The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is Biab Only a Download Program?
Pat Carlson

Sutton, Nebraska, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 7:22 am    

If I order Biab and real band from PG music will they actually send it on a computer disc? I want to install it on my extra computer that is not connected to the internet.
It has been suggested too that some data can be lost in the download that will cause you untold grief .
Thanks in advance looks like a very useful tool Smile

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 7:41 am    

Pat,
When you purchase BIAB, you are able to download the program. However, for an extra $5 you will receive the discs in the mail. This is what I always do because I have a similiar system as yours. The computer I use at home for BIAB is not hooked up to the internat. Besides that, I like to have the program discs if I ever need to do a reboot.
Erv

PS: Albert and I missed you at Waterloo. Sad

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 1:27 pm    

You can also order it on a separate external hard drive.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 2:13 pm    

I do it the same way as Erv.The download is a very slow and unreliable process.Spend $5 and you have a much easier way..
Dunno about the external HD..I have to wonder what happens if the external HD takes a dump..
Another tyhing about the discs to remember is that most of it comes on DVD,so you'll have to have a DVD in your system.
You will also want a large HD and lots of RAM..

Pat Carlson

Sutton, Nebraska, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 9:59 am    

My music computer has windows XP that has 29.1 GB of free space. The hard drive is 1300 MHZ 1,29 GHZ with 512MB of Ram. Confused
I believe in computer terms it is big and fast enough to run Biab.
Help please Smile

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 10:42 am    

If you load all the latest BIAB files you're gonna run out of HD..Those files are huge..
You need at least 1 gig of ram,2's better.
Call the people at PG Music and they will give you all the facts..Toll free call.They have always been eager to help me..
http://www.pgmusic.com/index.html

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 11:32 am    

Again, BIAB does not require a lot of processing power, or large amount of HD space, unless you are loading the real tracks files. If you load all the real tracks you'll end up with a lot of things that you'll probably never use.

To make backing tracks, all you need is the BIAB program, country styles, Ray Price styles, and the country real drums are nice, but not necessary.

Talk to PG music and tell them what it is you want to do before you think you need to go out and spend a bunch of money on a new computer, etc...

A good idea is to use an external hard drive and keep your songs on both the internal and external drive. This way if one crashes, you always got a back up. In you're not doing hundreds of songs, a $20 USB stick drive is just as good.

Another idea to add. The computer you're using to read this forum is probably plenty good enough to run the basic BIAB program, without all the real tracks wav files. A good approach is to download the demo and if you like that, buy the basic program, and when you see that BIAB is something you'll use, you can decide about investing in more BIAB add on's and more computer if needed. You might save yourself a lot of money that way. Smile

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2009 5:25 pm    

Somebody correct me if I am wrong,but when I recently ordered the 395$ version of the BIAB by phone, I was told I could get it on Disk or on a Hard drive ,but the cost would be the same regardless of the format I chose.

If that is the case,I certainly saw no reason not to go with the hard drive. The hard drive also has a large ammount of free space which allows you to save a lot (1000's) of your compositions.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2009 8:31 pm    

I think there was some miscommunication, but if you're going to spend that much, I'd go with the HD version too.

http://www.pgmusic.com/bandbox.htm

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 3:07 am    

My "bb" folder is less than 10GB and I have a lot of extras. 10GB on modern hard drives is relatively nothing.

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 4:50 am    

Whenever I upgrade to the next edition of BIAB I download the upgrade but also pay the extra so I have the hardware disc and manuals that come with it.
Many time when buying a new Computer or if i have a corrupted program I can reload the disc.
I do computer backups but for me it's easier to just load I the disc.
At one time I had to go back several issues and start over in order for my Latest version to work.
I know you computer wiz guys can get around this but for me I do it the long way.
Don