The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  B lower issue
John Evans

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 8:55 pm    

Hello,

I recently changed my copedent setup to add in a Franklin pedal. The change is split between a fourth and fifth pedal instead of having both on the 4 pedal. The previous setup had E lowers on RKL and B lowers on LKR but I decided to switch them to the standard set up of Es on left leg and Bs right.
All the new changes seem to be working fine except for the B to Bb RKL which will not lower fully to the Bb, but only on the 5th string (10 has no problem with that change). I have removed the 10 string B lower change for now to isolate the 5th strings problem. I tried increasing the travel distance significantly but it still won't fully hit the Bb. All other changes on that string are working fine including the half-Franklin lower to A.
Also when I tune the tuning nut on the Bb change it will sometimes tune down, hit a point, and tune back up.

Has anyone run into this problem before? Please let me know if you have any tips or ideas on what might be happening here.

Thanks
John

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 9:07 pm    

What make of guitar? If your guitar has the so called "split" screws at the end of the neck, they might be stopping the travel.

Else, make sure there's not a broken string ball hung up in the changer. Since you seem to have addressed the travel issue, that's all I got for now.

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2022 4:25 am    

If the Franklin pedal lowers the string to A then there is no issues whatsoever with a poissible "split-tuning screw" as this one only restricts how much the string can be lowered.

From your description of the problem it sounds like the raise finger is also moving at the same time when trying to do the B to Bb lower.

It could be caused by a too tight return spring on the lower finger.

The further away from the return spring the pull rod is the more it is subject to be affected by a too tight return spring spring which will make the scissor also move the raise finger.

Make sure the is enough slack on both pullrods (franklin pedal and B-Bb lever) so the lowering finger rests correctly at the body.

If the Franklin pedal pullrod has been overtuned then this nylontuner could act as a new fulcrumpoint causing the raisefinger to suddenly move because the return spring will pivot the lowering mechanism against this fulcrumpoint.

You just have to watch carefully what happens at the changer finger when engaging the B-Bb lever. Something there that shouldnt move is moving at the same time as the lowering finger try to lower the string to Bb.

Possible fault isolation, unscrew the franklin pedal nylon tuner so there is no pull whatsoever on the pull rod that have issues with B-Bb lower.If the B-Bb lower now works as it should then you located the problem. The Franklin pullrod would need more movement when engaging the pedal to aviod the nylon tuner beeing overtuned.

Best of luck finding the problem.

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12extE9 7+7

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2022 8:28 am    

If this is a Sho-Bud with barrels, my first guess is the issue is somewhere with the barrel itself. I had a very similar issue with a 6139 rack and barrel Sho-Bud, where while tuning the change it would start tuning and then jump to a de-tuned state and start over.

I replaced the barrel with a brand new one and the issue stopped. I never investigated any further as it fixed my issue and I just chucked that barrel in the trash.

John Evans

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2022 8:57 am    

Thanks everyone I will try these suggestions. The guitar in a Linkon Link II S12 with no split change tuners which makes me believe it has something to do with the lower finger and raise finger moving together as Bengt suggested.
I'll be taking a closer look at that today. Hoping not to have to take apart the changers as I just put on fresh strings.