The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wayne Gailey
Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2009 11:28 am    

Sad yeah, yeah,I know it was quite awhile ago, Wayne passed back in 1977 .....I'm pretty sure, in any event he was one of the finest players to grace God's green earth(don't take my word ask Buddy (E), so I felt it my duty to mention him on this site. Bless you Wayne you were/are one of the best and it was my pleasure and blessing to have been your friend Smile

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2009 9:23 pm    

The high point of my trips to the convention in Nashville back in the day was getting to see Wayne play with Kenny Vernon. Country music didn't git no better. A great player and a nice guy. I miss him.
I have the "Rose Maddox Sings Bluegrass". Wayne wears it out!

Richard Paul

Iowa USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2009 4:30 am     Wayne

Wayne was great, he was working the "Westen" in National City, I used to love to go and listen to him play, Went to the club one night, and they said he had left for Vagas. Last I seen him.

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2009 6:42 am    

Wayne was raised in the Corona, CA area. He was still holding a day time job there when he was first playing down in National City. When he left National City I think he went with Paul Harper up to Alaska. I think his stent with Rose Maddox came after that and then the Vegas stuff. When he was playing around Corona area he and a nother local Gary Wilson would get together quiet often. Gary could duplicate Chet A. to a T.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2009 9:00 am     Wayne'O

Very Happy Hey guys it's great to hear from some folks who met Wayne. I had the supreme pleasure of knowing and working some with him in Albuquerque ,he was playin with Nestor Eaton in the band "Swamproots".He was indeed a great player (he also played some excellent 6 and 12 string guitar too).If you're out there Gigi Hardin, I would sure like some copies of the live tapes I made of Swamproots and Wayne at the old Alb Hitchin post Winking

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2009 3:43 pm    

To Richard Paul
The guitar player that was with Wayne at the Westerner in National City, Merv Cook just passed away two weeks ago. Great guitar player and good friend.
Wayne was an amazing player....
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2009 12:42 pm    

I met Wayne at the Caravan West, and I believe he was playing a Bud Crossover. I was thoroghly impressed with his playing and suggested he should come to Nashville, he laughed and said,"been there." Well I guess he had, the boy had chops, and a great guy.

Richard Paul

Iowa USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2009 3:01 pm     Wayne

Jay you are right, my memory neede jogged, Merv was some thing else too. Sorry to hear of his passing. Merv played the Twenty One club with Billy Moon When I first meet him. Thanks for for the memories Jay.

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2009 3:24 pm    

Wayne's first "pedal steel" as I recall was a tripple neck (don't remember the brand), but he took a multi-chord changer and attached it to the middle neck. This was about 1958 as I remember.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2009 5:09 pm    

Very Happy Great to know more bout Wayne, he be listenin you know Cool

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2009 9:50 pm    

Richard Paul, you can call me Jay, or you can call me Ray, but my name will still be Ray.....
Merv was a great friend and Guitarist.
My Brother..........
I know Billy Moon, and all the rest of the San Diego crowd.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2009 9:45 am     Storm

I live in Albuquerque and still play the Caravan. I never met Wayne but have heard of his legacy ever since i arrived. I know Kenny Vernon well and worked with his bass player for years (Skip Faye) before he passed some years ago. By the way sorry to say my good friend GG Hardin passed away last year of cancer.

Clarence Musolf

Pine City Mn
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2009 10:06 am    

I met Kenny and Wayne at a place called The Hogan in Colorado Springs some time ago in the early 60's . Wayne had a white double neck steel , that he said a friend had built for him . good looking steel ,but he wanted to sell it , not sure why . They were having some kind of a talent show going on at the same time Wayne and Kenny were doing their show . I sat in for a couple of songs ..I had just gotten in town , had no place to stay as of yet so Wayne offered for me to stay at the motel where he , and I think it was his wife were staying at .. Got a roon the next day of my own .. But you are so right about him being a great steel player and great person . That he was .. Got to meet Johnny Paycheck that night also ..

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2009 6:09 pm    

Very Happy Yep Wayne was one of a kind, speaking of which, he used his own tuning on the bottom 5 strings of his e9 neck...he told me what it was and his copedent setup but alas after a divorce and 35 years I have completely spaced it out....damn. Geez Ron sorry to hear bout Gigi,he was the last known one in Alb to have the 1 of a kind recordings I made of Wayne and Swamproot at the old Hitchinpost on w central.Knew Skipper too he was a good freind and he's missed.I wonder where Ron Ekcles is ,he was Swamproot's bass player after Skip quit.Last time I saw em all together was at the Golden Gopher/Stallion/ whatever it was when Kenny Vernon was runnin it, all jammin with Roger Miller who was hangin in Alb for a while Very Happy