The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jim Harper Passed Away
Harvey Kimray

Edgewood, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2009 6:53 pm    

It is with sadness that Jim Harper passed away today Aug 14.
All of your prayers for him during his time of illness was greatly appreciated. We need to keep his family in prayer during this trying time of sorrow.
Harvey Kimray

Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2009 7:30 pm    

May God bless and comfort Mrs Peg and the Harper family , and the many friends that were close to Jim.

Skip

James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2009 8:06 pm    

This is sad news.
Jim and I corresponded via. e-mail. I had the pleasure of meeting him in Dallas last year. Just a brief, enjoyable friendship. I'll miss him. Sad
NRA Life member

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2009 11:55 pm    

What a sad day. I knew Jim from back in the Tuttle days, when he would come to the steel club meetings. He contributed much more than his great talent, Jim was everyone's friend. I will miss him. Our condolences to Peggy and the Harper family in this time of tragedy. Crying or Very sad

ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2009 3:45 am    

What sad news. I, too, never got to meet Jim in person but corresponded with him via e-mail. I hope it OK to show this picture that Jim sent me to put on the forum. It was taken at the little old school house where he had played at so many years. God Bless his family and he will be missed. Ray

Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2009 4:40 am    

Sorry to hear this. I never personally met Jim but he corresponded with me regularly when I was going through chemo and kept me going.

J. R. McClung

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2009 8:04 am    

Ray,

That picture was taken in the old Pleasant Ridge School in Temple, Oklahoma. Lots of good memories there.

As soon as Dad calls, I will post funeral information.

Joel

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2009 8:28 am    

Jim's passing is another of the "good-guys" gone.

I first met Jim at the steel-jams at Tuttle, OK, a couple of years ago. We had mutual friends in the music business, and we usually set-up our rigs side by side so we could "fun" each other, and subsequently we became friends. Even then he was fighting his cancer but would bounce back after several surgeries to attend the jams with good humor and optimism. I sincerely hope that he enjoyed those sessions as much as we all did.

It has been said that a death diminishes all of us and I believe that to be true, especially in the steel guitar community. May God bless Peg in her loss, and also his little dogs that he also loved.

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2009 10:40 am    

This is sad,never met him,but we e-mailed each other,also we sent each other tapes of our playing,I know he was a GOOD man,God bless his family. DYK?BC.

J. R. McClung

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2009 2:58 pm     Funeral Information

Funeral for Jimmy Harper will be:

10:00 AM
Ray of Hope Church
Duncan, Oklahoma

If I remember right, this is about 5 miles south of town on Highway 81, at Refinery Rd.

http://www.legacy.com/duncanbanner/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=131413961

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2009 4:59 pm    

I sure am broken hearted to read this news. I had met Jim and conversed with him a few times and what a fine gentleman he was. My heart and prayers go out to his family during this most difficult time.

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2009 7:41 am    

Just in from the Harper family:

Hello all,

Service for Jim Harper will be on Monday, August 17th at 10AM. It will
take place at the Ray of Hope Church on S Highway 81 and Refinery Road.

We thank you for your thoughts and prayers,
The Harper Family

Gerald Cook

Lexington, OK USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2009 8:33 am    

I was having a senior moment this morning trying to remember Jim's last name so I did a search only to find that he had just recently past. WHAT A SHOCK!!! I loved being around Mr. Harper when he was playing at Tuttle, OK at our jam sessions. You could tell that he loved playing but most of all, he loved being with people. There were times that he would show up to play even though he didn't feel good. It was an honor and a privilege to have known him and played with him. He will surely be missed. May God Bless all of his family.

Jack Shults

Canadian, Oklahoma U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2009 9:34 pm     Jim Harper Passed Away

I was so sorry to hear that Jim passed away, and REALLY
sorry that I was out of town and didn't get to attend the funeral.

I met Jim in 1970 when he sold me my first pedal steel guitar. It was a triple neck Fender Stringmaster that he had put two pedals on.

His friendship didn't end after the sale either. He had me come out to his house several times and helped me get started. We had many good times during the past 39 years, and I really will miss him.

He was so proud of the times he got to attend the steel meetings in Tuttle and was exceptionally proud of the plaque that the group, there, presented to him.

He was truly lover of the steel guitar and we lost another one of the greats.

[/b]

Cass Broadview

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2009 8:32 pm    

This is so sad. I posted some photographs here on the forum a few years back for jim. They were of his beloved doggies. I made up a goodie bag of treats for his two dogs and sent it to them. We talked briefly on the phone a couple of times. Just a wonderful man. Jim enjoyed playing the older style of steel guitar that i enjoy so much. He sent me a couple of cd's he recorded and i still play them often. Such a dear soul. He will be sadly missed. Cass Broadview

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2009 5:57 am     Jim Harper

Jim came to Houston, I think for medical treatment, and joined us at our monthly meeting/jam of the Southeast Texas Steel Guitar Club. I would like to have known him better and longer. He was a genuinely nice guy and a good musician. He will be missed.

Skip T

Lubbock , Tx. U S A
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2009 11:28 am    

Mr Jim Harper was a really dear friend of mine. My wife and I stayed at their home several years ago and Peggy was such a great "host" to us. Jim loved his steel guitars, as you know, and he really got excited when anyone would ask him for some help or "how to" play this or that. Several years back he and our mutual friend Jack Shults, came to Lubbock to just spend the day visiting and playing our steels.

The Harper Family has asked me to post the following message:

MEMORIAL MUSIC JAM SESSION
for friends and family of
Mr Jimmy (Jim) Harper
Sunday Sept 20, 2009
2 - 6 PM
Duncan Senior Center
FREE to the public
All musicians bring your gear and join the JAM
Come & Go to fit your schedule

All friends and family, come listen and enjoy
Bring your favorite photos of Jim etc.
Bring your favorite desert dish
(Coffee and drinks provided)

John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2009 6:44 pm    

I am saddened and my heart is torn out. Jim one of the first friends I found who loved the steel guitar like I, Living in Lawton, Ok we became friends instantly. He helped me buy my 1st steel guitar and how to tune it. We spent many hours online and a few lessons here and there. Karen and I would square dance at the senior center in Duncan and stop by and see them when they played. I remember many fun times a Copperton Ok a very small out of the way dance hall they played from time to time. We have lost one of the truely good guys. He fought a good battle and I will miss my friend greatly. Our prayers go out to Peggy and the family. Jim is a big reason why I moved to South East Texas to be near the great pickers in our area.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2009 8:05 am    

Oh my. I knew there was a reason I don't look a this section of the forum very often.

Jim was a big help to me when I was getting started, and was simply one of the "good guys".

My condolences to his family.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Lorren White

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2009 2:02 pm     James Harper

I just returned from being out of town and I was so sorry to read that Jim had gone to be with his Lord. What a special man he became to the group who met at Tuttle. Even after his surgery he was so up-beat never a down word to say always happy to help anyone who would ask. Yes, he will be missed!