The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Impro-Visor (free BIAB alternative?)
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2009 1:24 pm    

Has anyone here heard about, or tried, "Impro-Visor"? It appears to be a free-license BIAB alternative, developed at Harvey Mudd College. May not have as many bells and whistles as BIAB but may do the basic job for free. They seem to promote it mostly for jazz and, especially, for learning (by example) how to solo over jazz changes.

Anyway, if you'd like to check it out, here's the link: https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/

I haven't had time to download it and play with it yet so, if you do, please post back here what you think about it.

Thanks,
JC

p.s. Just found another potentially interesting and apparently free site where you key in your chord changes online and it creates instant midi backup tracks for you to play or download to your own computer. Check it out at http://www.songtrellis.com/

Phil Sikes

Greenbank, WA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2009 12:48 pm    

I downloaded this last night and will more than likely use it to supplement my BIAB use. It is geared very strongly towards jazz and was designed, it seems, to try and teach people how to improvise or at least work on their improv skills. As a jazz head on guitar I found it very useful.

Phil