The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Serial Numbers
Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 1:06 pm    

Jon, that would put it at about Feb 5th, 1977.
I don't have any other info other than what you posted.

Michael

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/

Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 1:07 pm    

Thank you, Michael!

Andrew Szumowski

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 9:25 am     Help identifying serial # 13536

Hello everybody! I have a (mostly two-toned) Gretsch-era D10 Sho-Bud serial #13536 (stamped on wood and on metal inside, and the metal ser # stamp is located just above wood ser # stamp on the undercarriage side). Rocking a somewhat standard 8 pedals and 5 levers. No model name, but the Sho-Bud (Nashville) brand sticker is intact and under the clear lacquer. I need some help identifying exactly what I have here. Mystery pickups, too. Head scratcher for sure, but beautiful with no neck inlays, and this wild triple-wood/mother of pearl inlay job on the front. What do I have here??

I've heard from Ricky who guessed that it's a '78 Pro II Custom with a custom or re-done front apron, Rusty Rhoads thinks it's either a Faux-Bud or an early 80s Arkansas-built Pro III custom, and I've heard some folks opin that it might be a two-toned Super Pro custom built for an artist or someone who never picked it up or installed a nameplate. There's varying evidence for either of the 3 possibilities.

Peavey Session400
Peavey Nashville400

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 10:18 am    

I would wager that guitar left the factory in '78 as just a plain old generic Pro II, with all the mods and inlay/re-finish work done later. It's not Pro III, which was essentially a Pro II with metal necks. It's not Super Pro, they have completely different body, end plates, etc. It's just a Pro II with some mods. The angle of the curved bouts on the necks where they meet the tailpiece looks a little too flat like they were re-shaped, or perhaps built new. Lots of stray holes on the underside, like they re-positioned all the pedals or something. The teardrop knees look like James Morehead repros, the stock knees would have been the straight cast pot metal jobs. The pickups are interesting, the top plates look sort of ZB-ish. In any case, it looks like a nice rig.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 11:03 am    

Yeah I pretty much go with what Ian just said. Dick Miller did a LOT of finishes on Bethels and refinishes on ShoBud and he always seemed to use that same Mother-of-pearl inlay; so I wouldn't put it past a Dick Miller finish for someone that wanted that two-tone color scheme...ha.
And Yes James Morehead made Curved knees that would fit the hex cross shaft knee-mounts...yeehaaa...
I also don't know those pickups...but if Ian said they look like ZB...then they probably are..OH and those are "slick" narrow pedals right?? Those were certainly Pro~II Custom.
That Serial number is August 1978.

Ricky

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 8:14 am    

Hello Mr. Michael Yahl and Shobud gurus, I'm wondering if this '73 D10 is in your database? I'd love to know where it was sold originally. SN 4100 with a very small 4 stamp for some reason. I was told its a '71 and the case has '71 written on it but serial #'s don't lie. I think the seller lost a few years in there..the '70s was a wild time Laughing I just rebuilt the C6 changer and am still setting that neck up. The E9 is playable, but I'll work on that changer next, the C6 was gummed up bad. Original pickups and coil tap works great. Overall seems in very solid shape.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 2:50 pm     4100

September 1973
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 3:37 pm    

Thanks Rick. I found that date from the list but was wondering if there's any more info in the company register.

Bruce T Meyer

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 4:20 pm     Sho-Bud Pro-1

Hey Gene, welcome to the forum as well, I just joined the forum today. I noticed that you are good at serial numbers, I have a Sho-Bud Pro 1 with the serial number 5386 stamped on the underside. Could you tell me when it was built and where is was shipped to? I live in the Detroit Michigan area and bought it at a Guitar Center in Southfield MI around 2005. I look forward to see what you have to say. The sales person at Guitar Center said that it was traded in by a grandson of one of the musicians at Motown.

Bruce T Meyer

Ronnie Myers

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 8:16 pm     Sho bud serial 2669

This steel was owned by Cal Freeman said to work for and bought by Ray Price Cal produced Ronnie Dunn,Barbra Mandrell,ZZ Top and many others played on Hay Ride been around i worked with him on sessions and this guitar was given to me i am currently rebuilding it to modern standards hard to get parts Rick McNamara is trying to work me through it what year is this who built it ???thank you

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 6:11 am     Re: Sho bud serial 2669

Ronnie Myers wrote:
This steel was owned by Cal Freeman said to work for and bought by Ray Price Cal produced Ronnie Dunn,Barbra Mandrell,ZZ Top and many others played on Hay Ride been around i worked with him on sessions and this guitar was given to me i am currently rebuilding it to modern standards hard to get parts Rick McNamara is trying to work me through it what year is this who built it ???thank you

October 1972
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 6:38 am    

David, yours was built about early July '73.

