The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Non-Pedal Tablature **Post Here**
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 10:15 am    

I'm currently working on mastering my new Guitaresque tuning which gives me full chords and scales for solo playing. No more backing band required. Stay tuned.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 7:24 am    

Back copies of Aloha Dream (that include tab)are now available in downloadable pdf format, either singly or by the year or the complete set up-to-date.
Individually $2:00, Yearly (or any four issues) $5 or the whole enchilada $65
Download the pdf of all the covers and page 2 indexes to see and choose..
Each issue has tablature and the tab index of tunes/keys/tunings is on page 107-108.

Click HERE

Payment via PayPal to pathenrick@hotmail.com and include your desired order..

Not many people bothering to download the index, so, here is the tab list..
Basil Henriques’ Tablature

Date Title Key Tuning

Dec-02 Blue Hawaii Waltz C A6
Feb-03 Carefree D/Eb/ G E6
May-03 Sleepy Lagoon C C6
Aug-03 San Antonio Rose G C
Nov-03 Sweet Leilani F A6
Feb-04 Pearly Shells F#/G E13
May-04 Moon of Manakoora F E6
Aug-04 Blue Hawaii Bb E13
Nov-04 To andy Iona C C6/A7
Feb-05 Sand (Pt.1) C B11
May-05 Sand (Pt.2) C B11
Aug-05 Mapuana D B11
Nov-05 Moon over Miami F E13
Mar-06 Adventures in Paradise C E13
Jun-06 Aloha Nui Loa la Oe Bb E6
Sep-06 Beach at Bali Bali G C6/A7
Dec-06 Don’t Sing Aloha G E6
Mar-07 Sleep Walk C E6
Jun-07 Pagan Love Song C E13
Sep-07 Happa Haole Hula Girl G C6
Dec-07 Million Moons G E13
Mar-08 My Tane F E13
Jun-08 The Keli Manu Waltz F C6/A7
Dec-08 Sophisticated Hula Bb C6/A7
Mar-09 Goodbye Hawaii G E13
Jun-09 Island Moon F C6/A7
Sep-09 Sweet Georgia Brown Ab C6
Dec-09 Out on the Beach at Waikiki Bb B11
Mar-10 Blue Hawaii (B.I. Version) C C6/B11
Jun-10 A Song of Old Hawaii G E13
Sep-10 Pretty Red Hibiscus Eb C13
Dec-10 Sweet Hawaiian Kisses F C13
Mar-11 Mauna Kea (Pt.1) D C13
Jun-11 Mauna Kea (Pt.2) G-Eb C13
Sep-11 King’s Serenade G C13
Dec-11 Blue Tahitian Moon F C13
Mar-12 To Make you Love Me F C13
Jun-12 The Moon of Manakoora C E6th
Sep-12 Beyond the Reef F C13
Dec-12 Yellow Holoku various C13
Mar-13 Waikiki F C13
Jun-13 How’d Ya Do F B11
Sep-13 Maui Chimes (Maui no laka oi) A A6th
Dec-13 Drifting and Dreaming G E13th
Mar-14 ‘Kaimana Hila’ (Diamond Head) F C13th
Jun-14 My Hapa Haole Hula girl G C13th
Sep-14 My Isle on Hilo Bay D C13
Dec-14 To You Sweetheart aloha A B11/C13
Mar-15 Harbour Lights Eb C13
Jun-15 Blue Hawaii...waltz C A6
Sep-15 NO ROOM
Dec-15 Hawaiian Paradise C C13

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>

Last edited by basilh on 26 Aug 2016 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total

John Botofte

Denmark
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 1:13 am     C6 tab for Ne Aloha Noa Honolulu

Quick conversion from Stacy Philip's great The Art of Hawaiian Steel Guitar. Hope it of use for anybody out there.

https://soundcloud.com/lapsteelin1965

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 8:45 am     He aloha Noa Honolulu

Hi John:
Oh it's great to see a new non pedal tab posted.
Thank you. I printed it off and have been playing it this morning and like it. Now I hope to find this song played so I can hear it.

I have a question about measure 8. I seem to automatically want to resolve that measure with the bar on fret 12 with strings 2 and 5 rather than the 10/9 as written. Am I wrong doing that?

I really like your format, it's perfect for me.
I hope you'll sometime be able to gift us with more of your tab work.

