TC Hall Of Fame 2 is also stereo in and out. So many great options nowadays.

Oh, and if you also need delay, the Line6 DL4 MKII does both. It's what I'm using currently for for pedal steel setup.