The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Message To All Members Of The Forum
Scott Shipley

The Ozark Mountains
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2009 3:40 pm    

He emailed me a cheeseburger.

You guys know that I was just kidding right? I just think it's ridiculous to even be discussing the merits of someone who's been inducted. It's a moot point, and as b0b said earlier, everyone on that board is MORE than qualified to be there. Not that this will ever be a concern, ha ha, but personally I would consider it a HUGE honor just to be considered. Whole buncha sour grapes if you ask me.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2009 5:22 pm    

ok scott....you're being considered! and anybody being 'considered' this year is automatically in!!

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2009 5:23 pm    

Nothing against Barbara Mandrell...but you're gonna tell me that Rusty Young was less deserving? Fer cryin out loud, he was arguably one of the best west-coast steelers (along with Red, J.D., Bobby Black) yet is the only one to not yet be inducted.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2009 7:44 pm    

It's a popularity convention brother's , you know the rules, it ain't about how many note's you can play,, if you aint a famous picker, you ain't gonna be there! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Now.. Jokes aside! This girl deserves it, she is great and really is the real deal as well as entertainer, oh man, can she pick!! Smile
I have to vote 'Yes' ON THIS ONE!

Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2009 8:04 am     Not as ridiculous as it seems...?

Ken Byng wrote:
Next year's nominees?

1. Ron Wood

2. Robert Randolph

3. Jerry Garcia

Just kidding. I would never argue with any of the panel's decisions over the years. All of those inducted have done some service for the steel guitar in one way or another. (It would be nice to see Messrs Seymour and Garrish in there sometime - nudge nudge, wink wink) Laughing

Ms Mandrell certainly can play, and still make lots of eye contact at the same time. I have lots of respect for her playing, as well as the studio pros and road warriors who do and don't make the cut for nomination as well as induction.

I confess that I don't know squat about the SGHOF criteria, but I note that the word "Country" doesn't appear in the title. It would seem reasonable that some weight might be given for the role of a musician in exposing new audiences to the steel guitar. On that basis, nomination based on Jerry Garcia's playing for NRPS and CSNY, and Robert Randolph's appearances at countless jam band festivals doesn't seem as absurd as your post might suggest. Jimi Hendrix and Frank Zappa were elected to the Downbeat HOF even though they weren't, strictly speaking, jazz musicians.

Personally, I believe that any organization such as the SGHOF should acknowledge the tireless efforts of a Bobbe Seymour to promote the instruments, both pedalled and not. I've learned a lot from him from you tube, and never sent the man a dime.

And there are lots of unsung heroes of the instrument who don't play country. It's not exclusively a country instrument. I doubt Freddie Roulette and Hop Wilson are in the SGHOF, and maybe they should rate some kind of consideration.

I usually lurk in this type of discussion, but I couldn't resist taking the bait to encourage thinking about the steel, which is certainly at it's core a country instrument, more broadly! Just food for thought, again, I can see how folks in the trenches might feel a little burned when the folks that already get plenty of attention receive additional accolades for skills that may not be at the pinnacle of the craft!