Sincerely
Dick

John Botofte

Denmark
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2014 1:41 am    

Hi Dick - Measure 8 in Stacy Philip's D tuning tab correctly reads notes FD DF-BD with the latter two being tied together with a beam so I slide from DF to BD to get the G7 chord with some vibrato, but maybe it's better to move the G7 to the seventh fret. This was just a quick conversion to hear what it would sound like in C6.
I'll post more stuff later.
John

https://soundcloud.com/lapsteelin1965

Jack Gentle Jr

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2014 12:16 pm    

Last edited by Jack Gentle Jr on 4 Mar 2024 5:21 am; edited 2 times in total

Barry Hughey

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 2:17 am     Tabs

Im a 68yr old beginner with parkinsons. my goal is to be able to play something that sounds enough like music to be enjoyable and to play something with my grandsons(ages 11 & 13) who are taking guitar lessons with the outstanding New Braunfels teacher, Bill Hill. I am using some of Troy Brenningmeyer's online stuff to get started and keeping it a secret so far. Today I looking for simple tabature for c6 lap steel, particularly for Faded Love and 12 bar blues. I will search the site and if I can't find something I will get back to you.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 2:58 am     Re: Tabs

Barry Hughey wrote:
I am using some of Troy Brenningmeyer's online stuff to get started and keeping it a secret so far.

That's DEFINITELY a good thing to do !! In fact I'd keep it a secret permanently, until you can actually play, that is...
His version of Aloha Oe is an example of what NOT to do..
http://youtu.be/GcUbg7Vgvkc

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>

Sergio Pernas Velo

Spain
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 12:12 pm     Re: Tabs

basilh wrote:
Barry Hughey wrote:
I am using some of Troy Brenningmeyer's online stuff to get started and keeping it a secret so far.

That's DEFINITELY a good thing to do !! In fact I'd keep it a secret permanently, until you can actually play, that is...
His version of Aloha Oe is an example of what NOT to do..
http://youtu.be/GcUbg7Vgvkc

Not looking for any trouble (I'm barely starting to know up from down) but I'd really love some meaty critique on this regard.

We newbies are sometimes a little on our own, and there are different sources to learn from. I really don't have the knowledge to distinguish one from another. In this case, I listen to Troy's Aloha Oe and I like it, but clearly you (basilh) are listening and seeing something I cannot see because I lack the knowledge and experience to do so.

Maybe this (Tablature, I mean) is not the place to talk about this, and I know it's a touchy subject (we are talking about professional teachers) but how can we newbies guide our way around this?

Jim Wilmoth

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 1:35 pm     Re: Tabs

[quote="basilh"]
Barry Hughey wrote:
...His version of Aloha Oe is an example of what NOT to do..

I'm curious of your critique as well. I think I have dubbed myself "advanced" beginner at this point or "knowing just enough to be dangerous" and try to pick up what I can from any resource I can that seems reasonable and fairly consistent with other lap steel resources.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 3:49 pm     Re: Tabs

Sergio Pernas Velo wrote:

Not looking for any trouble (I'm barely starting to know up from down) but I'd really love some meaty critique on this regard.

OK, the nitty gritty:

1/. The melody is totally incorrect at bar 13, and the glissando at bars 2, 4, 10 and 13, whist effective are not the melody.

2/. He's out of tune

3/. It's not flowing, it's stilted and damped far too much between the notes, except where he goes down from fret 12 to fret 7 without killing the notes, and that's also incorrect. If anything, that's the one place that DOES require damping.

4/. The slants should be done by manipulating the bar, NOT bending the wrist.

5/. T=120 is way too fast for that tune to be interpreted correctly: 95 would be the fastest if one was to maintain the correct feel.

SPECIFICALLY the melody of the second line and last line of the chorus SHOULD be different, to fit the words. In Hawaiian or English the number of syllables are the same, and both have 11 on the second line and 7 on the last.

Note the different key From the Chas E King's Book, he transcribed many of the Queen's songs.
Also note on the sheet "Andante moderato" – between andante and moderato (thus the name andante moderato) (90–100 BPM)

Also it's the wrong type of bar to be using if one is to draw it back to omit unplayed strings and just play those in use. Whilst the technique is quite correct, it requires a "Bullet Nose" bar to execute correctly.

Last edited by basilh on 21 Jul 2014 6:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 5:55 pm    

Here is a backing track in G at a sympathetic tempo (95)
The format is Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus and tag.

This folder contains MANY versions of the song to study for the interpretation and nuance.Some good some bad, but all follow the CORRECT melody, well fairly close.

