The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  dumb accident puts me out of commision
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 4:49 pm    

I did a really stupid thing today. I’ve been working on installing a new furnace in our house doing a little every day. I was in the attached garage, I needed to make a hole in the roof for the flue pipe. I had a light on a stand that needed to be moved, I picked it up to move it, I was wearing a hat so I couldn’t see right above. The light bumped a tool that was stored on a shelf, causing it to fall; I didn’t see it before it struck my left wrist. I got a very deep cut, bleeding all over the place.

To the emergency room, to have it checked out. I have partially severed the tendon and nerve to the left thumb. On Monday, I have to see a hand surgeon; I will need to have surgery. I have a temp cast on, up to the elbow, and have to wear one for 4-6 weeks after surgery. Right now, I can’t hold the bar with my left hand. I am going to try to have a bar modified with some sort of add-on so I can possibly hold it. This really a downer, very depressing. It’s just a stupid accident, my fault for not paying enough attention. But I really hope I can keep playing while it heals. My typing is even slower then usual, with one hand.

Allan Munro

Pennsylvania, USA and Scotland
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 5:04 pm    

Sympathy Bill!

I know how you feel. Not literally but as regards being zapped by an accident - It was an argument with a table saw in my case.

Hope it all works out for you.

Best wishes, Allan.....

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!

Stan Schober

Cahokia, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 6:15 pm    

THat sucks, Bill.
I hope the prognosis for repair surgery is good.
In the mean time, maybe something like this would help?

you can get them from Stews http://www.stewsguitarslides.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=43

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 7:37 pm    

Yup, smacked my left thumb a good one June 25th...Stitches made it look like a wooly caterpillar

Since then I jump like a toad each time I pull the trigger on the chopsaw.

Got my thumb back. Here's hoping for you a similar speedy recovery.

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 7:47 pm    

Bill, someone here on the forum [vender] makes a bar with a ring attachment on top to slide your finger in to hold the bar,Can't remember who it is,maybe someone here will know. YOU BETCHA, DYK?BC.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 7:55 pm    

Bill,

Don't feel too bad. We all do those stupid things. Most of the time we get lucky and it doesn't do much damage. In your case, sounds like the docs will get you fixed up. Wish you all the best. Smile

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 8:00 pm    

Bill, you have my sympathy but try to look at it this way: It could have been worse: it could have been me. Whoa!

p.s. sorry about the wisecrack. I'm really sorry for your trouble and hope for a full recovery.

Eddie D.Bollinger

Calhoun City, Mississippi
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 8:36 pm    

Hey Mr. Moore,
I am so sorry to hear of this. I pray you are healed up and picking again quickly. I like seeing that Carter I sold you on your avatar.

Take care of that hand and keep us posted.

Eddie Bollinger
www.bollingerfamilytheatre.com

Ray McCarthy

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 1:36 am    

Good thing it wasn't your right hand, Bill. you can learn to handle the bar with a pretty messed up left hand. (Just ask Bobbe Seymore!) I lost part of my left thumb and most of the index finger on a table saw about 12 years ago, and although there are still some things I can't do, like picking the bar up and using the tip, I can play good enough. Our bass player (leader of our group) lost all four of the fingers on his left hand years ago, down to stubs, and he still plays the bass somehow.

We always consider these accidents to be "stupid", but the fact is we're imperfect people in an imperfect world, and, as the bumper sticker says--$#!^ happens! Sad

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 2:39 am    

Bill, tendons can be repaired, but ask the doctor about playing during the recovery time. You could undo the repair of you put too much stress on it.

Your priority after the surgery will be to do your prescribed exercises, and you may have to stop playing temporarily till your hand is completely healed.

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 5:20 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Bill, you have my sympathy but try to look at it this way: It could have been worse: it could have been me. Whoa!

p.s. sorry about the wisecrack. I'm really sorry for your trouble and hope for a full recovery.

Jim,

It could have been really devistating! If you know what I mean.

Bill,

Seriously, you can get past this, take it slow, listen to Perlowin, it will heal up. Everybody makes mistakes. I am just now healing up from an injury that has had me unable to play pedal steel for about as year now. It sucks but $H!T happens.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Best
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 7:03 am    

I have never been one to believe things happen for a purpose or that a serious injury could ever be a good thing.
But your injury presents you with a challenge and that could result in a good thing.
I believe you are up to the challenge.
Wish you a speedy recovery and greatness to follow.
Bo & Stuart

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 7:13 am    

Bill,
Been there, done that, my former boss nicknamed me "fingers", I was always cutting,mashing,or mangling a finger in some way.

All the best to you for a speedy recovery...do what the Doc says.

