The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB versus Fender G-DEC 30 for practicing/backing
Tim Herbert

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 1:05 pm    

Hi guys. I have no experience with either BIAB or Fender G-DEC 30 amps, but I am looking for something to provide rhythms and chord changes for me to practice behind, and those two seem like possible competitors, that cost relatively the same. I'm computer-savvy, but I don't want to "waste" a lot of time setting up whichever tool I'm going to use, because I don't have enough practice time available as it is. I don't anticipate using whichever tool I choose for building tracks or recording (but you never know) - I'm a newbie player and just want to get a rhythm section behind me at this point. Make sense? I'm looking for pluses/minuses to either option, and suggestions for other products or techniques I might have overlooked that have helped you progress more rapidly as a plyaer. As always, thanks for your help! Tim

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 3:04 pm    

Not that familar with the Fender G-DEC 30 but I can say that with BIAB you can enter a chord progression or song to jam with then choose from hundreds of rhythms. Then you can change tempo in seconds and even loop a chord section to practice a certain part. You can change keys very easily and mute instruments you don't want in the rhythm track. BIAB is a very versatile tool to practice with.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 3:05 pm    

Go with BIAB. It's easy. No comparison to the Fender Amp with some preset rhythms. I never used one, but what I read about it, it's not even in the same category as BIAB.

Robert Tripp

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 4:38 pm    

Most of us probably haven't tried the fender amp in question, but if you are looking for a practice amp anyway, it may be a good one to have.

As far as tracks, from what I've read, you will be limited to a few basic patters, many of the patterns will most likely try to cover several genres of music which means than if you had say 100 patterns built in the amp, maybe 20 or 30 would be ones that you would want to use.

Biab is a great tool as well for experimenting with new melodies etc, so I'd go with biab. If it were me and needed a small practice amp anyway, I'd investigate the lil fender, but if its one or the other, BIAB would be my choice.

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.

Tim Herbert

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2009 5:01 am    

Thanks guys. Good advice, and I've decided to go the BIAB route. No doubt I'll be back here with more questions once I get it installed. Thanks again!

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2009 6:04 pm    

Good move Tim, you won't be sorry.