The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  don bristow
Dwight Cook

Amarillo, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2009 8:22 am    

don passed fri.eve at 6:30, a great steel and guitar picker, he has lived in vegas for the last several years.
if anyone knows kenny penny please let him of don,s
passing.
thx. dwight

Dwight Cook

Amarillo, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2009 9:07 am    

I don't belive I said nearly enough about Don in my first post. At the age of twelve he was a world champion banjo player. Then he took up guitar and there was never anyone better than him on guitar either. With his pedals he could make that instrument sound like a steel guitar and he used to use one of those Pete Drake talking devices Outstanding!!!

Don worked a lot with Dugg Collins in the Amarillo area years ago. Dugg always told me that nobody could play better than Don Bristow and he's right. It was on Duggs suggestion that he take up playing steel and he conquered the instrument in a very short time.

Just about every musician who was worth their salt probably worked with Don by in the good ol' days of the 70's and 80's. If you weren't worth your salt he would tell you so. (he did have some Curley Chalker in him)

Please keep his wife Ruby and daughter Robyn in your prayers. If you didn't know Don Bristow, you missed a treat for sure. HE WAS THE BEST.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2009 12:23 pm    

I'm very grateful to Don Bristow because when I first came west from Indiana in the 1970s I went to Las Vegas and ended up in a lounge at 4:00 AM where Don was playing. I asked him what is that thing you play and do you know where I can get one, and he did, and so I started playing steel guitar, which I guess is a good thing, so altho I never saw him again, I did find his email thru this Forum and I thanked him again.

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2009 1:15 pm    

Sorry to hear of Mr Don's passing. My thoughts and prayers to Miss Ruby,and Miss Robyn and their family.
And yes he was a very talented musician...
RP...'come on in'...

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2009 11:10 am    

I knew Don back when he lived in the Phoenix area, we did a few sessions together and he was fun to work with and a great player. Rest in peace Don.

Mark Frederick

The Great State of Arizona
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2009 11:07 am    

Rest easy, ole friend. We'll see you again.

Mark

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2009 5:20 pm    

What a great musician,a magic ear. He could listen to a record and tell you note for note what he heard.Don was my dear freind,when he lived in East Mesa,during spring traning, he picked me up everyday so we could check out the "Cubbies",his favorite.Then back too his house so he could show me some tricks on the steel.He kept my Clake double neck at his house for practice as his guitar was set up at work.We talked by phone almost every sunday up untill the time he became so weak and having a hard time breathing.Ruby kept me up to date on his status.Mark Fredrick called me and gave me the sad news I wish I didn't have to hear.I will miss you old freind,but will be seeing you soon.Rest in peace.Ruby,remember,call me for anything.
Ray

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2009 4:21 pm    

I am so sorry to hear this...I worked a lot of jobs with Don in the Phoenix area several years ago. Since I have moved back to LV, I have not been in touch with Don nor Ruby...I am so sorry. Rest in Peace, old Pal.

Billy Easton
Las Vegas, NV

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2009 2:22 pm    

When I first moved to Amarillo in 1975, don was one of the first steel guitar players that I met. Over the next few years he came and went a little, but when he was in town I went to hear him quite often. He was a friendly, funny witty guy not to mention a monster player.

I think my fondest memory was playing twin steels at the Caravan Club one Sunday night. A very educational night, not to mention very humbling. He will certainly be missed. Thanks God I do have some personal memories of him as do many players.

My prayers go out to Ruby and family.