The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Caldwell
Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2009 8:38 pm    

Saw Bobby at the convention and WOW what a talent and huge smile. The world is a sadder place, heaven is a happier place. God bless Bobby, Linda and family, you are in our prayers.

Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2009 11:24 pm     Bobby C

Shocked Sad Confused Whoa! What! That was my first thought when I saw this post. I pray for his family to be comforted. This is just too much, God bless and comfort his Spirit.
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 3:32 am    

It's hard to believe he's gone, it seemed he was onstage nonstop for 14 hours a day at the conventions, he really supported all the steel players by holding everything together, one great musician and hard working guy who certainly will be missed.

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 1:44 pm    

I heard the sad news while in Connecticut playing the PSGA Show with Chuck. I new it was coming but is so sad and hard to deal with. I first heard Bobby in 1975 and he was instantly one of my guitar hero's. He knew everyones tunes melody harmony etc. Later we got to be good friends. What an inspiration. The last 6 or seven years when I'd play the Convention Bobby would just get off the stage and sit down and watch me play (that was VERY scary). He was so supportive of my playing in ways that just made me better. It's hard to say goodbye to an old friend but he will always be in my thoughts and prayers. After the PSGA Show I had a Jazz gig in NYC and all I thought about was Bobby. And no it wasn't depressing but inspirational because of all the musical inspiration he gave me. I wish he would have been at that gig I would have given him my guitar sat back and watched the master!!! I miss you Bobby.

Jim Stahlhut

Last edited by Jim Stahlhut on 12 Nov 2009 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 3:54 pm     Bobby Caldwell

I knew Bobby was having a lot of health problems but this was really a shock coming this fast. I just returned home from the PSGA show in CT late last night. I first met Bobby in the early seventies when we worked a package show together and backed Barbara Fairchild. Needless to say, he blew with his classy style of guitar playing the first time I heard him. Anytime I would be in St. Louis after that while working the road, I would come by Scotty's store and Bobby and I would jam many times. He has worked with me every year since 1978 at the Convention except this year when he was unable to attend. Bobby has always been one of my all time heroes and I can't tell you how many times he has pulled me through on stage. I was also lucky enough to get to have him play on two of my albums and also a DVD with Wade Ray. I could write a book about Bobby, but I will close for now. I will really miss him and our prayers go out to Linda and his family.

Herby Wallace

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 5:04 pm    

Bobby was such a great guitarist. He was Mr. Guitar!
I was always amazed at his playing and he just was always right there playing with the well known steel artists.

In my collection I have several LPs and DVDs that he shares the spot light with steel greats like Julian Tharpe, Zane Beck, Curly Chalker Speedy West and others. Just brillant!

May GOD bless his family and give them HIS peace at this time.

Terry Wood

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 5:42 pm    

What a hit in the head.., What a great player and Human Being.

Prayers are with you and yours Bobby. God got another GREAT ONE.

Jeff C

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 1:02 am    

May the good Lord have mercy on Bobby's soul and welcome him into paradise with open arms which I know he will. I also ask that our loving Father help his family understand that Bobby is in Paradise with the Lord and is no longer in pain and they will see him again when they go to meet him when it's their time!

Bob Martin

Dale Dorsey

Granger, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 2:03 pm    

We've lost far too many great musicians/people this year...how about we slow this process down drastically? I didn't know Bobby but have enjoyed his playing for many, many years. Sorry to hear about this.