The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  join me in a custom install over several weeks
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 7 Oct 2009 9:28 am    

I'd like to try something here that I think would be of help in regards to installing BIAB.
I just pulled 2009.5 hard drive version out of the box and I'm going to install on a PC that has BIAB 2008.5 hard drive version. I want to do this slowly over several weeks to give everyone a chance to reply as I go.
I never got the 2008.5 like I wanted it and this time I want to get it right.
I want to post step by step as I go with the complete custom install including midi input hardware from my steel.
Example: I will post what and how and if I got the results I was looking for as I progress and your input will be appreciated at all times especially when I don't get the results I was looking for.
Also any suggestions before I start are welcome.

Last edited by Stuart Legg on 2 Nov 2009 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2009 11:12 am    

Well I hope to get started this evening. we've had stormy weather here and I don't like to run my computer in those conditions.
I have a question before I start. Would I be smart to remove 2008.5 before I start?

Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2009 1:09 pm    

I've never removed older versions and have not had any issues. Is this an "upgrade" or a completly new install?

What was it that you did not like about your 2008.5 version? I can't think of anything in 2008.5 that can't be done in 2009.5 (other than new features).

What are you using for the MIDI Source. Not the hex pickup but the MIDI Interface hardware? GI-20 or someting else. I'm not aware of any 10 string interfaces? Will you simply choose 6 strings "in-line" to capture?

Bo

Last edited by Gary Baker on 9 Oct 2009 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2009 3:17 pm    

Gary, it's been stormy weather here for the last 4 days and I just didn't have time in between to mess with it. Tomorrow Sat. I'll post all the info you ask about and look forward to your help. Stuart

Gary Baker

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2009 3:37 pm    

Shocked

I'll keep an eye out for you.

Blessings, Bo

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2009 1:00 pm    

Ok, here is the way I’m set up. BIAB USB and G2m Midi to USB all PC Vista

Last edited by Stuart Legg on 2 Nov 2009 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gary Baker

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2009 2:00 pm    

OK I get all that but what are you using as the MIDI tone generator?

The Sonuus GM2 is a MONOPHONIC MIDI converter. That means that it can only convert one note at a time to MIDI.

With a pitch bend range of +-2 you will need to do some tweeking to use this with a PSG.

The biggest issue as I see it now is that the converter likes to see a fast/short articulation of the note - not one note sliding into another.

On a six string that is not too big of a problem - if you plan to use the PSG it will take some time to get the right technique.

Carry on!

bo

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2009 2:12 pm    

Gary, You are correct about the G2M. I just want to use this on my 6 string to get simple close notation so I can deal with it in TablEdit
However I'll look forward to your input on this part later. I don't want to deal with the midi converter until I get all the other right.
I sure could use some help now with the following.
Well I cranked it all up. Geez it's a lot easier than the last version.
I chose option number 2 out of the 3 down load options which is to put BIAB on my C drive (My PC) and leave Real drums and Real tracks on the F drive (BIAB hard drive).
The last time I had to call a tech to get the custom folders right in the 2008.5 hard drive version and everything was a pain in the butt to get it right which I finally just gave up.
Real tracks and drums would not work in 2009.5 when I first tried to play a real tracks because had listed my custom folder with a C: instead of F: so I had to go to PREF and change the custom folders to F:\bb\real tracks and F:\bb\drums.
Now it is working fine but I'm not real sure if this is right but it is what they suggested but it is not the same as the original folder name suggested in the box which had the path F:\programs\pgmusic\bb\realtracks. My question here is should it be this or just F:\bb\realtracks
I haven’t got into the Midi drive set up to see about the MME/ASIO/ASIO always on status.
I don’t have a clue about this part of the set up and I could never get it straightened out in my 2008.5. Same goes for VST and DXi. Would like some help with this.

Gary Baker

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2009 6:27 pm    

You really can put the audio files anywhere you like. The important thing is to remember where you put them so as you move forward and add new files you keep them all in one place.

My audio is on a second drive called G:

My audio files are:
G:\BIABWAV\Real Tracks
and
G:\BIABWAV\Drums

Note that these are .wav files and not the compressed files that come with BIAB.

I suggest a different folder for Drums and Real Tracks. It just keeps things a little neater.

As for DXi or VSTi I'll be glad to help as it comes up. It's not that difficult once you understand what is going on.

Blessings, Bo

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2009 9:21 am    

Thanks Gary
I’m a little confused about the folders you speak of.
I put the BIAB saved song files on the desktop and then put them in a folder.
I downloaded BIAB onto the C: drive and left the real tracks on the F: drive. I thought the custom folder I selected was telling my computer where to find "real tracks" and that file was called “realtracks” and I had to select it for the path F:\bb\realtracks in order for the real tracts to play. It would not except a new folder here.

Gary Baker

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 4:20 pm    

OK. Let's get beyond the "where are my audio files thing. You can put them anywhere on any drive in any directory. You just have to let BIAB know where to look. It sounds like you decided to keep the files on the little USB hard drive and on YOUR system this is called the F drive.

So to insure that you are set up correctly for this, go to the Main Menu OPT (Options) then Preferences (at the bottom of the list) then click on the REALDRUMS button. This will open up a window with a lot of options for Real Drums. In the lower right corner will be an area showing where BIAB is looking to fine your Real Drums. Should say F:\bb\Drums. If so, I think you will be OK.

Same thing for the Real Tracks. Go to Preferences, then click on the RealTracks button. Check in the same area and this should say F:\bb\realtracks.

That's it - your done.

NEXT :::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Audio cards require a software program called a "driver" to make them do what they do. Windows comes with an audio driver called MME. It's basic and generic and works with almost anything.

A different type of Audio driver is called ASIO. This is a more robust (better working) driver and SOME audio cards can use it. (higher end cards-mostly).

Most audio cards have inbedded a micro chip processor that can play instrument sounds with an interface called MIDI. MIDI is like a player piano roll. It just tells the piano what to play and does not make the sound itself. These "instruments" are usually pretty basic and not pleasing.

To overcome the "toy box" sound you either upgrade your sound card (fair), purchase a self standing synthesizer (Great) or use what is now called a "plug-in" synthesizer.

These plug-ins are software programs (heavy duty) that can't play a thing on their own. They have to "plug-in" to some other program that handles all the sequencing duties.

There are two different types of plug-ins. DXi and VSTi. Different companies but they do the same thing. You can also use plug ins for effects like Reverb, Chorus, EQ and a host of other sound reinforcements. These are called DX and VTS (no "i" for instruemnt.

That's enough for now - just know that these are nothing more than a different way to get instruments in BIAB to sound better than most "commerical" audio cards.

IMHO - a selfstanding synthesizer is the best way to go for a number of reasons, but also the most expensive. In the Tone department - you get what you pay for.

Hope this keeps you on the path.

Blessings, Bo

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2009 8:17 am    

Gary, Looks like some good info. I haven't forgotten about this. I just haven't been able to make time for this project. I'll revive this topic real soon and finish up. Thanks