The lyrics to this song are:-

Ha`aheo ka ua i nâ pali
Ke nihi a`ela i ka nahele
E hahai (uhai) ana paha i ka liko
Pua `âhihi lehua o uka

Hui:
Aloha `oe, aloha `oe
E ke onaona noho i ka lipo
One fond embrace,
A ho`i a`e au
Until we meet again

And in full English (Mmmmm)

Proudly swept the rain by the cliffs
As it glided through the trees
Still following ever the bud
The `ahihi lehua of the vale

Chorus:
Farewell to you, farewell to you
The charming one who dwells in the shaded bowers
One fond embrace,
'Ere I depart
Until we meet again

Quote:
This song of farewell between two lovers is the most famous of the Queen's compositions, written in 1878. The tune of the verse resembles "The Rock Beside the Sea", composed by Charles Crozat Converse and published in Philadephia, 1857. The melody of the chorus is remarkably close to the chorus of George Frederick Root's composition, "There's Music In The Air", published in 1854. There is a manuscript of "Aloha Oe" in Queen Lili'uokalani's handwriting in the Bishop Museum. Lahilahi Webb and Virginia Dominis Koch tell of a visit by the queen and her attendants to Maunawili Ranch, the home of Edwin Boyd on windward Oahu. As they started their return trip to Honolulu on horseback up the steep Pali trail, the queen turned to admire the view of Kaneohe Bay. She witnessed a particularly affectionate farewell between Colonel James Boyd of her party and a lovely young girl from Maunawili. As they rode up the steep cliff and into the swirling winds, she started to hum this melody weaving words into a romantic song. At the top of the pali, a cloud hung over the mountain peak and slowly floated down Nu`uanu Valley. The queen continued to hum and completed her song as they rode the winding trail down the valley back to Honolulu. Translation by Lili`uokalani. Copyright1939 renewed 1967 Miller Music Corp

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 6:19 pm    

Sergio Pernas Velo (Is that enough meat yet, or would you like the vegies as well?) and Jim Wilmoth, if you wish I can do a tab in the C6th tuning of the correct melody, and post it here ! Evil or Very Mad Evil Twisted

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 2:12 am     An advanced version of Blue Hawaii

For advanced or adventurous players.

The text (of the above image)

Aloha..........
The tab. this time is “Blue Hawaii”, transcribed by Guy Cundell “Guy is a musician and teacher from South Australia. He is a lecturer in music at the Adelaide College of the Arts where he teaches music theory, history and aspects of arranging and composition. A long time guitarist, he became interested in steel guitar and started performing on dobro six years ago. Since then he has become hooked on steel and his interests have expanded into western swing and Hawaiian steel guitar."

With regard to Heritage, Blue Hawaii, a version by Barney Isaacs Jr (Alvin Kalanikau Isaacs Jr) is one of the most typical recordings of the style of Hawaiian Steel Guitar during the later Hawaii Calls era, and as such I decided to analyse just how he played it.

As a point of interest I worked out what strings he was playing on quite easily because his first string has a slight "whine at the bridge" and the second string has also, but with a differing tonality. I was able to determine what strings and frets each note was played at, and even what fingers picked them, (the thumb picking away from the player and the fingerpick picking towards the player make quite different audible transients.

So I made a video of the analysis and posted it on the Internet on YouTube as :-
“An analysis of the technique and positions used by Barney Isaacs Jr on a version of Blue Hawaii.”

Part 1. of the video is found by going to:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqNBslt1qWM

the other parts of the video will appear as links...The response to the video was enlightening. An audio version of the Barney Isaacs version can be
found at:-
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/09%20Blue%20Hawaii.mp3

Backing track at:-
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/Blue%20Hawaii%20B%252fT.mp3

Barney's version of the C6th was actually the C13th. E-C-A-G-E-C-Bb-C he changes to the B11th at the end of the tune and uses the “Jules Ah See” version. E-C#-A-F#-D#-B-A-B

The Good News
For those of you WITHOUT access to the Internet, I decided to make available a DVD of the analysis, UK £3.00 inc postage, and the rest of Europe, 5 Euro... Rest of the world $7:50..
It’s not intended to be an Instructional/tutorial video it’s more an informal demonstration of where and how
etc.

The Bad News
Recently on the internet there has been a surfeit of mediocre players purporting to be “Teachers” and posting instructional material, I would quite vehemently warn against using these sources..
I watched a video of a 14 year old lad who’s been getting instruction from one of these so called experts, you can see a sample of the comments that were made on the worldwide Steel Guitar Forums on pages 16-17 of this issue .

Prompted by the inaccuracies in “William the Musician’s” version of ‘Beyond the Reef’, I posted a video of the CORRECT version of the tune and pointed out to him the common mistakes that can be made when playing it.

