The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Is this true what I've heard?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Is this true what I've heard?
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 9:19 am    

I asked a dealer what the story was in regard to booth rental at the show because I was interested in selling some steels, guitars, etc. He said Scotty takes a hefty cut on the sale of used items or, generally, doesn't allow that type of booth usage. As one who has had booths at quite a few guitar shows I thought that was odd. Is what I've heard true?

Thanks.

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 2:31 pm    

Mr Eric,
I would suggest you contact Mr Scotty, and discuss that with him. That would eliminate the " he said,thay said,she said " route.
There are many,many items sold there, guitars, amps,steels,effects units etc. But I do not know the ground rules.
Mr Scotty can give you that info...
Good luck,
RP...'come on in'...

DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 11:28 pm     Eric

Eric...The rules of the Convention for distributors is like the rules for the NAMM show. You are allowed to display only the products you manufactor and not open to Music Stores or someone that expects to unload their stock and a a huge discount.

It is true that the only Music store related booth is Scotty's Music. They have financed the Convention all these years and have a huge investment.

It is true that we have what is called a "Goodie Bin" where we allow people to bring their used instruments and we sell them for them. Of course, we expect a profit and we get together with the person and dscuss the price befoe the final price is set. This give the seller a chance to decide right then and there if they want to put their instrument for sale or not. I hope this information will explain how we structure the prices. It is better than buying off eBay as the buyer gets to see what he is buying. It also keeps out people that would like to use the International Steel Guitar Convention as a "dumping ground". Scotty

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2009 9:00 am    

Come on guys.....how could anyone covet a small profit from Scottie's activities related to the convention, after all, he is the God-Father of the entire event that would not be possible otherwise, and as much as I am sure that he would like to donate everything, financial constrictions do limit this option.

It costs money to present this event...let Scotty do what it takes to accomplish it, and lets hope that he at least "breaks even"!

Luv ya Scottie, and best wishes from Yukon, OK......

Gene Jones

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2009 1:37 am    

My original question was a reasonable one. As I mentioned, I often get a booth at shows and I had heard the St. Louis show was different in that regard. So I asked and, since others might like to know, I put my question of the Forum. I certainly in no way "covet" (covet?!) some one else's potential profits. The use of that word in regard to my motive is laughable.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2009 4:43 am    

Eric, the question was legitimate, just the way it was phrased could have been different.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2009 12:16 pm    

There was nothing wrong with the question, or how it was asked. Why do you expect people to pussy-foot around these things? I do agree with Rob, the question should be asked of Scotty himself. That's ultimately who the deal will be with, and it's really no one elses business what they agree to.

The show is not a "public service". It's an commercial event promoted by Scotty, and he can run it any way he wants to. If you don't agree with how it's run, stay home, or better yet, start your own steel show.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2009 4:59 pm    

We had a young lady using the corporate network to sell Avon products.

It's always the polite thing to do to ask the ground rules.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2009 5:33 pm    

Ray Minich wrote:
We had a young lady using the corporate network to sell Avon products.

It's always the polite thing to do to ask the ground rules.

I agree. In the case of the vendor/promoter relationship, it's a necessity.

Where I grew up, the only heavy industry we had was a 300 lb. Avon lady. Laughing