The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joe Eddie Goff, Gene Watson's Piano Man of many Years Passes
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2009 7:01 am    

Sadly, I was informed yesterday morning while out on the road that Joe Eddie had passed away after his battle with cancer. It was Tony Booth who also toured with Gene back in the 80s who called me with this very sad information. I don't know the particulars at this time regarding arrangements and the like.

A little Joe Eddie Goff history... He came to work with us with Gene in June of 1978. Prior to Joe joining the band we were a four piece band plus Gene playing an Ovation while he performed. When Joe joined the band it was a huge improvement to our sound as he played such great, rhythmic and country piano. He was a big fan of Hargus "Pig" Robbins and could play Pig's cool left hand style really well. Besides working the road gigs Joe was a member of the band when we started cutting Gene's records. Some of Gene's hits on which Joe played include but are not limited to, "Got No Reason Now For Going Home", "Sometimes I Get Lucky" and "Memories To Burn". Joe had worked for Gene for over 30 years and that's really cool in itself.

Over the past year Joe was unable to return to the road due to the cancer although I believe it was his desire to get back out there.

I have many funny and fond memories of Joe. We did many things together as a band back then as we spent just so much time out on the road. I'm proud to say he was my friend of over 30 years too. I'll sure miss him.

May The Lord bless and keep Joe Eddie in his loving embrace. We'll miss ya "Grandma."

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2009 12:09 pm    

This is a sad time. Another one of the good guys gone. RIP Joe Eddie. May GOD bless, comfort, and keep the family always. Jody.

Dale Bessant

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2009 5:45 am    

Thanks Tiny for the sad news......I had the great fortune of working a couple of shows with that very band must have been just after you left Tiny, anyways that is the piano style I always will associate with Gene's music.....I will always remember him...Rest in Peace...

Red Kilby

Pueblo, CO, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2009 12:38 pm    

I am so sorry to hear this news Tiny, Joe Eddie was great guy as you know, and so much fun to be around, always had a story he could tell ya. Please if you contact his family give them my condolences. Talk to you soon my friend, Red.

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2009 5:01 am    

So sorry to hear this...such a great person and a great player! Our prayers are with his family.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2009 6:52 am    

I met Joe Eddie,Tony and Tiny in Nashville back in 1983, they were passing through town and were staying at the same hotel I was staying at. Ya'll were really good people to talk to. May God comfort his family at this time. I like the "Pig" Robbins style of piano. I did a session locally a couple of years ago and the guy that produced the disk incorporated that same style of piano playing. I called the licks "Pig licks" because it sounded like something Hargus and Joe Eddie would play. Tiny we have remember all good times. It seems at first that one gets sad over one's passing but then it gets better with time.
Tommy Shown

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2009 7:05 am    

Thanks for all your prayers, kind words and condolences guys. Joe was laid to rest this past Monday as I found out later that same day. He had been living with his older sister and her husband for the past year and it was they who made the arrangements.

On a happier note... I have thought often about Joe Eddie over the past few days and all the memories are good. Many have really made me laugh out loud or at least smile. Joe lived life large. He was able to live his life his way. He lived more in 70 yrs. than most people could in 150 yrs.

Thanks again and God Bless you all and our pal, Joe Eddie.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" O.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2009 6:55 pm    

You have found the answer,Tiny. As hard as it is right now, Joe Eddie wants you to stay strong and live it to the fullest.
Thanks for you guys taking the time to talk to me over 20 years ago.
Tommy Shown

Jack Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2009 12:05 pm    

I am so sorry to hear this. I loved and respected Joe dearly. What a joy he always was to be around. My sincere condolences to his family.