We are now getting constant postings on forums by beginners asking about flat steels with grips because they find it too difficult to hold a round bar, and players saying that playing without picks is OK. Then the follow-ups from the same beginners are concerning a “Magic Box” to get the tone they hear other pro players with, seeming to believe that and amplifier or preamp/ reverb etc will “Magically” transform them into the world of better tone etc. There would seem to be a preponderance of players looking to “BUY” what can only be learned with time and effort. The belief in “Shortcuts” seems to extend to the more experienced “Weekend Warriors” as well.

My slant on this trend is that if you want to emulate the tone of the accepted masters, then aside from the guitar itself, you need the PROPER tools, i.e. a bullet nose round bar, plastic thumb pick, and metal fingerpicks of a gauge somewhere betwixt 0.018” and 0.024”. The method of holding the bar, positioning the right hand and fingerpicks should be studied much more than the beginner thinks is necessary. As an example, many players SOMETIMES pick halfway between the bar and the bridge, the pro will only play there either just before or just after playing “Palm Harmonics” as an expediency, returning to the bridge position for picking as soon as practical.
Many beginners picking at that halfway position permanently, claim that the “Tone is Better there”: a fallacy brought on by not having a good amplifier or not setting it to it’s optimum. I really don’t need to go into the technicalities of transient versus sustain in waveforms, I will in a future article, but suffice to say, that picking close to the bridge will produce the best tone and “Perceived” sustain, not apparent in a solo situation, but patently clear when in the group scenario.
Basil Henriques

Jim Wilmoth

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 6:40 am     Aloha Oe

basilh wrote:
Sergio Pernas Velo (Is that enough meat yet, or would you like the vegies as well?) and Jim Wilmoth, if you wish I can do a tab in the C6th tuning of the correct melody, and post it here ! Evil or Very Mad Evil Twisted

Hi Basil,

An authentic tab of the tune would be great!

Jim

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 10:40 am    

No sooner said than done.. This is from the original music transcribed from Queen Liliʻuokalani's notes by Chas E King. I've changed the key. He wrote it in Ab but G would seem more practical.
And ...---->HERE is a backing track in G at a sympathetic tempo (95)
The format is Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus and tag.
THIS is a guide track to help you absorb the melody.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Jim Wilmoth

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 2:46 pm     Mele Kalikimaka for C6th

Hi Basil,

I don't suppose you have music for Mele Kalikimaka for C6th? Would really like to learn that before the holiday season Smile

Jim

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 8:13 am     Meat and vegies

Wow Basil:
Thank you for a fantastic meal!! I'll go for 2nds and 3rds and well I could eat this kind of meal 3 times a day everyday. This is great information.

Jack Gentle Jr...I downloaded your tab as well and like it.

Thanks to friends like you and Basil extending your time and effort for everyone because of your love for steel guitar and promoting accuracy us old guys out here in the sticks can continue to enjoy, appreciate and grow with this wonderful instrument.
Sincerely
Dick Chapple Sr

Jack Gentle Jr

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 12:26 pm    

x.

Last edited by Jack Gentle Jr on 4 Mar 2024 5:22 am; edited 2 times in total

Jim Wilmoth

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 2:51 pm     Re: Blue Skies Tab

Jack Gentle Jr wrote:
Here is a fairly easy version.
C6, 6-string, tuning
Key of E

Tab

Audio(Tab generated)

Thanks Jack. This song has intrigued me for quite sometime (Doug's version on YouTube with his 8 string is exquisite). I will hopefully be checking this version out tonight.

Jim Wilmoth

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 8:44 pm     Re: Kansas City Blues

Fred Wright wrote:
I'm looking for the complete tab for Kansas City Blues. Greg Cutshaw has part of it, but I need the entire tab for 6 string Lap E, C, A, G, E, C. Any help would be appreciated. Fred

Me too! Smile

Jack Gentle Jr

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2014 8:29 am    

x.

Last edited by Jack Gentle Jr on 4 Mar 2024 5:23 am; edited 2 times in total

Jack Gentle Jr

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2014 5:33 am     Mood Indigo

Deleted
Comcast has deleted personal Web pages

Last edited by Jack Gentle Jr on 10 Jan 2016 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Gentle Jr

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2014 5:30 pm     Send in the Clowns

Deleted
Comcast has deleted personal Web pages

Last edited by Jack Gentle Jr on 10 Jan 2016 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Joshua Clements

Tifton, Georgia.
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2014 6:37 pm    

Jack, that Send in the Clowns version is nice. I always loved that song, especially Sinatra's spin on it. Thanks for posting.