The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remembering Chuck Fisher
Donald Ruetenik

Pleasant Hill, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2009 4:21 pm    

I learned today of the passing of Chuck Fisher.

http://www.legacy.com/SantaCruzSentinel/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=134072816

Some might remember him as an infrequent poster on the forum. Others who knew him personally marveled at his tenacious spirit in spite of his physical condition. His eclectic playing style was a testimony to his musicianship.

I had the opportunity to collaborate with him on the construction of a peculiar lap-steel guitar. The basic concept was mine but the refinement of the design was all his. I made it but I was amazed at how he made it sing.

I regret not having visited Chuck more often. But I can never forget his indelible example of a man making a life for himself in the face of incredible adversity.

For those who live in the Santa Cruz, CA area: We'll be gathering at the Lighthouse field this Sunday, Oct 11, at 2:00 to spread Chuck's ashes. Take Westcliff to Pelton (just across from the surfer statue) and go down four streets to Laguna. You can park on the street and we'll be walking in from there.

Rest now your long ordeal and visit with us in our thoughts and dreams.

Last edited by Donald Ruetenik on 9 Oct 2009 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2009 6:52 pm    

Don, Indeed it's very sad.

Please see the thread I posted about Chuck's passing on Sept. 9th.

I will not be there because I won't be getting back to town until about 4:30am this Sunday. However I will be there in spirit.

I'll always miss Chuck. He was my best friend and (IMHO) they just can't get no better than him.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=166764

BTW Don, Chuck was very impressed with you. Your knifemaking skills really intrigued him.