Bill

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 8:41 am    

Real bummer!!!! Our sympathy AND our prayers are with you for a FULL and speedy recovery.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 8:56 am    

I’ve never mentioned this before, but in 1974 I had an accident in which one of the tendons of my right hand was severed, partially paralyzing the hand. It was repaired, and within 18 months was as good as if it had never happened.

I was given exercises to do while I was recovering, which I did. But the doctor told me NOT to attempt to play any of my instruments. He said that I might possibly tear open the tendon again.

It was hard not being able to play, but I did what I was told, and when the doctor finally gave me the go-ahead to start playing, I had all my co-ordination and could play as well as I could before the accident.

DON'T SCREW AROUND WITH THIS. If you do what the doctors tell you, and do your exercises, you will recover. Don't jeopardize that recovery by being impatient to start playing before you're ready.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 9:21 am    

Thanks for all the well wishes. I feel better today. Mike, I know what you mean, I'm very thankful that this did not happen to my right hand. I'm sure that it will be OK eventually, I need to retain the level of mediocrity in my playing!!

Jim, don't worry, I get it! Smile

Eddie, I do enjoy playing that Carter, Sometimes, I am shocked at how good it sounds.

Thanks again, everyone.

Bill

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 9:29 am    

Bill,
I know how you feel. A few years ago, a chain ripped off the end of my middle finger on my left hand. But there is a brite side. Now when I play way up high on the neck, it's easyer to stay in pitch because now I can see the frett marker thats directly behind the bar. Laughing I hope you heal up fast. Follow Mike's advise and really take it easy during recovery.

Mitch

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 9:40 am    

Bill, don't beat youself up too much. Life takes turns that we never plan. This is just the nature of life. It's the freak accidents that get us sometimes. I've seen this over and over. The older I get the more cautious I have become. I've seen too much. Give it time. You will heal.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 1:19 pm    

Hang in there Bill, I about cut my thumb, index and middle finger off three years ago. I can't a pick on my Index but I've learned to cope and change to a striat pick.
Good luck and don't ever give up.
BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 6:38 pm    

Last year I fell out of an avocado tree onto a rockery and broke my elbow. It was six weeks before I could play again. It felt like an eternity. Sounds like you'll be okay. It could be worse. Look what happened to Bobbe Seymour. He lost two fingers and he's still playing. Whoa!
Keep us abreast of how you come along and hang in there. Winking

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2009 9:19 am    

Update; I had the surgery on Friday. I think it went OK, except that the nerve was to mangled to repair, so I have a numb area on the back of my hand, between the thumb and first finger. It seems like my thumb is able to move correctly, within the limitations of the huge cast I’m wearing. I’m hoping that a smaller cast will go on, when I go back for a follow up visit to the doctor next Friday. Not really any pain, just a burning sensation from the cut nerve. Now I just need to be patient for a few weeks.

bill

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2009 10:40 am    

Bill, I speak for everybody when I say we are all glad the repair went OK. Personally, having gone through something similar 35 years ago, I'm not surprised.

But I tell you again, the repair can come undone if you put the wrong kind of strain the hand. Don't attempt to play unless and until the doctor says it's OK, and do your prescribed exercises as much and as often as you can.

Typically, these types of injuries result in the loss of some movement, because the patient is not militant enough about doing the rehabilitative exercises. The surgeon who operated on me told me after the operation that the amount of movement and co-ordination I would recover depended entirely on how hard I worked at it.

Well, I became fanatical about it. I'd do things like go to the movies and do the exercises while watching the film.

But because I did so, I got all my co-ordination back. the Doctor said he had never seen a faster or more thorough recovery. (After I was completely healed, I brought a guitar to a follow up appointment and played a piece that required some very complex finger-picking.)

Allan Munro

Pennsylvania, USA and Scotland
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2009 12:50 pm    

Sounds like it could have been a worse outcome. Take careful note of what Mike said above. I took the same attitude when I was injured and I have got all of the movement and strength back. I have a semi-dead finger from the point of view of feeling but it all works just fine. As Mike said, be serious as regards the exercises.

I wish you all the best for a great recovery.

Regards, Allan.....

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2009 8:54 am    

update;

I got the new cast on Friday. I have modified a bar so that I am able to play, at least a little. I glued a strip of velcro to the bar, epoxy-glued a couple of rings(pvc pipe) together to stick the fingers through. Added some tape to make it more comfortable. It works, not perfect, but I am able to play enough to get by. I just bend the fingers to get a solid grip In the bar. It’s harder to control the bar. I have to concentrate much harder. I can’t use a double body guitar, so I will be playing my BMI S-10 for the time being. I have a gig on Saturday, I will be able to contribute a little, I’ll need to keep it simple. Here are a few pics, the casts, the bar etc.

this is the first, bulky cast.

the new cast.

the bar.

this is how i need to hold my hand while playing.

Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2019 7:43 pm     Clever

Very ingenious design. What glue sticks to smooth stainless steel?