The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Douglas Fishman Aura pedal
Jonathan Mitguard

San Rafael, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2009 5:06 pm    

Has anyone tried one of these? I am hoping it might work with the pick up I already have in my guitar rather than having to purchase and install the Fishman pickup that the pedal is designed for. Might any of you have experience with this?

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=104

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2009 6:57 pm    

What pickup do you have in your guitar? This is the key to the whole thing.

Bill Flores

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2009 8:07 pm     Jerry Douglas Fishman Aura

I have a Schertler Basik in my Dobro that works amazingly well with the Douglas Aura pedal. The Schertler on its own sounded great, and the pre-amp is small enough that I can velcro it to the Aura. A great tool for live use.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 4:54 am    

I was involved with trials of various p/u's and the Aura pedal. Results with the Schertler were "OK". The pedal did provide a benefit, but not as profound as the saddle p/u. We were also able to drive volume levels a _LOT_ higher with the Fishman saddle p/u. I think that was to be expected.

Caveat: "involved" also means I work for Beard Guitars that had a hand in the p/u design. Winking

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 8:43 am    

I played a show the other night (with my Wechter-Sheerhorn Ickes model, no pickup, through a mic) and got to hear a friend playing his rig, Wechter- Sheerhorn with the saddle transducer and aura pedal through a fishman amp.
His sound was very authentic to the acoustic tone, sonded great and plenty loud without feedback. Very impressive compared to most other amplification systems I've heard.

Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 9:14 am    

Howard, any trials with the Aura pedal and a Lace dobro sensor or other magnetic pickup?

Just curious!

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 9:31 am    

Yes..

We tested the Beard Road-O-Phonic with it's Lace. The results were "underwhelming". Personally I would not spend the money.

I do not speak for my employer Winking

Anyone that hasn't heard the Aura system can check out several clips on YouTube. Look for Jimmy Heffernan and Mike Auldridge playing their Aura equipped guitars. Reso fans can find other useful/entertaining clips. Checkout Stacy Phillips and the "Lesson".

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Julian Goldwhite

Alhambra, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 9:34 am    

Hi Jonathan,

I tried the J.D. Aura with the older Fishman pickup (the little donut one) that was in my gigging dobro and it was not very useful IMHO - low volume and not much realism tonally. Recently I installed the new Fishman saddle pickup that was made for the Aura in my dobro and couldn't be happier with the results. The difference is like night and day, can't comment on what the Aura does for other pickups, but you can't go wrong with using the properly matched set! Totally worth the dinero if you are playing out with a spider style reso.

All the best,

Julian

Adam Gejdos

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 10:04 am    

I use the matching fishman pickup and aura pedal. The pickup is worth the price IMHO. I have used them in gigs from outdoor festivals to coffee houses and can't live without them. I also saw Jerry Douglas with Elvis Costello a few weeks back and it sounded amazing (of course!).

Bill Quinn

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 11:01 am    

Ditto on the above two postings for use with the matching pickup the system is a knockout.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 11:04 am     Aura

I like mine a lot. Hint: get a pro dobro tech to install it.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 12:48 pm    

Another vote for "under-whelming" when used with a different pickup.

I had these pickups installed in my MAS and Clinesmith, recently at the Beard shop. They are the best reso pickups I ever had. The Aura unit makes them even better, sorta a "super EQ" box.

I couldn't resist trying the unit on everything from a cheapo reso with an old Fishman doughnut to a vintage Stringmaster. IMO, it's only good for it's intended mate.

Did I say I'm happy with the system?

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 5:20 pm    

The only concern I have with the Aura system, other than the cost, is the integrated saddle pickups.
They make sense, but what happens when you need to replace a saddle? I just had to replace the treble side saddle on my reso because of chipping in the first string slot from the string slipping out.
Do you have to buy a whole new saddle set when that happens? Is there a replacement policy?
It's pretty cheap to keep a standard replacement saddle around, in fact, that's what I did and I was back up and running in the time of a string change.
Seems like it would be more expensive/time-consuming with the Aura saddles?

Jonathan Mitguard

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 9:33 pm    

thanks everyone for the input. I reckon I should try the pedal out with my current saddle pickup and if it doesn't cut it spring for the rest. I look forward to actually being heard and having a tone that is worth listening to.

Jonathan Mitguard

Post  Posted 29 Oct 2009 5:29 pm    

Well I finally got one of these pedals and it is fantastic. It works well with my current pick up. When $$ permit I may go for the full Fishman and spider set up but this is so much better even as is. Ah free at last, from a mic that is.