The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which BIAB version to buy?
Tim Herbert

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 7:19 am    

Hi guys. Thanks to your help, I've decided to go ahead with a BIAB purchase. I'm thinking that the 2009 MegaPak (which includes Band-in-a-Box; RealBand, all Styles (77 Sets); some RealDrums (6 Sets); and some RealTracks (6 Sets)), probably meets my needs and price point of ~$200. The PG Music site has a HUGE amount of info about their products, almost too much, so I'm hoping you can clarify a couple of things for me please, based on your experience.

I primarily want to use backing tracks to practice to, in different keys, tempos, and styles. I think the MegaPak will get me there (I'm playing mostly country), true? But I'm also interested in the Audio Chord Wizard, which apparently can figure out chords in MP3/WAV/WMA files and CD-Audio tracks; that sounds way cool, if it works as described. I THINK the Chord Wizard is included in the MegaPak, but I also see it referenced in the Power Tracks Pro Audio component that appears to be an additional $49. So, I'm wondering:

- Is the Mega Pak a good choice?
- Is the Chord Wizard included in the 2009 Mega Pak?
- Is the Power Tracks Pro Audio a piece I really need?
- Any other thoughts or comments?

Thanks for any and all guidance. I'm hoping I can get this set up and start using it without too much time and trouble - looks like there are a lot of "moving parts" to BIAB! I do wish the vendor would sell a Pak based on style of music, but that's another discussion.

Thanks again - this Forum area has been very helpful!

David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 9:51 am    

Hi Tim,

Just my 2 cents worth.

I've been using the basic BIAB package for a little over a year with no add on features whatsoever. It suits my needs which are:

Create backing tracks that include drums, bass, rhythm guitar, piano and occasionally strings. I use it on a lap top PC as my rhythm section every Sunday morning in our Church praise team. I play pedal steel and there is a lead guitarist and 3 vocalist. With the LapTop/BIAB hooked directly into the sound board, we get a pretty respectable sound.

The only additional things that I use for this are the Ray Price Styles which can be purchesed here on the forum. (See top sticky)

This is not to imply that the other things are not very good, I'm sure that they are. But you can do a LOT with the basic package, than add on later as needed.

Best of luck to you.

David.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 9:59 am    

Another thing to consider,they should be coming out with a new version soon.You might find out by calling pg music.If so, it might be wise to wait for that..JMHO....

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 6:05 pm    

Tim, the MegaPak is a good choice and will give you everything you want to do with it and lots more.

Tim Herbert wrote:

- Is the Mega Pak a good choice?
- Is the Chord Wizard included in the 2009 Mega Pak?
- Is the Power Tracks Pro Audio a piece I really need?

The chord wizard is included in both BIAB and RealBand. I have an older version of BIAB (2004) and it also had the chord wizard feature but now it's better cause you can use mp3's with it instead of just midi files like my version. PowerTracks used to be included in the upgrades but I guess they replaced it with "RealBand" which basically combines the best features of both BIAB and PowerTracks.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2009 9:31 am    

I would consult PG Music with your request exactly as you phrased it on the Forum. They will honestly advise you on the right package. Great folks, dealt with them for almost 20 years.

Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2009 11:31 am    

Buy everything they've got. If you don't have a use for it now, you will eventually.
I use it for songwriting every day.
I have it on my laptop
and even took it with me on my holidays.

Kenneth P. Jones

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2009 6:37 pm     Question??

I have older BIAB version 9 & 10-and a friend told
me not to use it in windows xp-
Does anyone have a newer version that would help
me? Or is what i got ok?

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2009 6:53 pm    

Ken. I have used BIAB 6 and 10 in XP with no problems. That was some time ago, but just recently I did an install starting with BIAB 8 and up thru the upgrades to 2008 with no problems.

Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 27 Aug 2009 10:37 pm    

Kenneth, I was using a much older version (2004) than yours with Windows XP before I upgraded to 2009.5 and it worked just fine.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2009 5:43 am    

Andy. Just to clarify, BIAB ver. 8 came out in 1998. 2004 is a much later version.

Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2009 7:39 am    

Ooops! Embarassed