Ronnie, I have no other info on yours. What model is it, color, pedals, knees, built by tag?

Thanks

Michael

PSG PARTS

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 10:17 am    

Was #14449 Super Pro a 79 model?

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 10:26 am    

Gary, yes, about April '79

Michael

PSG PARTS

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 12:12 pm    

Thanks Michael

Bruce Blackburn

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 10:47 am    

Super Pro SN 14677? Anything on that?

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2021 6:48 am    

Hello Bruce, Yours is the first in the 146XX sequence and I've got nothing. Gene has the actual build records.

I'm gonna say late May of '79

Michael

PSG PARTS

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2021 6:34 am    

The guy I bought this Professional from said he was told that it is a 1975, but by judging from the pickups (2 screws thru top of pickup), I believe it to be an earlier model, like a 1971?

This short thread kinda confirms it, am I off track?

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=180303&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=16871ed0e28c286484ad7467c3327af4

The main Sho~Bud serial info states that the serial numbers from 7001 to 8109 are lost, but apparently they went out of sequence in the early 70's for some reason.

Thanks!

Nicholas Thomas

St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2021 8:07 am    

I would say your right on the money, if I were to guess it would be 1970-1971 model guitar.

Todd Snelgrove

Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2021 10:37 am    

Hi everyone! New member/new player here, and I'm excited to have found such an awesome forum about my new obsession.

I have a Sho-Bud Maverick, serial number 2638. I have gleaned from other posts in this thread that it was made in September of 1972, but if anyone could supply any other details or information about this instrument I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks!

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2021 11:48 am    

Thanks for your response this past july Michael, I just logged back on after months away.

Ross Harrell

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2021 9:45 am     Sho-Bud "The Professional"

I just bought this from a small music store in Kentucky. It had been for sale there for 7 months and I just ordered it online, and drove there from Atlanta to pick it up. Its very dirty and heavily gigged. Serial number 7827. The case has "J. DUNN NORMAL IL" stamped on it- it came with the seat, a volume pedal, and a Peavey Session 500. I have a consultation/lesson set up with a real steel player tomorrow to figure out how to get it up and running.

James Polk

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2022 12:12 pm    

David Weisenthal wrote:
Hello Mr. Michael Yahl and Shobud gurus, I'm wondering if this '73 D10 is in your database? I'd love to know where it was sold originally. SN 4100 with a very small 4 stamp for some reason. I was told its a '71 and the case has '71 written on it but serial #'s don't lie. I think the seller lost a few years in there..the '70s was a wild time Laughing I just rebuilt the C6 changer and am still setting that neck up. The E9 is playable, but I'll work on that changer next, the C6 was gummed up bad. Original pickups and coil tap works great. Overall seems in very solid shape.

I'd love to see more photos of the underside of this! The reverser mechanism looks interesting to say the least. Any insight as to whether that was standard at one point?

Stephen Randall

Nevada, USA (Originally London, UK)
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2022 6:48 pm    

Hi Sho-Bud fans and gurus... Interested to get any more info on my Sho-Bud S-10 Pro 1, Serial #15023 from 1979. It originally had 3 pedals and 2 levers and was modded with period correct levers by Mike at Steel Guitars Ohio to have 4 levers. Not sure why it has the rope inlay rather than the more standard style but maybe that was the style that month?

Thanks and a Happy New Year!

Songwriter, Logic Pro. PRS Custom 24, Epiphone Sheraton II Pro, American Fender Tele, Fender Jazzmaster, Squire Jazzmaster, '59 Epiphone Semi Acoustic, Fender Jazz Bass, Taylor 614ce Acoustic, Line 6 Variax JTV, Stepp DG1, Gretsch Lap Steel, Nord Piano 4, Mullen Discovery. Sho-Bud S-10 Pro 1.

Alan Struthers

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 2:52 pm    

I just bought a Sho-Bud Pro II Custom D10, 8X4, beautiful red finish, serial number 12100. Is there any information available about this guitar?

(FYI, the guitar is undergoing some repairs now. I'll post photos later.)